Dubai Quacker

Wily Old Campaigner
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
I didn't hate Bell's game tonight.
Showed some great intent.
I'm not sure where his place is going fwd.... But rest assured Ronke has been nuked.
I don't condone violence... But seeing Zorko try the cheap shot... Then get absolutely floored by a open palm.
Lol
I didn’t like it.

Gave away a stupid free after one of our goals & the attack on Zorko was the sort of thing Tom Lynch gets (rightly) slammed for.

Needs to focus on playing good footy, not being some D-grade enforcer.

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
I didn’t like it.

Gave away a stupid free after one of our goals & the attack on Zorko was the sort of thing Tom Lynch gets (rightly) slammed for.

Needs to focus on playing good footy, not being some D-grade enforcer.

He cleaned up Zorko in a fair and legitimate tackle and the Princess didn’t like it. No issue with Bell pushing back at Zorko. Have to stand your ground.

Lynch waits for a player to have there back to him before he strikes.

Thought they did pretty well save for kicking inside 50?

certainly not disgraced.

Think it was the ease with which they won their clearances vs ours. We just don't have anyone in there who can win it cleanly (ie not fumble it multiple times or invite pressure). Basically meant that all of our clearances were rushed and haphazard with no real method behind them.

This is not new though. JPK's return has seen a spike in contested possessions and clearances, and unfortunately a spike in rushed hack kicks out of the centre. We make a dog's dinner out of our clearances at centre bounces.

ScottBo

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
When this seaskns ends and the dust settles...

There are only 3 postives

1. Mcinerney
2. Stephens
3. Draft pick 4

On LM-K410 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I reckon you can add Rowbottom, plus Fox and McCartin in the back six to that list. And some promising glimpses of more dare in the coaches box.
Throw in plenty of fight and ticker from the kids. And the positive that we even had a season.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Defence looked great again. Melican looks amazing
Mills showed his class first match back
McInerney & Blakey look a promising midfield future

Reid did nothing
Amertey did very little
I actually didn't like Aliir in the middle

Also AFL app says Melican is injured?

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I enjoyed the game and thought we gave it a real crack. Considering how young our team is, we have performed pretty well throughout the year.

Cunningham had a great game. He has finally become a solid player for us.

Parker had a solid game, I think the overall improvement around him has helped.

I'm pretty sure JPK is still carrying a fair injury, he's never been quick, but he's lumbering a little, but still having an impact.

Enjoyable game to watch, even if it was a loss

Last edited:

Swansujelly

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 6, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
NBA, Woodville,
Guys - just an observation.

Why don't you use the straight 'V' jumper allthe time without that silly opera house background. It's a far better-looking jumper.

I'm sure you have discussed it on this board a few times - did the members get any say in this at all? (I know it goes back a long way).
may not have a choice, they upped the licensing fee

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney

Why don't you use the straight 'V' jumper allthe time without that silly opera house background. It's a far better-looking jumper.

I'm sure you have discussed it on this board a few times - did the members get any say in this at all? (I know it goes back a long way).
I really like our guernsey with that silly opera house.

Dubai Quacker

Wily Old Campaigner
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
I thought he did well! He is not best 22 to me but he was good. Relatively clean and did a number on Neale.
I honestly hope he can establish himself as best 22 next year

He’s a tough mid in an age bracket we desperately need.

Really happy to see him have a good game.

My wife commented during the game how much she liked the jumper.

I hadn’t really noticed, but yes, I agree.

Jul 13, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
Positives:

Clarke gave Neale an absolute bath. And when Neale got the ball, it was either at the bottom of the pack or not in much space. Big tick for Clarke.
Stephens, McInerney and Blakey were brilliant on the outside. Blakey's kicks didn't always come off, but we looked very quick at times.
Cunningham could be a smokey for the Best and Fairest. Does his job week in, week out, without much fuss. Developed into one of the first names on the team sheet.
Melican and McCartin were superb down back. Throw Rampe in there and that's a decent three tall defensive setup to have.
Hayward played his best game for the year. He has really developed the defensive side of his game this season.
Thurlow continues to get the job done. Not bad for a bloke who's "already been delisted". :tearsofjoy:
Papley back amongst the goals was good to see. Didn't try to do too much this game and was rewarded.
Parker and JPK were immense in the middle. Apart from Lyons, our midfield gave there's an absolute bath.

