Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - 5 more years! (Contracted until 2027)

Remove this Banner Ad

His handballing s**t me to tears. Would have to be the worst hands in the league.

Every handball is a hospital hand pass that kills the momentum of play and usually results in scoring chain stopping dead. One handball last night legitimately probably went 10m straight up in the air that was intended for Aarts. Aarts would've been 10m in the clear of his opponent, but his opponent caught up by the ball came down to him.

Last edited:

His handballing sh*t me to tears. Would have to be the worst hands in the league.

Every handball is a hospital hand pass that kills the momentum of play and usually results in scoring chain stopping dead. One handball last night legitimately probably went 10m straight up in the air that was intended for Aarts. Aarts would've been 10m in the clear of his opponent, but his opponent caught up by the ball came down to him.
I feel its similar to kicking to close to man on mark. You gotta go up. He waits and waits, oppinent has closed the gap and suddenly he has to lob it up and over.

I feel its similar to kicking to close to man on mark. You gotta go up. He waits and waits, oppinent has closed the gap and suddenly he has to lob it up and over.

Often unfairly criticised Rioli, but this is fair criticism. 10 touches 5 tackles a goal and a goal assist not a bad haul for him last night, but he could definitely get some more venom and intent in his disposals.

i know Prestia and Edwards arent available atm,if and when they are Pickett and Stack go out.... permanently,Stack has clearly shown hes not up to the level this year Markovs a better option down back than him and Bolton's rocketed past both of them for midfield,in fact Bolton is in AA form and
Pickett and Stack are 2nds players on form,its either McIntosh or Caddy,u cant have both,id go with Mcintosh and Rioli ? hmmm i wouldnt be starting
him on the park

i know Prestia and Edwards arent available atm,if and when they are Pickett and Stack go out.... permanently,Stack has clearly shown hes not up to the level this year Markovs a better option down back than him and Bolton's rocketed past both of them for midfield,in fact Bolton is in AA form and
Pickett and Stack are 2nds players on form,its either McIntosh or Caddy,u cant have both,id go with Mcintosh and Rioli ? hmmm i wouldnt be starting
him on the park
Pickett is going nowhere

him on the park
Don’t know why any player would have their papers stamped and be permanently removed from consideration for selection. We don’t know how things will turn out with injuries/form to a number of players, how many wrote off Markov and look at him now.
Sure, Stack is out of form and probably falls behind in considerations, but he may yet be needed to play a role.
Pickett has been going along nicely and has clearly overtaken Caddy on the wing. He has made some mistakes, but more importantly provided a lot of drive and pressure/contested work. With Edwards & hopefully Prestia coming back, he might get pushed out, but he is not just a 2nds player.

Decent first half last night, but something he does regularly and in multiple games is when he gets the ball he theeeeen staaaarrrtsss toooo sloooooooooowwwww everythiiiing doooowwwwwwnnn.

I have no idea why and find myself screaming at the TV every time he gets the ball at half forward for him to just move it on and get it inside 50! You see space and forwards one out but he wants to slow it down till 5 other players have now gotten back, its like our anti gameplan but he does it week on week.

Decent first half last night, but something he does regularly and in multiple games is when he gets the ball he theeeeen staaaarrrtsss toooo sloooooooooowwwww everythiiiing doooowwwwwwnnn.

I have no idea why and find myself screaming at the TV every time he gets the ball at half forward for him to just move it on and get it inside 50! You see space and forwards one out but he wants to slow it down till 5 other players have now gotten back, its like our anti gameplan but he does it week on week.
It’s because he doesn’t have a very long field kick and when he gets it in that flank he has no one set up within his kicking distance

It generally happens when he takes a mark about 65 - 70m from goal after a surge play when we have 1 forward at home in the square (out of his range) and the other marking targets either running into our 50 and not set up yet or on the other flank

As frustrating as it is he is actually doing the correct thing waiting for am option to present instead of just bombing it and Praying someone can move into the space in time

I know this because I went to a match preview hosted by Dimma last year and someone asked this question as to why it happens

His stopping and waiting is killing our momentum on those fast breaks. A kick to space in front of someone even if it hits the ground is a much better result than his 15 second delay to allow the whole defence to get back.

