List Mgmt. 2020 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Part 1

The thread is continued in part 2:

My understanding is that if a player is bid on then the club needs to match if they want the player minus a discount, end up result is that it chews up draft points and hence draft position for the rest of the draft or worst case future draft.

So earlier the bid the more points.

I expect the opposite to the above, and that picks will disappear in the mid range. So don’t expect our second round Melb pick to slide out to mid 30’s.

Clubs needing to use up picks will have picks disappearing, they may trade back, but if they have to match bids in the first round say good bye to 2nd and 3rd even 4th round picks. Look at what happened to Freo and it’s carry over deficit.

It would take a decent spreadsheet but not impossible to come up with ( I’m sure the clubs have something suitable worked out) to deal with matching pick values and which picks would disappear. Gets messy but will be some big winners!
As Taylor points out a pick in second round might be enough to match a pick mid first round but it creates a new pick in the first round (or match with a second and a late third for eg. after our second). There could well be a team that decides to match a first round pick with multiple seconds so that would be correct what you say. But then the same could be said for a bid match in the second round being matched by two thirds.

Think back to 2015 where we did a late trade with a future 2nd for pick 35. This pick slid back 3 places to pick 38 (H. Balic).

Also there are some FA compo picks. Rory Atkins to Gold Coast (4 year contract) is a likely second round pick (an early one at that based on Adelaide’s ladder position), Brad Crouch (depending on contract) is looking like end of first round pick and Daniher most prob a first round pick. That’s just three I can think of. I suspect our second will end up being mid to late 30’s at best.

What does tend to happen is a late third or fourth round pulls forward (so instead of pick 60 you end up with 54). Clubs like Adelaide have a bountiful of picks and won’t bat that deep and clubs going the multiple pick option to match bids in the 2nd/3rd round get a pick back but right at the back end with only a small amount of surplus points left.

If Walls and Belly spend Trade week and subsequent trade of draft pick period in the pub no where to be seen then we would likely end up with something like the following on ND night:
16, 36, 62

I was looking into it.

The Dogs and Sydney have their picks chewed up after our second, but Port is before so that's the key one.

We will have a better picture after trade week but it's not unreasonable to expect our first pick might be mid teen by the time it gets called.

So trading it might not be terrible if it gets us a best 22 player

I think given where the list is currently and with Hill and Mundy likely to go end of next year we could do two things.

We could look at trading our first next year with Sydney for their first this year if a bid on Braeden Campbell is coming.
We could even look at trading this year's first for a first next year plus change this year to get some points. Take Western, Walker and perhaps upgrade Pina or Thomas as the third pick.

Replacing Hill and Mundy next year with two firsts could be interesting

If we beat the Bullies and the Saints beat the Giants we'll finish tenth...Given Ugle-Hagan and Campbell will get bid for somewhere in there you would assume we could be picking at 12 or 13...which is a real bastard
Lots of Vics touted in that range. Not sure you'd be any more confident picking at 10 than you would be at 15 this year.

I think given where the list is currently and with Hill and Mundy likely to go end of next year we could do two things.

We could look at trading our first next year with Sydney for their first this year if a bid on Braeden Campbell is coming.
We could even look at trading this year's first for a first next year plus change this year to get some points. Take Western, Walker and perhaps upgrade Pina or Thomas as the third pick.

Replacing Hill and Mundy next year with two firsts could be interesting
Quite warming to the idea of banking an extra first for next year. We've already got so much talent that we'll be reintroducing next year, there's Pearce, Logue, Hamling, Young, Sturt and Henry to name a few.

That being said, if our pick falls in the range of Carroll or Perkins I think I'd definitely be holding it.

Edit: completely forgot that we'll have to squeeze Tucker in to.

If you're comfortable trading firsts...
Sydney may have Carlton's first round pick in exchange for Papley which is #7. That pick would be in the firing line for their academy player.

Freo trade 2021 1st for #7
Sydney's academy player is bid on, wiping out their draft hand
Sydney trade their 2021 1st for #15

We get massive overs there but it is because we facilitate Sydney hiding a pick from the academy bid. They walk out of the draft with pick #3, #6 and #15

We swap our firsts this season and next, turn #15 into #7 and ride their pick next season hoping we do better.

Sydney may have Carlton's first round pick in exchange for Papley which is #7. That pick would be in the firing line for their academy player.

We get massive overs there but it is because we facilitate Sydney hiding a pick from the academy bid. They walk out of the draft with pick #3, #6 and #15

We swap our firsts this season and next, turn #15 into #7 and ride their pick next season hoping we do better.

Papley has said he's staying in Sydney

announced this Morning that Papley is staying in Sydney

If we beat the Bullies and the Saints beat the Giants we'll finish tenth...Given Ugle-Hagan and Campbell will get bid for somewhere in there you would assume we could be picking at 12 or 13...which is a real bastard
Going by Twomey’s last rankings, Trew and O’Driscoll should be there. Perkins and Carroll would be my go to if they’re gone. Eddie Ford another one too that could come up in discussions, half forward who is modelling his game on Fyfe, he reached out to Freo earlier in the year for footage of Fyfe.

Going by Twomey’s last rankings, Trew and O’Driscoll should be there. Perkins and Carroll would be my go to if they’re gone. Eddie Ford another one too that could come up in discussions, half forward who is modelling his game on Fyfe, he reached out to Freo earlier in the year for footage of Fyfe.
Liked the look of Ford in the u17 game last year. Seemed to have a nice bit of X factor

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m surprised Ford isn’t rated higher. Seems like a player with a high ceiling too. Has the look of a guy who would slot in at a higher level very easily. Is he pacy I wonder?

Interesting.
He has really good awareness looking at the highlights and a good side step. Interesting prospect

Ford reminds me of a young Cousins, came into WC as a Forward/mid and Ford moves a lot like him.

Quite warming to the idea of banking an extra first for next year. We've already got so much talent that we'll be reintroducing next year, there's Pearce, Logue, Hamling, Young, Sturt and Henry to name a few.

That being said, if our pick falls in the range of Carroll or Perkins I think I'd definitely be holding it.

Edit: completely forgot that we'll have to squeeze Tucker in to.
Another Daicos who is predicted to go top 3 next year.

We could trade our 2020 first round for Collingwoods 2021 first round.

Swings onto his non preferred without blinking too. How tall is he?
Ford? 188cm. Great size to slot into our forward line (along with Sturt). I am sold, ticks a lot of boxes. Has had some knee issues, but sounds like that was minor.

Another Daicos who is predicted to go top 3 next year.

We could trade our 2020 first round for Collingwoods 2021 first round.
I like this - Reckon if collingwood dont trade for a forward they will be 8-12th next year.
After that deal I would then try to trade out our 2021 first round for either adelaide or north melbournes 2nd first round oick. (picks 9/10 atm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back