Negatives:

Never like seeing a player injured. Hope Squizzy Taylor pulls up okay!
A bit harsh, but it was an 'almost' game for Reid. Almost got that mark, almost got that tackle. Provided a contest each time, however. On another day, he has a goal or two.
Don't think Bell will make it. Did like his battle with Zorko, though.
Lions players constantly complaining for free kicks...looking at Hipwood, Zorko and Neale for this.
Tough game for Amartey to debut in, but hope he gets another crack against Geelong.
When going forward, we seem too unselfish at times. Would love the players to back themselves and have the shot from 45m out rather than look to pass it off when streaming inside 50.

Swannnnn

Senior List
Oct 24, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney

I believe the reasoning at the time was the V was too similar to the Red V of the St George Dragons? The Swans needed something that distinguishes itself when they first arrived in Sydney

Watching the game with the missus in the room - actual conversations. Really they are. And there were plenty more. Some highlights anyway.

She: Oh wow the Swans are in front and only 14 minutes to go.

Me: Sweetie that is time remaining in the first quarter, game just started so lot of footy to go.

She: But I want to watch the Notebook

Me: .........

Then later

She: Why don't they kick it to people on their side?

Me: They are trying to, you see there is pressure coming form the other side, it's a bit wet as well so it is not that easy.

She: They are kicking a ball Mark. And they get paid like $20,000 a year or something why can't they do it right. It just seems so silly. Can I put the Notebook on

Me: .........

And further on

She: Who was that big tall guy. In the red and white jumper. He just dropped that and it was an easy catch.

Me: That's Sam Reid and it is not a catch it is a "mark" just l like my name.

She: Well that was silly. And he is so tall. The red and white are the Swans aren't they? He is not very good is he? Can I watch the Notebook yet?

Me: No he isn't good. WTF do you mean who are the Swans? And no you can't watch the ******* Notebook yet.

She: No need to be rude. Oh now look that tall guy just kicked it out over the sideline. Is that bad?

Me: .......

And near the end

She: Well the other side just scored a lot of the goal thingies. You get 2 points for them right? Why only 2. Shouldn't you get more? I think more players from your side, the red and white ones Mark see I remembered, should try kicking more goals. If they did that they would win more games.

Me: * it. I am am ringing horse right now. You have cracked the magical secret to winning games. Kicking more 6 POINT goals. You could coach at senior level. Kick better, catch balls and score goals. Why didn't anyone else think of this!

She: I know you are being sarcastic and rude. It is not a good look sweetie. And what's a horse got to do with the soccer thing you watch.

Me: Screw it here is the Notebook

She: Good boy. Now run along and leave me alone and get me a wine and the tissues.

I need the season to end bad.

I don't mind the current jumper, but going back to the red v works for me. Opera house can shove their licensing fee!
Pretty much this ^^^
I've only ever really known the opera house guernsey so to me IT IS The Swans, but I love the red V and think it looks brilliant and in the end, it's the ultimate sign that yes we are Sydney, but we are also still South Melbourne and that's a good thing.

I honestly hope he can establish himself as best 22 next year

He’s a tough mid in an age bracket we desperately need.

Really happy to see him have a good game.

My wife commented during the game how much she liked the jumper.

I hadn’t really noticed, but yes, I agree.

I am the opposite, in that I hope by next year we have enough midfielders who offer us something dynamic that a more limited player like Clarke gets edged out.
Let's be realistic he's behind Parker, Hewett, Florent, Rowbottom, Blakey, and, if you don't think he's done, Kennedy. Just don't see a place for him when everyone is in form.

But credit to him, he's in the team atm and going OK so that has to stand for something.

Back