Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
My point is that it’s not an asterisk season.
Except it clearly is.

That's fine, because the alternative was worse.

Someone get a premiership with an asterisk, and we'll get a draft pick with an asterisk.

douglyzia

Premiership Player
Sep 24, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not worth starting a new thread about it, and dont know where to put it, so ill just place it here

first wooden spoon

1. St Kilda - 1874
2. North Melbourne (As Hotham) - 1879
3. University - 1885
4. Port Adelaide - 1886
5. Western Bulldogs (As Footscray) - 1887
6. Richmond - 1891
7. Carlton - 1894
8. Sydney (As South Melbourne) - 1903
9. Melbourne - 1905
10. Essendon - 1907
11. Geelong - 1908
12. Hawthorn - 1915
13. Fitzroy - 1916 (Or 1936 if you deem 1916 as avoiding the spoon)
14. Collingwood - 1976
15. Brisbane Bears - 1990
16. Brisbane Lions - 1998
17. Fremantle - 2001
18. West Coast - 2011
19. Gold Coast - 2012
20. Greater Western Sydney - 2013

Adelaide - 2020??????

Even if we win it, we're the last club standing.

Winning the spoon really isn't that big a deal as long as you bounce back from it. Nobody cares/remembers about the years when Hawthorn, West Coast or Sydney were basketcases.

Oct 20, 2007
Perf
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
New York Jets, Toronto Raptors
Weitering is a serious defender these days. Very good 1v1.

Exactly why we shouldn’t be writing off Fish 5 games into his career, took Weitering years to feel comfortable at the level and now looks like an All Australian. Lots of calls for Carlton to trade him and many a call of him being a bust. Patience is a virtue and all that.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
No it’s not.
It’s cringeworthy to say the least, to believe it’s an asterisk season.
As I said it’s only because of where the relative teams are placed.
A weak argument would be saying something like “every other year has hubs and teams getting on planes at 4.30”
when we literally just won on a 4:30 flight game and plenty of teams have coped fine in a hub.
So what?

It's obviously an unprecedented season, not comparable to any before it or after.

Clubs are having to deal with things which are incredibly unreasonable, but they are doing it to ensure the season can go ahead.

You don't really have an argument that it would be possible to support.

LittleCrowBoy

All Australian
Mar 4, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not sure if you've seen the ladder lately......

Remember we were top 4 half way thru last year.
Yeah....your right...should have left the list as it was. Could have maybe won the premiership this year with Jenkins plodding around.
Knowing when to move old players on and inject youth is the difference between good clubs and s**t clubs.
After 20 odd years....we are only JUST discovering this !!!

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I got your point.

Although I think you are wrong about Jones in this game. I thought he was alright. I think the half forward role suits him.
Yeah a little harsh although I would have hoped he’d be doing a little more, especially since we are winning and that was apparently the issue at the start of the year.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just for some perspective. We traded mcgovern and got pick 13 (mchenry) AND this fella who is younger tgan mcgovern and statistically having a better year than mcgovern. This is looking like a real win for our club. Or at worst a break even if mcheny never plays again based on current form

Just for some perspective. We traded mcgovern and got pick 13 (mchenry) AND this fella who is younger tgan mcgovern and statistically having a better year than mcgovern. This is looking like a real win for our club

Yep, we essentially upgraded McGovern with a player of the same age, then got a free first round pick for a young player of the future

Massive win

LiamPickering

All Australian
Sep 24, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah....your right...should have left the list as it was. Could have maybe won the premiership this year with Jenkins plodding around.
Knowing when to move old players on and inject youth is the difference between good clubs and sh*t clubs.
After 20 odd years....we are only JUST discovering this !!!
Yep definitely Nicks who did all that....

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Possibly. He did at least look like he played better than that.

Firstly I have nothing to do with Champion Data, and they keep their algorithm a secret.

Secondly are you really telling me Matt Crouch does not have a habit of racking up a lot of disposals and doing nothing with them? Matt is certainly capable of those games, as damage from his disposals tends to be the first thing that goes of the moment he drops off slightly.

Thirdly I don't care if Matt racks up coaches votes when he is in form in regards to this. That is completely irrelevant seeing we're talking about just today. Today saw a player who usually ends up in the top portion of the CD ratings when we play come near the bottom, despite on the surface (i.e. disposals) it looks rather unjustified. That either means the CD algorithm was skewed to certain aspects which Matt didn't do, or Matt really had a game that the second you got past the shallow metric that is disposals, it really wasn't that crash hot. I do suspect the former, not the latter, but I could certainly accept an argument for the latter. There are definitely a few red flags in that stat line (namely, how little of Matts disposals were contested, and how little meters gained he racked up for the amount of disposals he had, seeing he was averaging 7.8 m per disposal) and I'd assume any algorithm would be designed to punish players who seem to be playing like a seagull.

Yup. Fog and Jones were both really surprising. Both didn't have good games, and yet, CD loved what they did despite being players who were barely involved in the game.

Still Matt was 28 (7 contested) disposals, 4 clearances, 3 tackles, 220 meters gained and 7 score involvements.
LOL

Of course us numpties on Big Footy know more than AFL coaches when it comes to rating a player's impact on a game, absolutely no doubt about it...fair dinkum you post endless reems of total crap at times ttrying to back up what was a ridiculous comment....go for your life but I'm going with AFL coaches over you every day and twice on Sundays when it comes to rating players games.

Back