2020 FA, Draft and Trade HYPOTHETICAL thread...now with new DFA speculation!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard multiple times we are talking to Melbourne's Tom McDonald and North's Polec. Polec might be a good fit but I would have thought McDonald's age wouldn't suit us.

Both are 28 this year & will be 29 next year. I really hope we don't go down that path. We should be looking at bringing in as much young talent as possible, making trades like Scrimshaw & Impey.

There are 18 teams in the AFL with 18 on the field and 4 on the bench players per team and that makes our game unique.
I know little about the NBA but I believe there are 2 divisions = east and west coast...
f-ck you are going to make me learn something.... so be it.

Dang,.. there are 30 NBA teams dawg...haha.. did I say that well? Mixed cultural References are fun.

But there are just 5 players on the court at any one time in basketball. Not sure about how many on the bench.

Take the best player out of a basketball team and I assume they lose.

Take the best player in the comp out of Hawthorn (Buddy) in 2015 and we won 3 flags.

Let’s go further... Take the best 5 players in the AFL with 13 VFL players to back them up against a full AFL list and the 5 best players will lose... badly.

My point is that the lottery system for basketball, where there are just 5 players on the court, is not equivalent to a lottery system for an 18 man, 18 team comp. None of the ways that it fails in the USA are relevant to the AFL.

The lottery would work much better for our game as we have more players on the field who can affect the result. Our game is much more team based.

Being silly fun again:
In Hawthorn‘s Grand Final wins we often had an extra man. Against Fremantle: Ballantine was our extra man (was there ever a worse grand final performance) and against West Coast, Daring lived up to his name (for the Hawks). And in 2008 we had 7 minute Stewey: surely he started out as 2 men, slimmed down ... and then became 2 men on the field for us.

Back to topic:
None of the issues that the NBA has with a lottery are relevant to the AFL.

It would work for us.

While it is a bit of fun, I really dont like the lottery for the AFL. Our game should be held up as the standard worldwide for equity, introducing a lottery will make a mess of it.

We are always talking about priority picks for teams that are struggling. Imagine if GC instead landed pick 18 instead of pick 2, and Richmond landed Rowell? Would GC get more priority picks this year too?

Tanking is not a big enough issue for the entire draft to be upended. The inevitable final 10 will discourage it more.

Trading for McDonald and Polec will lead us to nowhere. We’ll jump up the ladder to mid table and will just defer a needed rebuild by another season or two.
You’d only consider McDonald if he was super cheap (3rd/4th round pick), Frawley was to retire and frost does a serious injury in next two weeks.

But otherwise just crowds out us developing a younger player who could be a 10 year piece for us.

In the instance that we do actually get something coming back that we like, we may be interested in releasing Gunston who is contracted to 2022.

So, this one is for you Brishawk.

Gunston, Pick 3 and 21 to Lions for Pick 16, 19 and Raynor.

Dreaming?

In the instance that we do actually get something coming back that we like, we may be interested in releasing Gunston who is contracted to 2022.

Dreaming?
I’d do that. Likely gives us Rayner and two picks before Downie (hopefully). I’d then work at trading 16 down - possibly targeting dogs first pick. Not sure what we’d package with it though that they’d be interested in.

Trading for McDonald and Polec will lead us to nowhere. We’ll jump up the ladder to mid table and will just defer a needed rebuild by another season or two.
You’d only consider McDonald if he was super cheap (3rd/4th round pick), Frawley was to retire and frost does a serious injury in next two weeks.

But otherwise just crowds out us developing a younger player who could be a 10 year piece for us.
You'd want McDonald & Pruess, then take whatever you can get for Big Boy - even pay part of his salary to sweeten then Pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dreaming?
turned-to-the-dark-side-you-have-yes-mmm.jpg

If we are trading Gunners it’s to a club in the window and we can squeeze more out of them than we usually would. Collingwood would love him, straight swap for DeGoey could work for both clubs.
I’m all for keeping Gunners, he’s a star but wouldn’t begrudge him for wanting to leave

What on earth am i missing with Rayner?

The comparison to Trac and Dusty is only due to role because he is a long way from where they were at the same age? He might explode next year but taking him would be nothing more than on potential.
An example of what many think is a bout to happen with Rayner would be how Petrecca has erupted this season. This time last year some of us wanted us to trade for Petracca and many thought he was gettable and that he was being used wrong. The question is will Rayner do the same.

An example of what many think is a bout to happen with Rayner would be how Petrecca has erupted this season. This time last year some of us wanted us to trade for Petracca and many thought he was gettable and that he was being used wrong. The question is will Rayner do the same.
Yeah but Petracca was being talked about as a dissapointment... He averaged 19 disposals, 1 goal and 6 score involvements a game.

In his 3rd season he has significantly significantly better than what Rayner currently is. If he was playing in a poor team people would be piling on him, the comparisons only exist because of the Draft hype. Since coming in to the AFL Dusty and Rayner were much better players.

Yep I get the criticism of Rayner but I really think he will follow the same Martin / Petracca trajectory and has the raw ability to be a genuine superstar / game breaker. Perhaps more of a forward than them but I reckon at worst he will be a De Goey type match winner.

Also agree with comment above - I’d like Preuss from Melbourne. No to Tom McDonald

Preuss is pretty much Cegs with more aggression. Pass from me. We need an athletic type ruckman who can win more than his fair share of hit outs
He’s not a world beater but he would be a younger upgrade on Ceglar. And I do like aggression in a ruckman. I don’t like draftIng ruckmen - you trade them in in their mid 20s. Smaller lists might spill someone else out of another club though

Dreaming?
My dream come true :):rainbow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back