Prediction Changes: Round 18 Vs Bulldogs + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

longmuir has been spruiking “earning selection” reckon logue is zero chance with no lead up games . Too risky .
Was our best game of the season, Watson out for Conca if he’s hamstring is ok. Otherwise no changes
Longmuir has also said that itis unlikely anyone outside of the 22 will be selected unless there is a like for like selection due to injury

I brought up Hill in another thread and the ccounter argument given was his experience for the younger guys, but they all seem incredibly self driven and hard working already. I love Hill but if he's not immediately impacting games at 30 and won't be in our flag run I really dont see any reason to play him other than cause he's well liked by fans and coaches.

Excellent management of the interchange this week. The two players that spent the least amount of time on the ground were fyfe and Mundy. An 8 day break will mean they are all spritely.
Maybe Crowden and Frederick can be rotated out for Henry and Valente to get a run. Otherwise go in as unchanged.

I brought up Hill in another thread and the ccounter argument given was his experience for the younger guys, but they all seem incredibly self driven and hard working already. I love Hill but if he's not immediately impacting games at 30 and won't be in our flag run I really dont see any reason to play him other than cause he's well liked by fans and coaches.

I would keep him, he's a good citizen that has stuck with us throughout the journey.

If we show loyalty to players like that at the tail end of their career hopefully players like Cerra, Serong and Brayshaw will show loyalty to the club.

Cutting good citizens and players too early is bad for culture.

As long as he knows he isn't picked if he isn't B22 moving forward and he wants it should be all clear.

If you had have told us after Hill re injured his quad at the start of the season that we'd get 12 games out of 17 from him we'd have been stoked!
They haven't been the quality we're used to, but he's been building every week and he'll exit the season healthy.
I think that this season will have done him the world of good in finding some confidence in his body, if he has a full and solid preseason i think we'll see the best of him again for sure

What's with the love for Valente and North?

Seems to be a general vibe on BF that they are quality. I'm not a draft watcher and don't have any idea on anyone I haven't seen being based in NSW.

Seems to be a wave of support for Valente in particular. Why?

Our new coach seems to have universal support, surely if he is as good as most think he is then he knows what he is on about a bit? If they aren't getting played it's not a vendetta. Maybe they aren't good enough?
I was going to write something similar, particularly in relation to Valente.

I remember an article when the players got back from the Iso break & JLo was talking about how good Valente looked coming back from the break & would be in contention once the fixtures were set.

It is a little perplexing that he hasn’t debuted yet, despite so much positive talk from the players (& BF), yet I think the talk from the coach has been a little tempered in recent weeks.

If Valente does get moved on, there will be some solid melts on here, but with the coaches being able to see him weekly, they definitely are the right judges.

FWIW, I think he stays & just hasn’t been able to force his way into a pretty solid midfield in a team where the new coach is trying to create a winning culture & not hand out games for the sake of it.

I was going to write something similar, particularly in relation to Valente.

I remember an article when the players got back from the Iso break & JLo was talking about how good Valente looked coming back from the break & would be in contention once the fixtures were set.

It is a little perplexing that he hasn’t debuted yet, despite so much positive talk from the players (& BF), yet I think the talk from the coach has been a little tempered in recent weeks.

If Valente does get moved on, there will be some solid melts on here, but with the coaches being able to see him weekly, they definitely are the right judges.

FWIW, I think he stays & just hasn’t been able to force his way into a pretty solid midfield in a team where the new coach is trying to create a winning culture & not hand out games for the sake of it.
With Valente I don’t really know what to think. If he was good enough he would have played by now, you’d have to think? He’s young so he may have a lot of improvement left in him.
But clubs don’t leave superstars in reserves all season. Some people on here were saying he’s a Sam Mitchell clone.
Well I reckon it’s far more likely he’s a Hamish Brayshaw clone than Sam Mitchell!
The only thing we can say right now with some evidence is that he is not as good as Cerra, Tucker, Andy Brayshaw, Serong, Blakely or even Banfield. They have all been selected ahead of him this season. It will be disappointing if he doesn’t make it at freo. But I can’t see how it would be for any other reason than he just isn’t good enough, if that is indeed what happens.
It seems less likely to be a future Collins/Menegola situation as we are a rebuilding side handing out lots of opportunities and Valente appears to be very professional and is probably extracting the maximum value out of himself this year especially. He did have injury issues last season in fairness. I reckon he’ll get one more year at least.
If it doesn’t work out, it will just go down as a rare bad draft selection in the last few years.

We should have played valente weeks ago if we were really interested in giving him a run at it (which I was). Ditto Meek but his injury stuffed that idea.
I honestly have no idea what they'll do. Frederick wasn't any good but no changes would be the most likely outcome I guess

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tell you what, if anyone told me at the end of that first hub that we'd be a mathematical possibility for finals and only likely to miss due to a bullshit umpiring decision against Carlton, I would have laughed at them.

