Autopsy Round 17 Swans Vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Apology to McR and any others but I am fixated on several parts of our team.

If a 3rd defender comes over the top he has to kill the ball but unfortunately it didn't.

The game is close and both of our forwards being Reid and Aliir/Amartey and they had beaten their defenders but, in my view, they spoiled each other.

By making the gritty Wicks (181cm 78 kg, 7 games) our forward target against Darcy Gardiner (192cm, 90kg, 122 games) does my head in.

Their may be reasons why this occurs but it happens too much.

The worst one was kicking to Florent against Rance, Grimes and I think Astbury on the wing in Rance's last year, 2018 (edited)

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

If a 3rd defender comes over the top he has to kill the ball but unfortunately it didn't.

The game is close and both of our forwards being Reid and Aliir/Amartey and they had beaten their defenders but, in my view, they spoiled each other.

By making the gritty Wicks (181cm 78 kg, 7 games) our forward target against Darcy Gardiner (192cm, 90kg, 122 games) does my head in.

The worst one was kicking to Florent against Rance, Grimes and I think Astbury on the wing last year.

Fixated , not common on here lol

The worst one was kicking to Florent against Rance, Grimes and I think Astbury on the wing last year.

Reid didn't have a good game but to be fair, it was a hard night for a solo tall forward. Not only was it wet and windy but there was no connection with the midfield. The delivery was awful, which was why Paps was blowing his rag, and the resting ruckmen, Aliir & Amartey, were dragging their defenders into the contest. Contested marking in wet windy conditions is hard enough without extra defenders peeling off their men to help spoil. The first mark inside 50 that Reid managed to hold was against two defenders, with two more defenders around him and another pushed in by Parker. It was a horrible up and under from the boot of LLoyd which drifted in the wind, typical of the quality of inside 50s.

sam reid.jpg

I agree he could still be a solid forward, but he's actually looked more than solid in defence. He was pretty much BOG in the second half against Port, against an opponent in Dixon that very few defenders in the competition have had much success in beating.

The reality is that until we clean up our midfield and start getting more, and better quality, inside 50s, McCartin will be languishing as a forward, getting out-numbered, going long periods of the game without seeing it, and only getting a few chances to show what he can do every game. Why waste a good tall player when he could be shining in a role that we really need someone in?

If we can settle on McCartin in defence that gives us a lot more clarity going forward and we can lock in that young developing back group and focus on the other end of the ground come draft and trade time.
I’d like to see him settle at CHB.

Last thing we want: a Reid-style “swingman”.

Overall I thought it was was a pretty good effort by all. The young guys craked in, Kennedy and Parker dominated the middle. Armity showed enough but might have found the pace hard as the game went on. As for Reid he did his job. Very wet night got to contests and brought the ball to ground. Cunningham was great down back along with Mills. In the last few weeks the backline is starting to jell even without Rampe. They have leant the system as the year has gone on. Positives is what I have seen over the past few weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

double edge sword with mccartin tbh

hes a pretty good defender, but damn throughout this season, you could tell he improved his goal kicking 10-fold. his accuracy for goal was fantastic and we do struggle to kick a winning score

double edge sword with mccartin tbh

hes a pretty good defender, but damn throughout this season, you could tell he improved his goal kicking 10-fold. his accuracy for goal was fantastic and we do struggle to kick a winning score

Its not a double edge sword when you look at it deeper, he is best suited as a defender moving forward.

He has played 46 games and only kicked 28 goals across his first 3 seasons so far. To compare him to everyones favourite punching bag Sam Reid in the same three year period has kicked 34 goals from 31 matches (and Sam in his first 46 games kicked 54 goals). If people think Sam hasn't lived up to expectations or is not worth having on our list, then leaving Tom forward is just asking to repeat history and the same tired arguments within a few years.

His goal kicking accuracy has to be acknowledged as something that he has improved since joining the club, but Tom doesn't hit the scoreboard enough by any measure (He has kicked a goal in only 21 of matches that he has played and only kicked multiple goals in a match 5 times.) to suggest that he is the long term answer for us as a forward. He averages a goal every second match and multiple goals in a match every 9th game, this is not playing Tom to his strength and we struggle enough as it is when he plays forward, so removing him and playing him as a defender isn't going to make that a bigger issue than it already is.

When he has played in defence he has shown that he is more than capable of being an above average defender due to his marking ability, his reading of the play and ability to play man on man. Give him more time with our defensive group and we'll get the best out of him and that could result in him becoming on of the better tall defenders in the league.

Its not a double edge sword when you look at it deeper, he is best suited as a defender moving forward.

He has played 46 games and only kicked 28 goals across his first 3 seasons so far. To compare him to everyones favourite punching bag Sam Reid in the same three year period has kicked 34 goals from 31 matches (and Sam in his first 46 games kicked 54 goals). If people think Sam hasn't lived up to expectations or is not worth having on our list, then leaving Tom forward is just asking to repeat history and the same tired arguments within a few years.

His goal kicking accuracy has to be acknowledged as something that he has improved since joining the club, but Tom doesn't hit the scoreboard enough by any measure (He has kicked a goal in only 21 of matches that he has played and only kicked multiple goals in a match 5 times.) to suggest that he is the long term answer for us as a forward. He averages a goal every second match and multiple goals in a match every 9th game, this is not playing Tom to his strength and we struggle enough as it is when he plays forward, so removing him and playing him as a defender isn't going to make that a bigger issue than it already is.

When he has played in defence he has shown that he is more than capable of being an above average defender due to his marking ability, his reading of the play and ability to play man on man. Give him more time with our defensive group and we'll get the best out of him and that could result in him becoming on of the better tall defenders in the league.
Agree 100%. He is a backman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back