Coach NMFC Senior Coach Rhyce Shaw - Ben Buckley announces NMFC & Shaw will part ways immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

There was something in the commentary thread a few days ago about player disharmony, and some comments on our social media about 'trouble in paradise'. Would be very interested to know what's behind that, because the stuff we're serving up at the moment can't just be personnel-related.

I've got a horrible feeling that Rhyce has lost more than a few of the players. When you look at the public clipping of Polec and Brown (a day after Brown announced a personal tragedy), the way he's basically set Majak up to fail after 2 years out of the game, Pittard who was played out of position and has dropped off the face of the Earth since. All while cooped up in a hub... there's warning signs everywhere you look. Fingers crossed that whatever's going on off-field is nothing that can't be undone heading into next year.
Been thinking this myself.

On top of the points you and LtK have made, you also have to expect a generational shift in the dominance of personalities among a group this size.

Do Jack and Jmac still command the attention of the under 23s as they have seemed to in the past? Or is the next generation of leaders starting to exert their influence?

Group dynamics would be fascinating at the moment, and they provide yet another layer of complication in the work Rhyce has ahead of him.

A couple of them played like it.
Throw in the Brown contract negotiations and I think a few of the senior core have probably been shocked that you don't get an auto-renew stamp with this new administration.

The only interest I've got now is for how deep the knife is going to cut once next week is done & dusted.

Personally, I hope it's brutal.

Been thinking this myself.

On top of the points you and LtK have made, you also have to expect a generational shift in the dominance of personalities among a group this size.

Do Jack and Jmac still command the attention of the under 23s as they have seemed to in the past? Or is the next generation of leaders starting to exert their influence?

Group dynamics would be fascinating at the moment, and they provide yet another layer of complication in the work Rhyce has ahead of him.

It's something we've not really experienced in the last 2 coaching tenures.

Calling out Brown and Polec in they way it was done was certainly new. Polec may or may not have justification but doing it with a clearly wrung out on and off field character like Brown, I wasn't wrapt with it.

Hate that I'm having to reference Brad more and more but that was a clear strength of his, he'd have never potted Brown in a personal week like that for him.

Odd people management approach for mine.

Throw in the Brown contract negotiations and I think a few of the senior core have probably been shocked that you don't get an auto-renew stamp with this new administration.

The only interest I've got now is for how deep the knife is going to cut once next week is done & dusted.

Personally, I hope it's brutal.

Absolutely. Let's use the Lions as our inspiration. It wasn't that long ago that they had 5 players walk out and then the rebuild began with good drafting and trades like Hodge and Lachie Neale. It can be done and i have confidence it will be done with Brady at the helm.

I like the clear delineation between coach and player.

Scott was a great mate to many of the players and it showed in the way we performed as a team. Average. Comfortable in the fact that " there's always tomorrow, next week, next year".

It smacked of near enough is good enough.

I don't think it is for the new bloke, who looks hungry for success. Real success.

The whole group needed a massive wake up call and I reckon they're getting it. The presser from weeks ago was telling. The one where Shaw was asked about our season from hell and his answer was along the lines of "well, we're learning a few things out about a few blokes".

That spoke volumes to me and I'm not overly surprised at the team's reaction since then.

The caretakers who aren't taking care of business

Carlton and North Melbourne sacked coaches a week apart last year, Brendon Bolton and Brad Scott replaced initially by caretakers who became permanents in David Teague and Rhyce Shaw.

A season and a half later, both clubs have not improved. The Roos are on the verge of crisis.

Carlton's insipid first half against the bottom-of-the-ladder Adelaide on Sunday was in keeping with too many of its performances under Teague – it was the 17th time in the 27 matches he has coached where the Blues have conceded a 30-point run to their opponents.

Under Shaw in the back half of last season, North defeated five of the teams currently sitting among the top nine on the ladder. Since round two this year, it has won just one game – against the only team below it on the ladder.

North has had injuries to key players this season, but it actually contributed to some of those situations, particularly when it signed off on Ben Cunnington against the Bulldogs in round five when he could barely walk.

Shaw has no answers at the moment, but remember, he publicly volunteered at the start of the year, and again after wins in the opening two rounds, that his club was capable of not just making finals but potentially winning one or more.