I remember at the end of that hub commenting that we were a bottom four team and that the rest of the year would be about watching our young guys develop and Jlo's gameplan evolve.

Now we're sitting here heading into the last round of the season and things have clicked, ball movement's looking good, Serong a good chance at the rising star, Ryan, and at a stretch even Tabs, in contention for AA, the backline has performed exceptionally all year and the forward line starting to show glimpses. Jlo has been a resounding success, the Cerra/Brayshaw haters have been silenced, Cox has had a ripping year and Darcy has stayed on the park. Acres and Aish still have their critics but for the price we paid, they're looking the goods. Let's not forget the sacking of Webber! And the signs Logue, Young and Sturt showed before they went down. There's just too many positives.

I thought this year would be about getting games into the youngsters but we've genuinely seen them struggle to break into the side, there's been no gimme debuts, everyone who has played has earned it. It's a pity we haven't seen Valente or Meek but you just have to admire what Jlo is doing.

Hoping we finish off strong with a win against the doggies but I almost don't care what happens, just over the moon at the year we've had. With a good pre-season, a few re-signings and the talent we've got coming back, next year is looking really exciting!

On the topic of changes, I would like to strongly condemn anyone suggesting Conca for Watson. Watson absolutely deserves to hold his spot. Unchanged would be nice, Conca for Hill is about the only change that tempts me.

I would keep him, he's a good citizen that has stuck with us throughout the journey.

If we show loyalty to players like that at the tail end of their career hopefully players like Cerra, Serong and Brayshaw will show loyalty to the club.

Cutting good citizens and players too early is bad for culture.

As long as he knows he isn't picked if he isn't B22 moving forward and he wants it should be all clear.

I just don't really see how it would be cutting him too early. He's injury prone and unreliable, which at 30 means it's probably time to call it quits and 30 is a very long time in footy, to last longer you need luck on your side which he does not.

I don't see how dropping or cutting Hill would be any slight or disrespect to him, age and injuries end careers sometimes faster than we would like. Persisting with players because they're good citizens doesn't sound like the type of culture that wins premierships.

I just don't really see how it would be cutting him too early. He's injury prone and unreliable, which at 30 means it's probably time to call it quits and 30 is a very long time in footy, to last longer you need luck on your side which he does not.

I don't see how dropping or cutting Hill would be any slight or disrespect to him, age and injuries end careers sometimes faster than we would like. Persisting with players because they're good citizens doesn't sound like the type of culture that wins premierships.

We're not winning a flag. Part of his injury history is on the club, as shown by the current clean out of our S & C staff.

He's just getting some continuity and is part of a team that is improving every week. He is playing a role and deserves another year.

We're not winning a flag. Part of his injury history is on the club, as shown by the current clean out of our S & C staff.

He's just getting some continuity and is part of a team that is improving every week. He is playing a role and deserves another year.

he’s contracted so will get it, but if he continues like that then Young, Watson and Pina deserve goes in his place

There are so many examples of players who took numerous games to find touch coming back from injury and all without exception were on the chopping block here. Hill was finally starting to play with some confidence in the second half and people want him out? I'm glad longmuir takes a longer view of things. Hill has so much class and smarts. He's well worth persisting with.
I reckon Watson holds his place on form. He's a very solid player.
I doubt there will be any changes after a performance like that.

Conca back in? Could easily replace Fredericks or Crowden he has been quality this year.

Not sure on the rush to get Conca back in. I have immense respect and admiration for the role he’s played recently and he’s very important to us now.
BUT he did a hammy, it’s a meaningless game and Watson played very well. No one down back deserves to go and bring in thin back to pay a different role doesn’t make a lot of sense either.
If we had a number of games to go or pushing for finals then yes get him back in asap.
Given it’s one game, let the same backline go again and let Conca rest his hammy. He’s done more than enough this year.

I agree Hill's current predicament is not his fault and he has perfectly valid excuses for not being able to perform consistently. But success in literally anything requires a bit of pragmatism. Life isn't fair and we should definitely look after Hill post footy because yeah we screwed him, but the only questions that are ever relevant when picking a best 22 is 1. What do they provide for the team now and 2. What may they provide down the line when we're competing. I'll only be onboard personally if Hill satisfies either of these premises but we don't have to agree it's all good. I do love Hill and it would make me happy to be proved wrong.

We literally gain nothing by cutting Hill and lose nothing by keeping him. There's a non zero chance he will rediscover his mojo.
Yeah, his kicking is a little off atm but he still moves in that beautiful Stephen Hill Way, sidestepping, bouncing and leaping like a gazelle through congestion, and I've actually been surprised with some of his defensive efforts, getting spoils in and pumping for a ground ball. I remember I think 2018 when we played Richmond at the G and he was in the backline, he got spanked on the lead so the fact that he's now a proficient defender shows he's still improving. At the start of this season I thought it'd be his last but he could easily have a couple of golden years to see out his career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back