Richmond Ruck Situation 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

G String

All Australian
Jan 3, 2008
Brighton
AFL Club
Richmond
Firstly the Soldo injury - is tragic for the man and terrible timing. I don't want to sound insensitive but in my opinion it is not the worst thing that could happen to the Tiges 2020 hopes - Nank looked good last weekend - even tho he was against a below grade ruck oppo - and I think a Nank / Chol combo works well for us - better than Nank/Soldo. Nank is built for finals and Chol gives us flexibility.

Going forward into 2021 it also opens up a potential new way of managing our ruck stocks - given that with this injury we look likely to hold on to CCJ - we will have 3 good ruck options available at different stages throughout the year.

With ruckmen - I believe they work better fresh from a spell. They have more spring and have less niggles to carry - and can go harder for shorter bursts. So why not work our ruck crew in blocks of 4-5 games in combo with Chol. Rounds 1-5 - Nank. Rounds 6-10 - CCJ. Rounds 11-15 - Try dual CCJ/Nank (give Chol a break). Maybe Soldo back back late in the year - round 15 onwards hopefully.

It'd be made clear to the rucks what their blocks are and they can prep/recover accordingly - it allows them to go harder for shorter periods. It allows the coaches to see what works in time for finals 2021 and for season 2022. Added benefit is that also allows us to up the value of one of rucks for potential trade in 2022.

I like both Chol or CCJ as long-term forward / ruck prospects, but I'm yet to see the required competitiveness for the centre square. You don't get away with standing and watching the umpires bounce many times before the oppo start taking advantage. Those two have some work to do before they even get considered for a game against good opposition.

So why not work our ruck crew in blocks of 4-5 games in combo with Chol. Rounds 1-5 - Nank. Rounds 6-10 - CCJ. Rounds 11-15 - Try dual CCJ/Nank (give Chol a break). Maybe Soldo back back late in the year - round 15 onwards hopefully.
This'd be a hard thing to sell from the selector's/match committee perspective. Every player on the list would want to play maximum games possible. And we should be fielding the best team we can, as much as possible.

If I was Nank or Soldo and was told this was the plan, I wouldn't be overly keen. I'd want to work my way into the side on merit and stay there while form and fitness allowed, not know I was gonna be "rested/dropped" in R6.

And anyway, they are gonna go back and play 2s I imagine, so in reality they're not getting any rest benefits, they're still gonna be rucking and running games out.

The thing that impresses me about Chol is he has a bit of swing-man about him. He can be your third tall forward who changes in the ruck for 5 minutes a quarter when we play teams that don't have a dominant ruckman/men. He could also pinch hit down at CHB if required as he reads it ok and can take a mark/spoil.

But I still think when we come up against the really good rucking teams, we need Nank/Soldo. Chol relieving against them gets us into trouble, and we lose a lot of momentum. That's not to say he can't improve that aspect of his game, but he isn't there yet.

Chol should be spending a lot of the off season with big Ivan Maric.

Watching the video on Richmond site re. the scratch match v The Cats, maybe it was the editing but Chol really looked like he dominated.
Reckon with Soldo now out until 2022, Mabior might cruise right past him and end up teaming with CCJ.

Roachy8 likes this. :thumbsu:

obviously everything centres around Nank

then Chol - too often is easily pushed around in the ruck but can compete ok in all forms ie(centre bounce , ball up and thrown in )

then we look to the non conventional - astbury , balta , K mac

if Nank was to go down I'd say we have to go with Chol as No. 1
with that in the back of my mind I'd be trying to keep Chol's headspace good
he can be played as a tall forward / ruck
he is a good set shot
he's better than most talls at ground level

with Balta pinch hitting in the ruck , I dont think he's any better at the craft than Chol
BUT he has been clunking some seriously good marks

with Astbury/ KMac as a second ruck , I think the AFL world is ready for it now and the good teams would hurt us

Nank / Chol 1st preference

but not unhappy with

Astbury down back and Nank / Balta sharing the ruck

Watching the video on Richmond site re. the scratch match v The Cats, maybe it was the editing but Chol really looked like he dominated.
Reckon with Soldo now out until 2022, Mabior might cruise right past him and end up teaming with CCJ.