They can barely win a quarter of footy these days. Hope Shaw gets some high-end support for 2021. The people who made the decision to sack Scott owe that to him, and not providing him with it in 2020 has set back him and the club a very, very long way.

Last edited:
There was something in the commentary thread a few days ago about player disharmony, and some comments on our social media about 'trouble in paradise'. Would be very interested to know what's behind that, because the stuff we're serving up at the moment can't just be personnel-related.

I've got a horrible feeling that Rhyce has lost more than a few of the players. When you look at the public clipping of Polec and Brown (a day after Brown announced a personal tragedy), the way he's basically set Majak up to fail after 2 years out of the game, Pittard who was played out of position and has dropped off the face of the Earth since. All while cooped up in a hub... there's warning signs everywhere you look. Fingers crossed that whatever's going on off-field is nothing that can't be undone heading into next year.

My mail is it's been a tough year (well for everyone) and it's been testing at times. But it's welcome, as we need to foster a more honest environment.

The fact is this, without a doubt:

- This is not Shaw's list.
- We were smashed by injuries.
- He is a brand new coach who lost backroom staff in a once in a century event.
- Locked in entirely bizarre conditions away from home.
- Our 23 to 27 list profile is ordinary because of drafting errors/ poor development.
- We signed up a stack of cream players and the cake fell over.
- Due to results, our confidence and then effort fell over. And with that came some frank words.

s**t year in general and one North supporters are loathing, but I'm willing to cut everyone some slack when the bare minimum you can do on this earth for 12 months is survive.

Zoom out and it makes entire sense. Don't panic, it'll be fine once they can come home.

So, I have been worried about Shaw, and my initial optimism has faded. I understand the way he treated Polec, who I think seems not a great bloke to have around, but was disappointed with how Brown has been treated. He is a massive drawcard for the kids especially.

I also can't understand some of the decisions he has made with players. Why Daw forward? Why Pittard forward? Why isn't Higgins in the Centre? Why Bonar in defence? And why were we so good in spurts last year but s**t this year?

So my theory is this: He is appointed on a temporary basis last year. He lookd around and says "This list is s**t, filled with slow plodders with limited skills, but they can probably batter their way to a few wins, but that style will not get us top-4 or GF. But if I win a few I will get the job." So he decides to let them play that way, so he wins a few (which he did) and then gets appointed. Part one done.

Then step two starts - gutting the list. He knows who he doesn't rate, not interested in the over 23's who are not above average or elite. He gets them to play a style to which most of them are unaccustomed or unable to play (defensive, high possession, high skill level stuff, hand ball chains and the like) and we start getting beaten handily. Those who are for the chop are played out of position to make room for younger players, those he is uncertain about he plays repeatedly to see if they seize the chance (as McDonald did) and a couple he wants to try out in a new role. Doesn't care about winning, doesn't care about a certain group f players (Daw, Pittard, Macmillan, Ahern).

At the end of the season, the talented under 23 group have games under their belt and cemented their place (Simpkin, LDU, Scott, Taylor) a few players have reinvented themselves (well, LMAC has) and a lot of dead wood have given Brady a reason to cut them (too many to mention). Plus two first round draft picks.

This is what I hope has happened. I am sure the greater minds on here can see many flaws with this scenario but felt like telling someone, and would like to know what others think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My mail is it's been a tough year (well for everyone) and it's been testing at times. But it's welcome, as we need to foster a more honest environment.

- Our 23 to 27 list profile is ordinary because of drafting errors/ poor development.
- Due to results, our confidence and then effort fell over. And with that came some frank words.

sh*t year in general and one North supporters are loathing, but I'm willing to cut everyone some slack when the bare minimum you can do on this earth for 12 months is survive.

Zoom out and it makes entire sense. Don't panic, it'll be fine once they can come home.
Nailed it.

This is what I hope has happened. I am sure the greater minds on here can see many flaws with this scenario but felt like telling someone, and would like to know what others think.

Doesn't make sense for mine. If this was his strategy he wouldn't have painted himself into a corner by declaring that we were a competitive finals side at the start of the year, only to cry that the list is s**t and we need to rebuild two months later.

sh*t year in general and one North supporters are loathing, but I'm willing to cut everyone some slack when the bare minimum you can do on this earth for 12 months is survive.

