Past Elijah Taylor - delisted 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mod Note:

I've removed a large number of posts from the last day or so that is mainly speculation without any factual basis and broader discussion on the issue of DV.

I want to bring this thread back on track and reiterate the scope of the discussion to be:
*new developments in the Taylor case as more facts get reported
*ramifications of such facts on Taylor's future at the club and the Swans
*subsequent actions the Swans should take

If you want to talk about the sociology around the issue of DV more generally there's sure to be many appropriate threads on the Society, Religion, Politics board.

There's no reason for oppo posters to be weighing in here, there's a thread on the main board about the exact same topic.

From here on posts that are simply speculating without any factual backing are going in the bin. This includes:
*any posts speculating on the outcome of Taylor's guilt/innocence - he's presumed innocent until found guilty, we know as it stands there are serious allegations of DV against him, there's going to be a hearing on September 30. Without further fact and information, no one's in a position to make a more enlightened view.
*any posts theorising the girl 'attention-seeking' or making false claim for some other reason - without any supporting facts it's completely unfair to be making that sort of character assessment. A DV allegation is a serious claim and there's no business in dismissing it until the facts arise to counter it.

cherub

All Australian
Aug 12, 2009
Shenton Park
AFL Club
Sydney
AS far as we know, he hasn't been charged. If this is a followup of his ex-girlfriend's complaint, then the police are obliged to question him. There is a process and it needs to play out.

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Here's article for you.

Interesting that the alleged incidents occurred back in Sydney.

Sydney Swans AFL player Elijah Taylor arrested by WA Police
Phil Hickey and Kate RyanThe West Australian
Sun, 13 September 2020 8:00PM

Rising Sydney Swans star Elijah Taylor has been arrested and questioned by police in Perth this afternoon.
The 19-year-old was arrested in the south-eastern suburb of Langford about 1.25pm, 7NEWS have reported.
CCTV appears to show the teenager, who is currently exiled from the AFL over a quarantine breach, being taken into custody by police and put into a police vehicle.

It’s understood Taylor is currently being questioned by police at Cannington police station.
No charges are believed to have been laid at this stage and the exact reason for his arrest remains unclear.
Taylor’s manager said the young AFL recruit was co-operating with police and no charges had been laid.
It’s not the first time the WA-born Sydney Swans first year player has made headlines.
Last month, serious claims against Taylor were brought to the attention of police, after allegations by his ex-girlfriend, 18-year-old former Karratha Senior High School student Lekahni Pearce, were made on social media.
The acts allegedly took place three times in Sydney before COVID-19 and hadn’t been reported to police.
The AFL said once they found out about the claims, they contacted the police over the allegations in a statement which said: “The allegations are extremely serious. The AFL has been in contact with local law enforcement and will continue to provide support and assistance for all.”
Elijah Taylor's girlfriend Lekahni Pearce. Credit: Unknown/Facebook
Taylor had been staying with family in WA following a suspension for the rest of the AFL season for a quarantine breach involving his 18-year-old girlfriend.
In August, the 19-year-old was suspended for the rest of the AFL season after Ms Pearce was caught in his Joondalup resort room.
She had arrived from NSW two weeks earlier and had completed her quarantine period but wasn’t allowed into the player’s hub. The late-night rendezvous cost the Swans $50,000, half of which was suspended.
Taylor apologised, for what was called a “really poor decision”, and the Sydney Swans later apologised to the WA community for the situation. The 19-year-old revealed he had received a barrage of racist comments following his apology on social media.
Ms Pearce also apologised for the breach, but told 7NEWS “how easy” it was to pull off.
“No security, I didn’t see a security guard,” she said. “I just walked through, went to his room. That’s how easy it was.
“I am sorry for everything. And like, we did make a really big mistake.”
Taylor has been staying with family in Perth since he was suspended.

If it’s true that the ‘incidents’ occurred whilst in Sydney and prior Covid 19 that means they are at least 7 months old and only now coming to light after he broke up with her. She was so threatened by what happened that she only thought to damage his reputation using social media after they split. Disingenuous. Doesn’t men they didn’t happen but police justifiably won’t take them as seriously. Why would they? She didn’t take them serious other than to cause him grief AFTER splitting. Unless he admits guilt in his record of interview the police won’t go further and nor will AFL.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
If it’s true that the ‘incidents’ occurred whilst in Sydney and prior Covid 19 that means they are at least 7 months old and only now coming to light after he broke up with her. She was so threatened by what happened that she only thought to damage his reputation using social media after they split. Disingenuous. Doesn’t men they didn’t happen but police justifiably won’t take them as seriously. Why would they? She didn’t take them serious other than to cause him grief AFTER splitting. Unless he admits guilt in his record of interview the police won’t go further and nor will AFL.

