Review Good vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

He does need to get more involved but Jones is playing in that graveyard HFF no mans land role that a lot of our team have really struggled with. Was sitting with the forwards at the half, would love to see him get some actual time on ball next week.

He's had big minutes on the ball in a number of games for very poor results. If you have a mid getting 3 to 6 touches a match, you are a man down in the all-important midfield. Our current mid setup is working well. Do we want to change it to bring Jones in there for the sake of development against a side of Richmond's calibre?
It's a no from me, but others will no doubt differ.

6 touches is terrible in a winning side for a mid.
Even Fogarty got more as a forward and people say he’s not doing enough.
Jones isn't playing in the midfield.

Not really, you're just digging your own grave that bit deeper by making irrelevant comments
Says he who brought up about people thinking there would be a lottery.

Because you missed the original point, the point was you can’t classify it as an asterisk season and then agree with getting pick 1 for finishing last.

He's had big minutes on the ball in a number of games for very poor results. If you have a mid getting 3 to 6 touches a match, you are a man down in the all-important midfield. Our current mid setup is working well. Do we want to change it to bring Jones in there for the sake of development against a side of Richmond's calibre?
It's a no from me, but others will no doubt differ.
Jones best left in the forward line at his current stage of progression. His pace is needed there and kicking goals will increase his confidence. Once he builds his body up I would give him bursts through the midfield but he may end up being a forward. Time will tell.

Frampton is a good 3rd tall and will always struggle when the opposition best defender plays on him. He can take a good mark but his goal kicking is hit and miss, would have had a reasonable game if he had kicked that sitter with 2 goals and gave one away early in the game.
He actually help set up at least 1 of Himmelberg's marks, wasn't a bad game just not good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm the first to point out how many useless touches Matt has, but that's crap.

Possibly. He did at least look like he played better than that.

What absolute crap....

Perhaps you'd like to explain why he continues to regularly get COACHES votes when he's in form...And not just our coach, both coaches.

Firstly I have nothing to do with Champion Data, and they keep their algorithm a secret.

Secondly are you really telling me Matt Crouch does not have a habit of racking up a lot of disposals and doing nothing with them? Matt is certainly capable of those games, as damage from his disposals tends to be the first thing that goes of the moment he drops off slightly.

Thirdly I don't care if Matt racks up coaches votes when he is in form in regards to this. That is completely irrelevant seeing we're talking about just today. Today saw a player who usually ends up in the top portion of the CD ratings when we play come near the bottom, despite on the surface (i.e. disposals) it looks rather unjustified. That either means the CD algorithm was skewed to certain aspects which Matt didn't do, or Matt really had a game that the second you got past the shallow metric that is disposals, it really wasn't that crash hot. I do suspect the former, not the latter, but I could certainly accept an argument for the latter. There are definitely a few red flags in that stat line (namely, how little of Matts disposals were contested, and how little meters gained he racked up for the amount of disposals he had, seeing he was averaging 7.8 m per disposal) and I'd assume any algorithm would be designed to punish players who seem to be playing like a seagull.

Fog did have 4 score involvements and 3 inside 50s from his 7 touches

Yup. Fog and Jones were both really surprising. Both didn't have good games, and yet, CD loved what they did despite being players who were barely involved in the game.

Still Matt was 28 (7 contested) disposals, 4 clearances, 3 tackles, 220 meters gained and 7 score involvements.

Last edited:
And ?? This is never likely to happen again, and hasn't before, ergo asterisk season.

Your argument is extremely flimsy
No it’s not.
It’s cringeworthy to say the least, to believe it’s an asterisk season.
As I said it’s only because of where the relative teams are placed.
A weak argument would be saying something like “every other year has hubs and teams getting on planes at 4.30”
when we literally just won on a 4:30 flight game and plenty of teams have coped fine in a hub.

Smith - disappeared for large portions of the game

Carlton just let Gibbs run around without an opponent all day, so we played through him instead, and since he was hitting targets why wouldn't we? Just the way it worked out.

Weitering is a serious defender these days. Very good 1v1.

Good:

Just clicking as a team now. Defensive pressure fantastic.

Sholl obviously very good. I was a big fan of his in the Sanfl but even I didn't expect him to start his career this well.

Schoenberg firmly best 22 now. Going to be a great inside outside mid. Has a pretty vast skill set as a mid probably minus polish with his kicking.

Gibbs pretty decent last game. Wouldn't have minded that consistently after 2017.

Laird and Crouch brothers another quality midfield performance.

Not a lot bad. Fog and Jones still quiet but at least had an impact with their possessions.

Great: we are hitting the contest well and the young players are really throwing their body in. The attitude is fantastic. It would have been easy for a young group to throw in the towel and let Carlton run over them. But a lot of credit must be given to the coaches for instilling a sense of belief even after the year we had.

Bad: blindly bombing it long into our forward line to outnumbered contests. We should have kicked away in that 3rd quarter but kept Carlton in it through dumb play. Nicks needs to coach the group out of being suckered into long bombs. Himmelberg and Frampton were badly outnumbered. We need to find players on the lead. As the saying goes if it's a 4 on 2 it means 2 of our players are free. Need to be smarter.

On VOG-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Encouraging to see some of these kids step up.
We need pressure for spots in the 22 to drive preseason.
Players like Jones and McHenry are being overtaken by this years debutants....these 2 need to vastly improve their output in 2021 to earn a regular spot in the team.
Others like Walker, Kelly, Seedsman, Harto, Murphy....will need to be at their best or its curtains.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back