Review Round 17, 2020 - Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I the only one that thinks while Oscar has improved his ruckwork is still average and really holding him back? Not a top 10 ruck in the league and it's an issue if he can't ruck more than 80% of the game.

Hinge was getting caught in the games last year, a split second before getting his kick away etc. He had much better awareness last night and disposal really good too. Definite step up from last year's version, hope we keep him.

Am I the only one that thinks while Oscar has improved his ruckwork is still average and really holding him back? Not a top 10 ruck in the league and it's an issue if he can't ruck more than 80% of the game.
I sort of agree Jackess but he's a mile better than what he was and where he has really improved is following up by winning or impacting the clearance . He seems to have picked up an extra yard of pace from somewhere and is also able to make contests all over the ground. Almost a midfielder.

We have to remember that he's always been second fiddle in the ruck and I think he'll get the hang of it over time with more work ,like he has with everything else.

He was thrown to the wolves when Stef went down and has really exceeded everyone's expectations . Like you though I'd love to see Stef back for the finals and next year as well.

Yes, I have said all year, that we should not be locked into the same 22-24 each week. The young guys should get the odd game based on pre season and ressie form. Not gifted AFL games, but rewarded for their form, otherwise the good 'backup' players will leave. They may even be better than the regulars, depending on the opposition.

Hinge is one of these, and like a few others offers something. I must admit, although I watched every game of NEAFL last year did not pick Coleman for this year, but he has been exciting. He has definitely stepped up, is composed and I see a bright future. Payne has performed well in a key role and offers pace in the backline for a big bloke. In the wet conditions last night played a close marking game on Reid. I think he offers a lot and hope from next year he is a regular.
I think Ely Smith and WOOLLER deserved a chance earlier in the year, to play a game or two for experience. IMO this is how you build depth and cover for injuries. I still think with a huge preseason and some further ruck coaching Ballenden could be a good player or at least a fine 'backup'
Look at Adelaide the past month once they decided to play some of the young guys. Just my opinion, I am no expert, but like this site because we can all openly express our views in a congenial forum.
We’ve had 35 players this year which is the same as last year.

How do you reward players for form when they’re playing starch matches and we are 13-3 for the year?

to play one of the kids you have to drop a senior player, the easy part is to say play them but then who do you drop? People wanted skinner and ballendean to play but both were okay at best so whose to say Woolley/Smith would do a better job.

adelaide are dead last and have been big average all year so hardly a reasonable comparison.

Not sure the traditional ruckman exists anymore or need to if we are honest. Probably only a couple in the comp who would fit the bill like Gawn and Ryder

Steph plays more like an extra midfield, Grundy is much the same. Teams have lost hits outs by the dozens but still dominate the game.

Think it was Leigh Matthews who thought hit outs were over rated. (

If Oscar can keep improving at the current rate I think we’d be happy. I think a big pre season focused on his ruck work vs thinking he’d play 50/50 ruck and forward will do wonders

Not sure the traditional ruckman exists anymore or need to if we are honest. Probably only a couple in the comp who would fit the bill like Gawn and Ryder

Steph plays more like an extra midfield, Grundy is much the same. Teams have lost hits outs by the dozens but still dominate the game.

Think it was Leigh Matthews who thought hit outs were over rated. (

If Oscar can keep improving at the current rate I think we’d be happy. I think a big pre season focused on his ruck work vs thinking he’d play 50/50 ruck and forward will do wonders
Couldn't agree with you and Lethal more Brett, hit out stats are to put it bluntly horseshit, I have yet to see a ruckman dominate Oscar this season, his follow up work around stoppages is elite, great 1 percenters also. Re clear hit outs to advantage (which is a useful stat) I think the Big O would have a handful against him this year.

I agree with all the work mids put on each other not always a clean hit from ruck to mid on the same team.
someone like Nic Nat is a great ruck. Gawn and Grundy do a lot around the ground.