That said he was pretty good last night, best game for a while.

His stopping and waiting is killing our momentum on those fast breaks. A kick to space in front of someone even if it hits the ground is a much better result than his 15 second delay to allow the whole defence to get back.

That said he was pretty good last night, best game for a while.
Except if he turns it over with that kick and the oppo teams can easily run it out of def with our defenders trying to set up for repeat entry’s and they get a easy kick over the top of them resulting for an easy goal for them

As I mentioned in my post before this is a coached decision not just Rioli doing what he wants

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Except if he turns it over with that kick and the oppo teams can easily run it out of def with our defenders trying to set up for repeat entry’s and they get a easy kick over the top of them resulting for an easy goal for them

As I mentioned in my post before this is a coached decision not just Rioli doing what he wants
Maybe in some cases that's fair, there's a few you could freeze frame where there is an option though. If its just a kicking thing, I dont know why hes the most noticeable and it doesnt happen with other players at half forward. Not everyone is Short or Dusty, but he can still move it forward.

Maybe in some cases that's fair, there's a few you could freeze frame where there is an option though. If its just a kicking thing, I dont know why hes the most noticeable and it doesnt happen with other players at half forward. Not everyone is Short or Dusty, but he can still move it forward.
I’m just passing on the explanation given to us by Dimma if you think you know better take it up with him

You will notice Rioli isn’t the only one who does it, Lambert and Higgins also do the same when marking the ball in a similar position

you will also notice they only do it after a mark and not a forward handball received when they generally have a few other players running in a wave with them

also rot, pickett's not going anywhere
mate in the back 50 especially and when any real heat is applied he folds,not just his disposal,his ability to even maintain the ball....the GF was last year against a tired opponent.Pickett's game is not at Edwards or Riolis level when the gas is on ,either was Stacks's and Caddy's game iswaning quickly too,
last years form is insignificant

mate in the back 50 especially and when any real heat is applied he folds,not just his disposal,his ability to even maintain the ball....the GF was last year against a tired opponent.Pickett's game is not at Edwards or Riolis level when the gas is on ,either was Stacks's and Caddy's game iswaning quickly too,
Wrong

I think we've seen enough of him this year to hold that form in its own right and not just be over-awed by his grand final. He's not a defender so if he looks a little uncomfortable there it shouldn't be a real surprise. He's a winger and he's not to the level of titch (who's one of the best players on the whole list) but he's hard at it and goes when it's his turn, also has the ability to turn 40-60s into clear wins for us. If he was going to be dropped it would have happened earlier in the year but imo he's really turned that wing position into his own recently. Not to mention if it's to make way for titch they play completely different positions

I think we've seen enough of him this year to hold that form in its own right and not just be over-awed by his grand final. He's not a defender so if he looks a little uncomfortable there it shouldn't be a real surprise. He's a winger and he's not to the level of titch (who's one of the best players on the whole list) but he's hard at it and goes when it's his turn, also has the ability to turn 40-60s into clear wins for us. If he was going to be dropped it would have happened earlier in the year but imo he's really turned that wing position into his own recently. Not to mention if it's to make way for titch they play completely different positions
hes only been getting a game because Prestia n Edwards have been unavailable these past 13 games ,those 2 come in and on form he doesnt push past
McIntosh,Baker or Aarts,theres no position for him now imo due to the roaring success thats is Bolton as a midfielder,nobody in theyre wildest dreams would of pre empted that,with Graham slowly building to career best form again and Bolton on the charge theres no spot on team balance as Astbury and or Broad will
return so Balta can be used as a Utility,anyway thats the way i see it,it dont matter much what i think,all those players ive mentioned defensive skills are far
superior than Picketts

Pickett has been great on the wing, and has been able to help out effectively several times in defence, hardly folding under pressure. In fact, his contested work and disposal under pressure has gone up a level. Also has the versatility to play on-ball and is a utility which is extremely valuable and what Dimma likes. Aarts will most likely make way for Edwards. If Pickett ends up losing his spot with Prestia eventually coming back in, then he will be unlucky.
Anyway, as this is a thread about Rioli, I reckon he has turned things around and is warming up nicely for finals which is his house.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back