2020 FA, Draft and Trade HYPOTHETICAL thread...now with new DFA speculation!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to move one of Mitchel/Gunston and Bruest to upgrade our pick 21 into another 1st rounder if we can. Heath Champan/Zach Reid and Nic Cox appeal to me with that mid first round pic.

We just need to be honest with our premiership stars and let them know we are looking to the future and that we will be bringing a lot of kids in as we look to rebuild. Perhaps we can move on of them on to chase more premiership glory with another club, while also helping them transition into life after football when they retire.

Communication is the key here, as we don't want to just push players out.

Improving our draft position with each draft should be our goal, along with keeping an eye out for a bargain trade like we did with Scrimshaw and Impey with one of our later picks. Just need balance it out, as we need some experience to help provide guidance to the new kids that we bring in.
Sorry are you suggesting trading out a brownlow medalist and the most consistent small forward in the league over the last 10 years to move our 2nd pick, up 3 spaces to become a first rounder? I hope you at least want to move up 7 spaces to at least get value on what we paid for Mitchell. :rolleyes:

I would like to move one of Mitchel/Gunston and Bruest to upgrade our pick 21 into another 1st rounder if we can. Heath Champan/Zach Reid and Nic Cox appeal to me with that mid first round pic.

We just need to be honest with our premiership stars and let them know we are looking to the future and that we will be bringing a lot of kids in as we look to rebuild. Perhaps we can move on of them on to chase more premiership glory with another club, while also helping them transition into life after football when they retire.

Communication is the key here, as we don't want to just push players out.

Improving our draft position with each draft should be our goal, along with keeping an eye out for a bargain trade like we did with Scrimshaw and Impey with one of our later picks. Just need balance it out, as we need some experience to help provide guidance to the new kids that we bring in.
After reading that - I think you are a Double Agent.

Sorry are you suggesting trading out a brownlow medalist and the most consistent small forward in the league over the last 10 years to move our 2nd pick, up 3 spaces to become a first rounder? I hope you at least want to move up 7 spaces to at least get value on what we paid for Mitchell. :rolleyes:
Nah I meant one of those. Not 2 of them. Sorry I probably should have made it clearer.

The devil is in the details, depending on the player and the club. We obviously want to get the best value for one of those players trade wise. The goal would be get another top 10 pick if we can.

Gunston to Brisbane might be most likely scenario. There is a lot to play out though.

Just as much as we need to improve the age profile, we badly need to improve the culture and leadership.

Our best leaders are Gunston, McEvoy, Smith, JOM and Silk. 3 of those will be gone in 2022 and It’s unfair to expect JOM to do it alone.

The captaincy of Stratton has been a disaster. To me we really need to keep Gunston & Breust (unless they want out) as our FWD line is a joke and to rebuild it we need Gunston & Breust showing the way.

You don’t need to sell the farm for draft picks to rebuild. Port certainly didn’t. Recruit smartly in trades, draft & FA which we have plenty of cash.

Don’t forget guys like Vandenberg, Joel Smith, Dixon, Crawf were all incredibly important for the hawks core of our premierships. You don’t want leaders that are on their last legs, you want leaders to develop the next batch over a 3-4 year period. This is where Gunston, Breust and Smith will be vital.

Also regarding Mitchell next year is a big year for him, no point trading him now but he needs to make it work with Worpel. JOM should be moved to HFF and put speed around them. Then if they can’t work together Mitchell should be moved on if he can’t replicate the form showed in 16/17/18.

Just as much as we need to improve the age profile, we badly need to improve the culture and leadership.

Our best leaders are Gunston, McEvoy, Smith, JOM and Silk. 3 of those will be gone in 2022 and It’s unfair to expect JOM to do it alone.

The captaincy of Stratton has been a disaster. To me we really need to keep Gunston & Breust (unless they want out) as our FWD line is a joke and to rebuild it we need Gunston & Breust showing the way.

You don’t need to sell the farm for draft picks to rebuild. Port certainly didn’t. Recruit smartly in trades, draft & FA which we have plenty of cash.

Don’t forget guys like Vandenberg, Joel Smith, Dixon, Crawf were all incredibly important for the hawks core of our premierships. You don’t want leaders that are on their last legs, you want leaders to develop the next batch over a 3-4 year period. This is where Gunston, Breust and Smith will be vital.

Also regarding Mitchell next year is a big year for him, no point trading him now but he needs to make it work with Worpel. JOM should be moved to HFF and put speed around them. Then if they can’t work together Mitchell should be moved on if he can’t replicate the form showed in 16/17/18.
I essentially agree with this but with two caveats:

1. If one of those guys wants to leave, we should get ourselves a good deal. We don’t want them turning around in 1-2 years and asking to leave. Now is the time to commit to the rebuild or explore elsewhere

2. If a club comes knocking with a seriously good deal for one (over market rate), we should be open to it.

Im changing my thinking, Bruest/Gunners to stay. Shop both JOM, Mitch, they won't take us to success. If it means we take a step back to go forward so be it. Id even get off their contracts for a early second. Mids needs a major overhaul. Our fwds/backs would look completely different. No FWD in the comp would do well with Mitch/JOM/Shiels snapping it 15 m over their shoulder into the FWD 50 every time. Offer JOM for freo's first rounder, they might bite

I strongly disagree re Mitchell/O'Meara. Inside mids regularly play till that are 33 years old. That gives us 6 seasons to get it right. Where I can understand Bruest/Gunston if we have to let some guns go. They really only have 3/4 years left in them (unless they have Burgoynes secret sauce).