Based on all of that it's actually a great opportunity for a calm and considered ground-up rebuild. Keep the best leaders and senior key position players. Give responsibility to kids but support them to continue to grow and develop. Hit the draft hard. Continue looking for bargains in our age range (19-23) and keep the wolf (a slow motion implosion event) from the door by adding necessary role players (like Corr) via FA.

Steps for 2020 off season:
1. Re-sign Brown as he's the beating heart of this club, an invaluable key position player, a consummate professional and a great role model for young players
2. Cut 10+ players
3. Trade Polec
4. Sign Corr
5. Chase fringe guys that meet needs in our age range like Witherden, Stephenson, Fiorini and Brodie
6. Look for the next Ben Keays/Josh Walker type FA
7. Go to the draft with hopefully 4-5 top 40 draft picks

We won't be world beaters in 2021 off of that, nothing will make us world beaters in 2021, but we'll have a clear vision for the future. If Rhyce can't motivate that group of young players to be competitive then he's just baby-sitting a good bunch and helping secure us a future midfield star from the great 2021 draft. By 2022 we're brimming with young talent and pulled forward by the momentum of our senior leaders. All things going well we look like an attractive destination for FAs (who would be Jy's age) and would have a lot of room in the cap.

There's a way out of this morass. Follow it.

It's something we've not really experienced in the last 2 coaching tenures.

Calling out Brown and Polec in they way it was done was certainly new. Polec may or may not have justification but doing it with a clearly wrung out on and off field character like Brown, I wasn't wrapt with it.

Hate that I'm having to reference Brad more and more but that was a clear strength of his, he'd have never potted Brown in a personal week like that for him.

Odd people management approach for mine.
Laidley used to take pot shots at his own players in the media.....was a bit made of it at the time too.

Laidley used to take pot shots at his own players in the media.....was a bit made of it at the time too.

He made some reference to blokes not knowing their opponents or working hard enough to realise their talent. He didn't humiliate solid citizens.

Dean was far from the perfect manager but don't think he had a Ben Brown moment in his reign.

Great post!

They can barely win a quarter of footy these days.

Like I know we're s**t and all but we also 'won' 2 quarters of football against Port.

We're s**t but the hyperbole isn't required.

Dean was far from the perfect manager but don't think he had a Ben Brown moment in his reign.
Saying words to the effect of 'we're looking at selling Hamish Macintosh'

Aren't really a highlight.

Saying words to the effect of 'we're looking at selling Hamish Macintosh'

Aren't really a highlight.

I'm well aware of Dean's shortcomings and that wasn't a fine moment. But I think Rhyce announcing a long term, high quality character like Ben Brown was dropped for poor form during a period of poor team performance when his family had just suffered a personal tragedy wasn't pulling the right lever.

I'm well aware of Dean's shortcomings and that wasn't a fine moment. But I think Rhyce announcing a long term, high quality character like Ben Brown was dropped for poor form during a period of poor team performance when his family had just suffered a personal tragedy wasn't pulling the right lever.

Mate, we get it. You didn't like the timing or content of Rhyce's public clip of Brown.

It seems that you're allowing it to cloud your judgement of Shaw, because you're getting increasingly negative toward him, using exactly the same gripe each time you post about it.

Mate, we get it. You didn't like the timing or content of Rhyce's public clip of Brown.

It seems that you're allowing it to cloud your judgement of Shaw, because you're getting increasingly negative toward him, using exactly the same gripe each time you post about it.

I've mentioned it 2-3 time today in conversations relating to his man management. I don't recall speaking of it previously.

Explain how is that clouding my judgement?

What did you think of the public clip of Brown?

I've mentioned it 2-3 time today in conversations relating to his man management. I don't recall speaking of it previously.

Explain how is that clouding my judgement?

What did you think of the public clip of Brown?

I didn't like the clip but that is one incident (which appears to be getting a lot of airplay in this thread) in a whole sea of incidents and issues this year.

There is a decidedly negative trend in this thread (in terms of assessment of Shaw) and I think it's being perpetuated to an extent by the repetition of the one incident that you clearly didn't like. My view is that it is being given disproportionate weight in the evolving assessment of Shaw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back