Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

Remove this Banner Ad

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Yayaaaaa

Credit to the club for keeping the faith that things would turn around. Nice to know a key player of our future plans wants to see this thing through. Might just reinforce to some of the others that we're building towards a good thing here.

Happy he is staying and hopefully with guys like Heeney coming back next year he can focus back on being a small forward not a high half forward rotating through the mids

What a shame that we miss out, great move by the Swans. They've clearly changed his outlook on the team and culture, he wants to be there. Nothing Carlton could've offered would've been sufficient.

Here's hoping we can suffice a trade at the end of next year, don't mind seeing the little pitbull kicking goals in the red and white either way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a shame that we miss out, great move by the Swans. They've clearly changed his outlook on the team and culture, he wants to be there. Nothing Carlton could've offered would've been sufficient.

Here's hoping we can suffice a trade at the end of next year, don't mind seeing the little pitbull kicking goals in the red and white either way.
Can't work out whether this is trolling or not ! a trade at the end of next year is

If you had offered pick 9 last season he would be in your team right now instead for some reason you wanted to play funny buggers and demand a second round pick coming back your way.

I would be angry with your list management team, your own arrogance has cost you a chance to land one of the comp best small forwards, we are thankful tho :moustache:

Can't work out whether this is trolling or not ! a trade at the end of next year is
If you had offered pick 9 last season he would be in your team right now instead for some reason you wanted to play funny buggers and demand a second round pick coming back your way.

I would be angry with your list management team, your own arrogance has cost you a chance to land one of the comp best small forwards, we are thankful tho :moustache:

I'm not trolling. Sydney have done super well here. Anyone would be happy to retain a player of his ilk. I also genuinely love the Swans.

Yep, I'm not sure how in the hell Carlton thought a pick upgrade was worthwhile for Papley. Ridiculous. Either way, clearly it's worked out well for the Swans and we'll have to bide our time for another year and try to lure him down south again. The longer he stays though, the harder he'll be to get - especially if he goes HAM and has a 50+ goal year.

I'm not trolling. Sydney have done super well here. Anyone would be happy to retain a player of his ilk. I also genuinely love the Swans.

Yep, I'm not sure how in the hell Carlton thought a pick upgrade was worthwhile for Papley. Ridiculous. Either way, clearly it's worked out well for the Swans and we'll have to bide our time for another year and try to lure him down south again. The longer he stays though, the harder he'll be to get - especially if he goes HAM and has a 50+ goal year.
If you keep saying wait till next year YOU ARE TROLLING !

Great news on paps. Hopefully he can recapture that early season form and sustain it next year. Will help him a lot of there is a franklin or daniher to take some pressure.

not an easy situation to be in being a small forward who is also the number one option

If you keep saying wait till next year YOU ARE TROLLING !

This. Personally think clubs should be banned from courting contracted players. If a player truly wants out and a trade can be worked out to the satisfaction of all parties involved, that's a different story, but as long as Papley is under contract, other clubs can * off IMO.

You inferred Papley had a problem with the team and culture. On what did you base that assumption?

This. Personally think clubs should be banned from courting contracted players. If a player truly wants out and a trade can be worked out to the satisfaction of all parties involved, that's a different story, but as long as Papley is under contract, other clubs can fu** off IMO.
Clubs should be charged for negligent interference for similar for intentionally inducing players to break contracts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back