What’s up with Cripps?

Remove this Banner Ad

I have no doubt that Cripps is a loyal type who desperately wants to be part of a successful team at Carlton but that doesn't mean he wouldn't leave if he didn't see it happening.

At the end of next year he's a RFA, we need to be making finals next year to be sure of holding on to him. I have been hearing this consistently from someone since he signed his last contract.

Winning more games this year helps but next year needs to be better.

I have no doubt that Cripps is a loyal type who desperately wants to be part of a successful team at Carlton but that doesn't mean he wouldn't leave if he didn't see it happening.

At the end of next year he's a RFA, we need to be making finals next year to be sure of holding on to him. I have been hearing this consistently from someone since he signed his last contract.

Winning more games this year helps but next year needs to be better.
Couple of things, we don't win games to ensure our captain stays. And as brutal as it would be for all of us, if Cripps leaves he becomes the opposition.

EaHKeflUYAAjTQ-

Different role? Hard tags? Reduced weight? Injured?

Thought there was a very interesting comment from Teague in the press conference this week talking about the role he is playing. But it’s deeper than that.

Looks incredibly frustrated and his marking effort early in the third quarter was poor at best.

There’s something not quite right.
fans are spoiled......i think he has erned the right to have a quiet patch

Needs to get his goal kicking sorted and play more forward. We need to be able to win games with Cripps playing that way. Center group needs more pace and more players who can go in there but also play elsewhere.

The all about Cripps thing does not work. Cripps needs to learn to impact the game when we are not using him all the time, IE work on his defensive acts in there.

More a team balanced approach at stoppages. More time forward for Cripps who clearly can win the ball in the forward line.

He has been pathetic this year, no other way to put it. In the end doesn't really hurt us as we weren't a finals caliber side. Just hope he pulls his finger out and gets back to what he is best at, cracking in and instinctively giving the handball out to those on the move.

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couple of things, we don't win games to ensure our captain stays. And as brutal as it would be for all of us, if Cripps leaves he becomes the opposition.

Oh I agree that shouldn't be our motivation at all. We should be doing what is right for ourselves as a club, players will do what they feel is right for themselves.
I'm just saying loyal person or not, he'll do what suits himself. Some people seem to think that no matter what he won't leave.

At the end of the day I support the Carlton Football Club, I support the players as long as they are Carlton players, once they leave their success or lack of it elsewhere really is of no interest to me.

he is sulking and dragging his feet, no doubt about that.

hope he enjoys himself in the break and can come back refreshed. looks like carrying us for the past 4 years has finally got to him.

the constant insecure worrying about Cripps going to WA is akin to the constant insecure worry we had about Gibbs going to SA. Eventually it did happen and it was a bad move by Bryce.

Richmond had the same fears with Deledio and he eventually pulled the pin and it couldn't have been a worse move.

Reality is by the time we are a finals-hardened mentally mature side Cripps will be what, 29? He will stick around but he needs to be patient.

Sorry, but he has a sh*t attitude, plays for frees and is not serious about winning.

Shouldn't be captain.

Come at me.

I would agree that he shouldn't have been made Captain but that has nothing to do with anything that you mentioned. I don't like the two captains garbage and when it comes down to it I believe Doc is more of a natural leader. Cripps I believe would benefit from being left to work on his own game.

1984/85 one of our most inspirational players, Wayne Johnston was our Captain. Over that time it seemed to impact his own game. In 86 the club relieved him of that burden and he was back to playing close to his best.

There's no shame in not being suited to the role. I don't believe that he has a bad attitude at all, he may just be trying to do too much. There are also off-field issues that have made this a very tough year for him. Try putting yourself in his shoes, sometimes people expect players to perform like they are robots, unaffected by being human.

I’m sick to death of people saying ‘he’s injured’

What is the injury then? Hard knocks? If it is, don’t play him.

He certainly doesn’t have a torn ACL or Achilles?

Injuries are no excuse for poor set shot kicking at crucial times during games.

Champion in the past or not, he is poorly out of form and continues to be a 2020 Brock McLean.

Champion in the past or not, he is poorly out of form and continues to be a 2020 Brock McLean.
piss poor take.

Great input, you've added nothing apart from ridicule me.

What is his injury mate? Fatigue? Multiple Corkies?

Should we be holding the medical staff accountable for letting him play then?

Not sure if you've watched much footy .... its got all the symptoms of playing with a groin injury. As an Eagles supporter I've seen it with Judd & Cox, a very debilitating injury, effectively Cripps could have been rested for the season after a couple of weeks, but like other genuine champions their worst is better than most of the rest.

Reality is if this season had full quarters and we were under Bolton Cripps would be averaging just as much as last year. Under Teague we are an incredibly low disposal team, especially in regards to handballs. Considering Cripps usually gets 2/3 of his touches through handballs, it's logical that shorter quarters + a different game style means he's going to get the ball less. This season he has effectively gone at a 1:1 ratio.
Similarly Ed who handballs far more than kicks normally, has instead done the opposite this season, despite playing genuine inside mid.
Now I'm not saying cripps has performed as expected this year, but certainly a portion of this is Teague's game plan not necessarily allowing Cripps to get loads of touches and rack up stats.

On CPH1877 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rumour has it he has been playing with a groin injury at the moment.

Well duh, every player has bad patch. 2020 has been an enigma year for him. Go abuse your captain on social media who carried us through the dark times, do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back