You dont need rucks to win hitters anymore you just need them to provide a contest. If they get the hitout and it lands in a midfielders lap, great, but usually it either gets sharked or goes into a contested position.

You dont need rucks to win hitters anymore you just need them to provide a contest. If they get the hitout and it lands in a midfielders lap, great, but usually it either gets sharked or goes into a contested position.

He doesn't provide much at ground level though.

Yeah I don't agree with this. He's not a dominant ruck in rock contests, but typically doesn't get beaten (more of a neutralising ruck). Where he's starting to shine is the follow up at ground level. He's getting clearances and defensively following up really well. His pressure acts for a ruck are elite - he averages more than Gawn and Grundy per game.

Now that he's adding clearances to his game (averaging 5 clearances a game the past three games), he's starting to beat his opponents. If he's neutralising the ruck contest, winning clearances and applying pressure when the ball spills to the ground, he's certainly doing more than enough at ground level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fairly hard to win the ruck ,win clearances, do work around the ground , get back to help your defence out and mark impact/kick goals up forward.

Who does that ? Of all those things the least important is winning the ruck as long as you're providing a contest.

Yes, I have said all year, that we should not be locked into the same 22-24 each week. The young guys should get the odd game based on pre season and ressie form. Not gifted AFL games, but rewarded for their form, otherwise the good 'backup' players will leave. They may even be better than the regulars, depending on the opposition.

Hinge is one of these, and like a few others offers something. I must admit, although I watched every game of NEAFL last year did not pick Coleman for this year, but he has been exciting. He has definitely stepped up, is composed and I see a bright future. Payne has performed well in a key role and offers pace in the backline for a big bloke. In the wet conditions last night played a close marking game on Reid. I think he offers a lot and hope from next year he is a regular.
I think Ely Smith and WOOLLER deserved a chance earlier in the year, to play a game or two for experience. IMO this is how you build depth and cover for injuries. I still think with a huge preseason and some further ruck coaching Ballenden could be a good player or at least a fine 'backup'
Look at Adelaide the past month once they decided to play some of the young guys. Just my opinion, I am no expert, but like this site because we can all openly express our views in a congenial forum.

Adelaide have won 3 games and we’ve won 13.

His ground level work is outstanding, IIRC he often gets the ball in a low contested situation and hand balls it out to advantage, grabs it and kicks it forward, some don't get a stat eg. slaps forward. He's also provides good sheparding and blocking in close.

Overall jack I think you are underrating Oscar and overrating Archie.

That's a bit stiff, he was relied on often to get the clearance kick out of the backline just so our boys could make a contest and try to get a stoppage in the middle. Wasn't a clean night for anyone. I actually had him in my best for his shutdown work and ability to clear the ball.
He has that rare commodity - pace off the mark. And relishes tackling.

Pet hate of mine... This is not the rule. Prior opportunity DOES apply to illegal disposal calls. Commentators say it all the time, and they are wrong. Illegal disposal is simply an extension of holding the ball.

From the laws of the game:
The way the term ‘interpretation’ has crept into the vernacular across officialdom and the fact that AFL Media has allowed it to fester has largely made the rule book a guiding tool only. The game has pretty clear rules which should end the possibility for Hawthorn coaches to influence interpretation of a rule in a given week, or allow people named Robinson to lose their head each week, but this is 2020 and it’s ok to blow the wrong call because everything can be justified by interpretation. There’s always a bit of umpire bashing, but this year supporters of all clubs seem to be screaming in unison for some sort of quality check which, unfortunately, will never happen.

Actually thinking about Coleman‘s game I thought of the Krakouers As a comparison. Similar ability to find time and space. Burst of speed that looks effortless. much stronger than they appeared. Thanks for posting their highlights.
Phil - dancing and weaving. Jimmy - cruising and crashing in. Lived in North Melbourne when they arrived - filled the ground. Got heaps of racist stick - became really unpleasant. Anyway .. Kid Coleman seems to have a few tricks and some shapeshifting. Gotta love that ..

Back