Unofficial Preview 2020 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If combined probably the most underrated skill in a midfielder. It's funny Hodge, Lewis and Mitchell could all kick a 50m pass to a team mate. It's what actually broke up teams defensive structures against us... well that and the old 50-70m get out of Hale kick to boundary.
We need to stop bringing up the glory days man. It's making me sad AF :(

If combined probably the most underrated skill in a midfielder. It's funny Hodge, Lewis and Mitchell could all kick a 50m pass to a team mate. It's what actually broke up teams defensive structures against us... well that and the old 50-70m get out of Hale kick to boundary.

Word perfect, spot on.

Not underrated by people that have an idea about football.

Players that can run and carry, and penetrate with elite kicking, can break up any team zone or defence.

Today's football society is a jizz fest for high disposal numbers regardless of what comes from them.

We don't currently have a midfielder that ticks all of the boxes (accuracy, penetration, consistency) of kicking.

We are crying out for someone with this skill set, we break down across half forward because we can't get over that next line of the team defence.

🤦‍♂️ How can you possibly think the HFC would do this?

We’re not going to draft in another ruck and have to wait 5 years to see something from them, if we think the ruck has an immediate need.
From what we know about the people we've got in charge at the club, the fact he's the CEO's son likely means the decision to recruit him was made under more scrutiny than if he was just some random kid.

The norm is that they don’t come good until about 25. You do have some that perform earlier but it is a highly contested position and young ruckman lack the strength and conditioning to play that role consistently week in week out. Rookie list one and find a mature one.
In truth I'd be happy to play someone as a hybrid type and have an extra around the contest when the ball hits the ground, many pro and cons with that.

We need to take the best attacking midfielder.

• Must not be short
  • Must not be slow
  • Must be able to kick the ball over 50m
  • Must be able to kick ball to a person wearing the same coloured jumper as him regularly
  • Must be able to take a mark over his head at some stage around the ground

That is Elija Hollands to tee.

Word perfect, spot on.

Not underrated by people that have an idea about football.

Players that can run and carry, and penetrate with elite kicking, can break up any team zone or defence.

Today's football society is a jizz fest for high disposal numbers regardless of what comes from them.

We don't currently have a midfielder that ticks all of the boxes (accuracy, penetration, consistency) of kicking.

We are crying out for someone with this skill set, we break down across half forward because we can't get over that next line of the team defence.
While we're reminiscing we also had Suckling and Guerra's laser like kicks that were able to break down teams zones in a heartbeat too. It just makes me sad how absolutely clinical we were all over the ground. Good times.

From what we know about the people we've got in charge at the club, the fact he's the CEO's son likely means the decision to recruit him was made under more scrutiny than if he was just some random kid.
Why should he be under more scrutiny than just some random kid?

The decision would have been. They're all professionals and they'd be aware enough to realise that subconscious bias could be coming into play due to the fact that they know his father, and that his father is the CEO of their workplace. So when evaluating him as a recruitment prospect there would have been additional scrutiny in that decision process to ensure that they weren't being unduly influenced by factors unrelated to his performance/talent. The other "random" prospects could also have had some subconscious bias for some other factors going in their favour, but it's far less obvious than being the son of their CEO, so it probably goes unchecked.

Because they know it will questioned more, and criticised more if it isn't fruitful.

Drafted ruckman fails...oh well, a lot of players don't make it

Drafted son of CEO fails...what the hell was the club doing, nepotism pure and simple, jobs for the boys, corruption at the club etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m really worried about the lack of small forwards on the list. Wingard needs to play in the midfield, Puopolo will retire, Minchington will be delisted, Moore might stay on the list beyond this year, but he’s not a small forward, neither is Josh Morris who’s more a half forward. If we can get a couple of small forwards with those late picks that would be great. A new look forward-line is exactly what we need.
He reminds me of Dimma when he joined us. Accurate kick, good tackling and aggressive nature.
Time to groom him for the back pocket.

He reminds me of Dimma when he joined us. Accurate kick, good tackling and aggressive nature.
Time to groom him for the back pocket.
Personally think he’s our newest Michael Osborne.

Ned Reeves looked miles off in 2019 however he showed some promising signs with some very good taps to advantage. We were one of a few clubs who had a place on our list at the commencement of last season and most likely made the decision to rookie list Ned rather than the risk missing out in the draft. Ned is 208 cms tall and his body has shown signs of bulking up over the last year which is encouraging. He didn’t stand out in the pre-season before having an eye opening dominant game in the BHH v Casey practice game. Ned turns 22 in October so we’ll have to be patient.

I don’t rate Brandon Preuss as a footballper or person. He is a slow log and lost me when he physically attacked junior footballers when playing for NM against an academy side. Pathetic!!! 206 cms and 114 kgs hitting 85kgs kids.

We just have to manufacture an additional first-round pick too, IMO.

Just hope it's not at the expense of our 2021 first.

Could be another lean year, so that's likely to be top 5 again.

Yeah I agree we definitely want to hang onto to our 1st and 2nd round picks next year.

I would like us to improve our draft position this year by getting another first rounder, this will mean trading one of our 27+ yr old experienced players though, which I am comfortable with.

This will enable us to pick up a player like Zach Reid/Heath Chapman/Nic Cox at a mid first round selection

I remember many years ago when we built our premiership team, we traded out players like Jonathan Hay and Nathan Thompson to North Melbourne to help strengthen our draft position.

Port Adelaide have done it more recently when it traded Wingard and other players to get more first round picks in.

Last edited:
Yeah agreed, next year will be tough as we transition into rebuild mode.

I expect that we will be looking to get games into youngsters and giving them an opportunity to see if they have what it takes.

Obviously we will need to balance this, by having some experienced players there to teach them and provide leadership at the same time.

Ned Reeves looked miles off in 2019 however he showed some promising signs with some very good taps to advantage. We were one of a few clubs who had a place on our list at the commencement of last season and most likely made the decision to rookie list Ned rather than the risk missing out in the draft. Ned is 208 cms tall and his body has shown signs of bulking up over the last year which is encouraging. He didn’t stand out in the pre-season before having an eye opening dominant game in the BHH v Casey practice game. Ned turns 22 in October so we’ll have to be patient.

I don’t rate Brandon Preuss as a footballper or person. He is a slow log and lost me when he physically attacked junior footballers when playing for NM against an academy side. Pathetic!!! 206 cms and 114 kgs hitting 85kgs kids.
Last Paragraph bit of an overreaction , they were bound to experience that in the big league sooner or later mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back