Autopsy Rd 17 Blues lose to the bottom side after awful first half

Who played well in Round 17 vs the Crows?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Or McKay now playing on every time he marks dead in front.
FWIW remember when we were being assured on this sight that McKay's 26.30 from last year was down to his groin complaint throwing of his kicking and he would get back to his 21.11 form. Its 18.15 (plus numerous no scores) this year.

Perhaps the groin issue created a mental issue?

We have a right to be disappointed that we choked when a chance to pinch a finals spot was there for the taking..

But in reality its not just this game that cost us... it was not getting across the line against GWS who have shown are mentally weak, dropping the game to Melbourne, falling in a heap against the Hawks..

What would have been interesting is that the teams we were scheduled to play twice, Richmond, Essendon, Dogs, North, Stkilda & Sydney...

We lose to Richmond no doubt about that.. But we have matched up well against the dogs the last few outings so i would go in confident with that... We beat Essendon, North & Sydney and are 50/50 against the Saints. We would finish on 11 wins and be touch and go for finals...

We lay down

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Nah we retire to the study to formulate a plan, generally it only takes us a quarter or so to come up with one. ;)

It is one of our strengths that Teague can usually engineer a significant momentum shift that gets us back into the game, we simply have to get better at absorbing pressure to limit the damage while we aren't in control and having on field leaders being able to engineer a momentum shift to reduce the time we aren't in control.

No, that's the conclusion you have come too

How are you mentally weak one 1 qtr, then mentally strong for another 3

Because you're not mentally strong for 3 quarters, unless that's enough to smash the opposition and your off quarter is irrelevant.
It's the weak quarter that show's you're mentally weak, the inability to perform consistently.

You described my short lived footy career! Never threw the first shot, always threw the last and always the one that got pinged for it!!
I'm giving you 4 weeks for that retaliatory response.

Because you're not mentally strong for 3 quarters, unless that's enough to smash the opposition and your off quarter is irrelevant.
It's the weak quarter that show's you're mentally weak, the inability to perform consistently.

It is also possible that you are "mentally weak" (really don't like that term regarding professional athletes who sacrifice far more than we know) or overly anxious when the game is on the line but once it gets to being 7 goals down you change your mindset because there is only upside.

It could also be true that once we get to 7 goals down we have to change our style into something more aggressive which suits us better? Or perhaps getting to 7 goals down simplifies the game plan - players don't second guess themselves and simply take the first option?

The fact is none of us know why these things happen because we are too far removed - what we do know is that it has happened far too often and we have 6 months to work it out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What if people see a pattern? What if what happens in the current game reflects decisions made over a long period?

Also, who the f&ck are you to tell people what they can and can't vent over? Now calling players losers or getting overly personal, yep totally out of bounds. Saying die blues die - I am with you flog off and support Richmond. But people are allowed to call out what they see is decision making/approaches that are reflected in both the current game and the club's conduct over a long period of time.

Need a Snickers?

Deflecting? Being consistent with structures etc. takes focus and discipline (i.e. mental strength).

The fact that we’re capable at times yet falter in big moments suggests a mental frailty.

Big moments?

Like coming back against the Dockers, Dons, Swans?

We are a mid table side in the 5th year of a rebuild. Our results, competitiveness, inconsistency, is similar to other rebuilding sides such as the Saints and Lions.

Immaturity? Certainly. Building continuity in the list and gameplan, Absolutely.

Mentally weak? I don't believe so

If we were losing all our close games, I would reconsider your concern, until then, I would focus on other areas

Phew it's been a long season (although it hasn't really)....lots of disappointments but also lots of improvement .....every game this year after the restart I felt confident we could win or at least perform well, not like the last couple of years (bar the last few games last year) when I just expected a belting and we got them.....OK we dropped some we shouldn't have but we never got belted like previous years....another pre-season and some bolstering of the midfield over the summer and we'll be better again next year...just you wait and see...

Like coming back against the Dockers, Dons, Swans?

We are a mid table side in the 5th year of a rebuild. Our results, competitiveness, inconsistency, is similar to other rebuilding sides such as the Saints and Lions.

Immaturity? Certainly. Building continuity in the list and gameplan, Absolutely.

Mentally weak? I don't believe so

If we were losing all our close games, I would reconsider your concern, until then, I would focus on other areas
Is this another 15 page argument that boils down to differing definitions of a word?

Phew it's been a long season (although it hasn't really)....lots of disappointments but also lots of improvement .....every game this year after the restart I felt confident we could win or at least perform well, not like the last couple of years (bar the last few games last year) when I just expected a belting and we got them.....OK we dropped some we shouldn't have but we never got belted like previous years....another pre-season and some bolstering of the midfield over the summer and we'll be better again next year...just you wait and see...
If you had offered 7 wins and a percentage of 96% from 17 games at the start of the year I would have taken it, the fact that looking back at some of the games we dropped means where we are seems slightly disappointing is a good thing.

We are definitely making progress, we just need to find our Lachie Neale.

Back