They also have 2 distinct suiters.
Group A those in there premiership window that have a need for that type, this is your Geelong, Brisbane and Collingwoods ect...
Group B are those with a promising core of under 23 year Olds that are ready to take the next step into finals but need some proven performers who can instill the winning culture into them, this is what Brisbane has been doing and why clubs like Carlton, Saints, Melbourne may be interested.

Collingwood is an interesting fit for a trade partner for Hawthorn. They would probably highly value being able to have a pick before McInnes is bid on while also being able to match for him.

What's the value to Collingwood of upgrading their first pick to Hawthorn's and bringing in North's second round pick (which Hawthorn hold) allowing them to also match for McInness?

Surely it would be along the lines of their first next year + Stephenson +

I feel like it serves them better then it serves us but I'd want to do a deal before the Collingwood one, say swap 3 and 5 with Freo then consider swapping to Collingwoods 13.

We would want really good value out of it though from both Freo and Collingwood.

Also id only consider it if we aren't going to pick Hollands if available. Trading down means we could maybe grab O'Driscoll or any of the KPP if they slide.

If we were keen on Saad could we do a side deal with North to get him through pre season draft or is that tampering. Let’s face it both clubs hate Dodo. We get late picks and give North pick 21. We use pick 3, get Saad thru PSD and get Downie with later picks plus have extra picks for any hidden gems

If we were keen on Saad could we do a side deal with North to get him through pre season draft or is that tampering. Let’s face it both clubs hate Dodo. We get late picks and give North pick 21. We use pick 3, get Saad thru PSD and get Downie with later picks plus have extra picks for any hidden gems
Funny thing is that pick 21 was originally Norths 😂

Anyways in this scenario you are assuming the Crows don't take Saad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tbh I couldn't see Adelaide or NM picking him up based on where their lists are. Which probably leaves us in the pre-season draft but funnier things have happened.

NM list would appear to be in a far worse position than ours from their B&F last year top ten, only Dumont will be under 28 next year. That's a cliff that's toppling over real fast, they really need to invest in the draft for a couple of years. We at least had 5 under 28 (fair argument if Mitchell played 6) and those 5 under 28 were in our top 6 in the B&F.

Tbh I couldn't see Adelaide or NM picking him up based on where their lists are. Which probably leaves us in the pre-season draft but funnier things have happened.

NM list would appear to be in a far worse position than ours from their B&F last year top ten, only Dumont will be under 28 next year. That's a cliff that's toppling over real fast, they really need to invest in the draft for a couple of years. We at least had 5 under 28 (fair argument if Mitchell played 6) and those 5 under 28 were in our top 6 in the B&F.
North are trying to get any free agents they can - big offers in for Williams and Corr, of course they would take a free hit at Saad.

Im changing my thinking, Bruest/Gunners to stay. Shop both JOM, Mitch, they won't take us to success. If it means we take a step back to go forward so be it. Id even get off their contracts for a early second. Mids needs a major overhaul. Our fwds/backs would look completely different. No FWD in the comp would do well with Mitch/JOM/Shiels snapping it 15 m over their shoulder into the FWD 50 every time. Offer JOM for freo's first rounder, they might bite
They aren’t on mega deals they are quality forget this year Tom Mitchell and omeara will be very good players sooner rather than later.

He was Pick 1 in 2017. Just goes to show, top 5 draft picks are not everything and take time if you rely on 1-2 players each year to fill up 7-8 spots. We argue so much who to get with our first pick, if could pick up less risky player and still have a later draft pick let the better. If Bruest/Gunston want out and are on the decline, only have 2-3 good years left, cannot be part of our next premiership, make sense. Probably only a rumour so far. We already have 2 top 1 picks in Paton/Scully, we got both cheaply.
I know it’s seems we are 5 years away from a flag tilt but it doesn’t work that way in 10 months we could be top 4.Not saying we will be but you can’t just move players on in a knee jerk reaction then you’ll never succeed.

I know it’s seems we are 5 years away from a flag tilt but it doesn’t work that way in 10 months we could be top 4.Not saying we will be but you can’t just move players on in a knee jerk reaction then you’ll never succeed.
Tigers went from bottom 4 to flag in 1 season... it can be done

Why stop there with trading Mitchell and o’meara ? Let’s trade worpel Breust Gunston day Scrimshaw as well

North are trying to get any free agents they can - big offers in for Williams and Corr, of course they would take a free hit at Saad.

Didn't they go all out Kelly, then settled for Polec/Pittard, it hasn't served them well. If Saad was 24 perhaps or under you could mount a fair case. At 26 is he in their timeframe? If they get Williams perhaps they can delude themselves but by himself I'd think definitely not.

It's basically going after 2 HBF at 26+ again to replace the the 2 HBF 26+, they recruited 2 years ago.

I'm not saying they won't do it. Should they for where they are at no. They are in a far worse position than 2 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back