Roachy8 likes this. :thumbsu:
I'm hoping Soldo might be available late in the 2021 season - ACLs can be 8-9 months now

I like both Chol or CCJ as long-term forward / ruck prospects, but I'm yet to see the required competitiveness for the centre square. You don't get away with standing and watching the umpires bounce many times before the oppo start taking advantage. Those two have some work to do before they even get considered for a game against good opposition.
I thought CCJ was more ruck that can pinch hit up forward? Chol the other way around

Looking at the Ruck situation i really believe we need a one year cheap cover until Soldo comes back. This would then allow us to target needs like inside mids which I am sure Richmond FC has been focusing on. Hence lets not change all are planning but rather just get a ruck man to cover big Ivan for one year.
Kruezer i believe is the answer, we know he has injury problems but with a little bit of luck he can put together one season. He would not cost much and with his relationship with our Captain, I think is get able. And to be honest his best football is still good enough to help us next year. A little bit of a risk but will not cost us much and stiil keep our Ruck stocks competitive for the 2021 season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at the Ruck situation i really believe we need a one year cheap cover until Soldo comes back. This would then allow us to target needs like inside mids which I am sure Richmond FC has been focusing on. Hence lets not change all are planning but rather just get a ruck man to cover big Ivan for one year.
Kruezer i believe is the answer, we know he has injury problems but with a little bit of luck he can put together one season. He would not cost much and with his relationship with our Captain, I think is get able. And to be honest his best football is still good enough to help us next year. A little bit of a risk but will not cost us much and stiil keep our Ruck stocks competitive for the 2021 season.
I'd prefer to back CCJ and see what he's made of in 2021. I'm hoping he'd be pretty keen to make amends - if he's not fired up after what he's done then we've found out he's not right for the job and trade out - he'd still get a big price for a young ruck/forward. Then in 2022 we still have 2 good ruckmen at their peak (Soldos only 24 and nanks 26) with an eye in the draft for a tall forward/ruck in case Chol doesn't work out and when JR retires

Keep CJ and we're OK.

We're doing pretty well compared to most teams. I'd reckon that we'll go as is, with Soldo unlikely ot play in 2020.

Cheap cover seems a bit useless unless CJ leaves.

On the assumption CCJ goes, I actually don't mind this idea.

Only needs to play the games Chol is rested for or if he is a better match up.

So reduced load, good back up, chance for him to play finals.

Aside from that we need to sign Nank ASAP

Imagine he gets poached and we have no Soldo till 2022 either.

Kreuzer retired.

On the assumption CCJ goes, I actually don't mind this idea.

Only needs to play the games Chol is rested for or if he is a better match up.

So reduced load, good back up, chance for him to play finals.

Aside from that we need to sign Nank ASAP

Imagine he gets poached and we have no Soldo till 2022 either.
I cant see CCJ going - pretty sure he has another year on contract and RFC need him now so I don't think they'd be willing to trade

Kreuzer retired.
He might have retired but it does not mean he cannot change his mind, and what better incentive would he need to change his mind about retirement. Richmond the reigning Premiers offering him a one year contract and the possibility of playing finals, possibility of playing and winning 2021 Grand Final, not to mention playing one year with his bet friend and Richmond Captain Trent Cotchin. Now that would be hard to knock back, unless his body is completely shot.

I think we have 3 options. Not sure what the right option is but think we will go with option 1 or 3.

Option 1
- Keep Nank
- Keep CJ
- Don’t bring anyone else in and hope that Nank doesn’t get injured leaving Chol to be the man until CJs suspension is over.

Option 2
- Keep Nank
- Keep CJ
- Bring in someone cheap as backup for if Nank got injured early in the year. This probably seems a bit too safe.

Option 3
- Keep Nank
- Trade CJ (If the deal is good)
- Bring in someone in as back up for 1 year knowing Soldo will be back in 2022 and Mate will have a year of development under his belt.

I think we have 3 options. Not sure what the right option is but think we will go with option 1 or 3.

Option 1
- Keep Nank
- Keep CJ
- Don’t bring anyone else in and hope that Nank doesn’t get injured leaving Chol to be the man until CJs suspension is over.

Option 2
- Keep Nank
- Keep CJ
- Bring in someone cheap as backup for if Nank got injured early in the year. This probably seems a bit too safe.

Option 3
- Keep Nank
- Trade CJ (If the deal is good)
- Bring in someone in as back up for 1 year knowing Soldo will be back in 2022 and Mate will have a year of development under his belt.

Option 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back