In some cases it can take years for the victim to come forward.

I obviously don't know how women act and I'm not saying it didn't happen (quite the contrary, given the sheer difficulty of getting charged with DV allegations) but it's odd that they'd break Covid regulations to see each other if he did commit domestic violence. I would've cut off ties on the spot.

Not sure what's the best way for Sydney to go forward. Wouldn't begrude them if they sacked him on the spot, but it wouldn't be a great look if he's found not guilty. Hopefully the courts make the call for us.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Should have given the 37 guernsey to Blakey. Blakey has never assaulted anyone.
I actually wonder if the number should've of just been retired, don't know if anyone could of lived up, not only to the player, but the person behind the number. In the end, it's just a number, but still, should have been left with the legend.

I actually wonder if the number should've of just been retired, don't know if anyone could of lived up, not only to the player, but the person behind the number. In the end, it's just a number, but still, should have been left with the legend.
100% Shouldve been retired

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
If he's being charged it's safe to assume they have some evidence against him.

Sure they have evidence. At the least her statement. They also have those photos showing discolouration on her cheek and under her eye which may be bruising though weren’t conclusively so. They wouldn’t have any medical evidence nor police corroboration of the injuries as they have already healed. Third party witnesses unlikely.

It’s still a case of he said she said.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Sure they have evidence. At the least her statement. They also have those photos showing discolouration on her cheek and under her eye which may be bruising though weren’t conclusively so. They wouldn’t have any medical evidence nor police corroboration of the injuries as they have already healed. Third party witnesses unlikely.

It’s still a case of he said she said.
My understanding is she didn't press charges and he's being charged for a completely different incident. There's a pattern which is quickly emerging here

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney

New incident from Sunday morning a Hotel in Perth, what the hell is going on with him.

Omg a separate assault with an 18 year old woman. Is it lekahne? She originally came from WA.

The kid is a runaway train. This is badly damaging the swans brand now. Damn

MF

Good Poster, s**t Bloke
Sep 10, 2006
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Over a " family violence matter".

Does this mean it was someone blood related? Or could it still be his girlfriend/ex-girlfriend?

Either way... wtf

J_Moore

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 8, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

New incident from Sunday morning a Hotel in Perth, what the hell is going on with him.

He’s a young bloke that’s had an apparently troubled upbringing, and appears to have struggles with anger and alcohol/whatever else? It’s not an uncommon story.

i’m not keen for the club to cut him loose, tbh. You can’t take on guys like Taylor and say you want to help them, then walk away at the first signs of serious trouble.

If he avoids jail, keep him on the list, away from league football, and see if you can help the guy get himself right. It’ll be better for everyone involved in his life.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
He’s a young bloke that’s had a troubled upbringing, and appears to have struggles with anger and alcohol/whatever else? It’s not an uncommon story.

i’m not keen for the club to cut him loose, tbh. You can’t take on guys like Taylor and say you want to help them, then walk away at the first signs of serious trouble.

If he avoids jail, keep him on the list, away from league football, and see if you can help the guy get himself right. It’ll be better for everyone involved in his life.

Agree there the best support he will have is a football club.

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Given this new incident (and I presume it is to do with his EX GF), Sydney is going to find it very difficult to stay the course with him.
Really doesn't give a lot of confidence in him being able to deal with the issues in the short term future. Surely the club would have reached out after he last incidents and offered support and advice
The Club management must be having quite the dilemma at the moment

MF

Good Poster, s**t Bloke
Sep 10, 2006
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
He’s a young bloke that’s had a troubled upbringing, and appears to have struggles with anger and alcohol/whatever else? It’s not an uncommon story.

I tend to agree.

I can definitely understand the calls from some to immediately axe him... Domestic violence is despicable and you don't want your club, and by extension, yourself to be seen to condone it or go easy on the issue in any way but it's not exactly helping to prevent it from occurring again.

Whether he's on the list or not, the club should be doing whatever they can to help him.

dosser

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney

He hasn't been a Swan for a year and during that time he's:
-Broke COVID restrictions
-Allegedly assaulted his girlfriend (no charges so innocent until guilty)
-Been charged by police for another incident of assault

I get the desire to help him but he doesn't need to be on the clubs books for us to offer support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back