Grand Slam US Open 2020

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
Congrats to Thiem on a great fortnight.

A great example of everything I hate about fifth set tiebreakers. A championship decided by one player losing rather than someone actually standing up and winning. Completely underwhelming and destroys all excitement of the fifth set. What a drag.

Apr 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Double faults from Zverev, unforced errors for Thiem. Does anyone want to win.

If this is the post-Big 3 future, then the future is bleak.

It was 'epic' only because neither guy was good enough to take their opportunities. Looked like two guys trying to throw the match at times.

A crap final for a crap tournament with a pretty big asterix next to it.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon

It was 'epic' only because neither guy was good enough to take their opportunities. Looked like two guys trying to throw the match at times.

It's always easy throwing stones and casting shade sitting down on your couch watching 2 people try to achieve something they have dreamed of all their lives. The mental demons you have to overcome to win a grand slam final is something we have no idea about. What makes it harder is that you know that you can win the match as you have beaten your opponent before. They both had as good a shot as the other for their first slam title and that increases the pressure. Easier when you are the underdog or not expected to win it.

You could see the stress, nerves, pressure on both throughout. I acknowledge it was not a high quality final, but it was hard fought and they gave what they could in the moment. I feel sad for zverev, it will be a very hard loss to overcome. It's a match that will weigh on his mind everytime he gets close to winning a grand slam title.

I've been a big fan of thiem since 2014 and watched him plenty of times at the aus open and at the French. He's a player who gives his all and has improved through his career. He's a humble guy, respectful and a great advocate for the sport. Obviously he was incredibly nervous today and you could see him visibly shaking over the last few games. Just needed to get over the final hurdle to claim his maiden slam title.

Loved the tournament overall. The most I've watched of the us open probably ever. No crowds in new York? Works for me!

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
What a crazy final, 3 breaks each and both players serving for it and failing. Well done Thiem massive effort to come back and win a slam trailing 2 sets to love in the final, it doesn't happen often. Really happy for him after he has lost 3 slam finals, 2 to Nadal at the FO and 1 to Djokovic at the AO.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
It was always going to be Thiem in the end!

That choker Zverev doesn’t know how to win big games
That one is going to hurt Zverev for a long time. Didn't have to contend with Djokovic, Federer or Nadal and was only a couple of games from the tournament and straight sets win in the 3rd. Don't think he'll ever be closer to a US Open win.

Thiem has been quite brilliant in 2020. Only dropped 3 sets this US Open, on the back of pushing Djoker to 5 sets in the Australian Open final, he's 41-8 for the year. Given his clay record is pretty impressive, his last 4 French opens are F, F, SF, SF, 3 losses to Nadal and 1 to Djokovic, he'd be well and truly in the frame to win consecutive Grand Slams, particularly as Nadal hasn't played since March, and has always been prone to injury problems at 34 years old he might be vulnerable.

That one is going to hurt Zverev for a long time. Didn't have to contend with Djokovic, Federer or Nadal and was only a couple of games from the tournament and straight sets win in the 3rd. Don't think he'll ever be closer to a US Open win.

Thiem has been quite brilliant in 2020. Only dropped 3 sets this US Open, on the back of pushing Djoker to 5 sets in the Australian Open final, he's 41-8 for the year. Given his clay record is pretty impressive, his last 4 French opens are F, F, SF, SF, 3 losses to Nadal and 1 to Djokovic, he'd be well and truly in the frame to win consecutive Grand Slams, particularly as Nadal hasn't played since March, and has always been prone to injury problems at 34 years old he might be vulnerable.

Would still be backing Rafa in the French. Be interesting to see whether he can play both back to back and go deep in both. Would be a huge effort.

Zverev won't win a Slam.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets

You don't think it will be interesting going into a Grand Slam where someone other than the best 3 ranked players are a chance of winning? That's pretty much been the reality for the last 10-15 years of Men's Grand Slams, with the odd upset, but the expectation and smart predictions have always been on Nadal, Djokovic and Federer, I'm really over those match ups that we've seen 45 times.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Would still be backing Rafa in the French. Be interesting to see whether he can play both back to back and go deep in both. Would be a huge effort.

