Oppo Camp Regular Non Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What possesses an AFL player to single-handedly just throw the pill like that though?

That's like... i can't imagine ever doing it at amateur level. Surely if you're off balance you just take the ball to ground with you. Hold onto it. But nope.

Old mate literally says "Catya" and just turfs it without a care in the world. Didn't even ATTEMPT to handball it.

Even worse is that i don't see a single player even look at the umpire and appeal for a free kick. Everyone just accepts what's happened.

Every team is guilty of it a couple of times in a game, but Richmond and Western Bulldogs are next level compared to every other team.

It is infuriating to watch and almost never gets pinged by the umpires. Someone new to the game would have a genuine case to believe throwing is allowed.

There was a game a couple of weeks ago when Dusty got pinged and said to the umpire “You can’t have seen that.”
Not I hand balled it, just you can’t have seen that as if the umpire was more in the wrong for calling it than he was for throwing it.

Every team is guilty of it a couple of times in a game, but Richmond and Western Bulldogs are next level compared to every other team.

It is infuriating to watch and almost never gets pinged by the umpires. Someone new to the game would have a genuine case to believe throwing is allowed.

There was a game a couple of weeks ago when Dusty got pinged and said to the umpire “You can’t have seen that.”
Not I hand balled it, just you can’t have seen that as if the umpire was more in the wrong for calling it than he was for throwing it.
In regards to throwing, Bulldogs 2016 was just unreal, they were playing rugby that year with the amount of throwing going on.

What possesses an AFL player to single-handedly just throw the pill like that though?

That's like... i can't imagine ever doing it at amateur level. Surely if you're off balance you just take the ball to ground with you. Hold onto it. But nope.

Old mate literally says "Catya" and just turfs it without a care in the world. Didn't even ATTEMPT to handball it.

Even worse is that i don't see a single player even look at the umpire and appeal for a free kick. Everyone just accepts what's happened.
this is where the game has got to, several rules just ignored.

Well if you look at his left hand, it swings through very quickly, not sure he made contact but it looks ok?

Have you also considered a future in AFL umpiring? :p

Same sh*t with that over-the-head-handball thats been allowed to creep into the game. You cant handball over your head to a teammate behind you - thats a throw.

Somehow the interpretation of a valid handball has become "disposal of the ball by hand, provided the fist connects with the ball at some point of the disposal".

I must have forgotten the rule change.
I thought the punch makes it a legal handball - now it seems the hand holding the ball can be used to create the momentum.

Well at least all these rule relaxations to keep the ball in motion are leading to record high scores :rolleyes:

🤦‍♂️
Back in the day you had to punch the ball off your hand not throw with one hand and push it with the other.
It's probably physically possible to punch the ball over your head but on almost every occasion it is a throw/push.

Back in the day you had to punch the ball off your hand not throw with one hand and push it with the other.
It's probably physically possible to punch the ball over your head but on almost every occasion it is a throw/push.

This is why I don't like the two handed scoop from a loose ground ball. Player grabs ball with one open palm and one fist and then scoops/throws the ball out all in one motion.

Yeah I’ve said it to a few people but seems as though the league/umpires have basically decided that they are fine with dubious handballs and dropping the ball as long as it results in the team retaining possession, or at the least the other team winning it.

Only time they’ll call a throw is if it’s extremely obvious and the other hand doesn’t move, and the only time they’ll call incorrect disposal is if it causes a stoppage.

I can’t remember when it was but the when league said they wanted to reduce stoppages, it really paved the way for certain teams to just put 100% faith in keeping that ball rolling and running forward in a pack - knowing that you’ll keep possession as long as you don’t get caught holding onto the footy.

I can’t remember when it was but the when league said they wanted to reduce stoppages, it really paved the way for certain teams to just put 100% faith in keeping that ball rolling and running forward in a pack - knowing that you’ll keep possession as long as you don’t get caught holding onto the footy.

AKA The Richmond game-plan.

I'd really like to avoid playing Collingwood in the first week of finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know Mason Cox isn't anything special and he's clearly gotten his opportunity largely because of his height, but none-the-less I do think what he's managed to do is pretty impressive.

Having never played the game before, picking it up at a late age and not even coming from a truly elite sporting background he's managed to become a reasonable footballer. He has decent hands, a decent drop punt and doesn't look anymore lost than a lot of very average tall players.

Aussie rules is incredibly hard to transition to, but in his case I think the Basketball/Soccer background combo has helped him out a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back