Zverev won't win a Slam.
Zverev will never get closer to a US Open IMO, but at least has time on his size for future Slams, only 23.

I just don't know how Nadal comes back not playing since March, he is no spring chicken and his body can fail him at times.

You don't think it will be interesting going into a Grand Slam where someone other than the best 3 ranked players are a chance of winning? That's pretty much been the reality for the last 10-15 years of Men's Grand Slams, with the odd upset, but the expectation and smart predictions have always been on Nadal, Djokovic and Federer, I'm really over those match ups that we've seen 45 times.

Them is probably the only one out of that lot that is any good. The next lot being Shapalov, Felix, etc should be challenging soon. Future is good in tennis. For long a lot of people and I was in that group thought Thiem was purely a clay courter who would win a French or two when Nadal retires. He's much more than that now.

Zverev will never get closer to a US Open IMO, but at least has time on his size for future Slams, only 23.

I just don't know how Nadal comes back not playing since March, he is no spring chicken and his body can fail him at times.

I've heard it before and I agree with you in theory but lets be real for a second, Rafa will use his first 3 rounds as dead set practice matches at the French.

Zverev won't win a Slam if he couldn't win that one he aint winning another one. Was lucky to beat Busta for crying out loud!

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Them is probably the only one out of that lot that is any good. The next lot being Shapalov, Felix, etc should be challenging soon. Future is good in tennis. For long a lot of people and I was in that group thought Thiem was purely a clay courter who would win a French or two when Nadal retires. He's much more than that now.
I reckon there's a bunch of players in that 20-25 age range who could come good and have a strong 5 years to challenge. With no clear top 3 superpowers like we've had, it should be pretty interesting with contenders for a lot of Slams, I think I will enjoy that more than watching the same Finals year on year.

I reckon there's a bunch of players in that 20-25 age range who could come good and have a strong 5 years to challenge. With no clear top 3 superpowers like we've had, it should be pretty interesting with contenders for a lot of Slams, I think I will enjoy that more than watching the same Finals year on year.

Novak is probably got 2-3 years at the real contending level left. In a weird way this year has given him a break. Think Thiem is the one right now but there's a bunch after that and you are right the next era or two is exciting

Apr 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood

I want to see someone take it from the Big 3, not be handed it by default.

And even if the Big 3 aren't there, I would like to see champion-level performances on their level. Which this match certainly was not.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It was pretty normal for a grand slam final between two guys who’ve never won a major title.

You are never going to get a high quality match in those circumstances. There is too much opportunity and too much pressure on both players.

Both will be much better in the next finals they play.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
would like to thank google for spoiling the result. saved me 4 hours of entertainment.

Kudos to Domi. so happy he finally won one. I didn't even think he should play the US tbh. he was always best on clay and with the short turnaround, I thought he should give it his all to beat Nadal. proved me and others wrong.

can't say much on the final. Only watched the last 4 games plus TB. A Lot of nerves. Zverev needs to work on that 2nd serve.

would like to thank google for spoiling the result. saved me 4 hours of entertainment.

Kudos to Domi. so happy he finally won one. I didn't even think he should play the US tbh. he was always best on clay and with the short turnaround, I thought he should give it his all to beat Nadal. proved me and others wrong.

can't say much on the final. Only watched the last 4 games plus TB. A Lot of nerves. Zverev needs to work on that 2nd serve.

That second serve is a joke and his defence is awful on second serves to make it worse

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I want to see someone take it from the Big 3, not be handed it by default.

And even if the Big 3 aren't there, I would like to see champion-level performances on their level. Which this match certainly was not.
Well that's part of the decline of time that hits all Champions at some point, and will hit the big 3 too inevitably, maybe we will see it as soon as this year? So far Thiem has 1W and 1 Finals lost in 5 sets for 2020, so arguably he might be ready.

The only issue for Thiem is the short turnaround, the French Open begins in less than 2 weeks, so he's got to get over there, rest, acclimatise, and maybe have a hit or two in other tournaments to warm up on the clay courts. He's played a lot of tennis so far in 2020 relative to others. 49 games and only mid September is a fair season load.

Back