List Mgmt. Welcome to Hawthorn Damon Greaves - pick 14, 2018 rookie draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought he started poorly yesterday but bounced back really well after half time (bit like the team really). But was impressed again by him, good signs.

He's quite vocal, good at directing players for defensive setups and a surprisingly raking kick. I thought he played well on Wallis yesterday and saw a lot of him from the 2nd row in from the fence.
With our shortcomings in defence yesterday, he was often overlooked as the easy out along the boundary line when more experienced players were trusted in the same position. With more trust in him, he'll be used more as he has some nice and required skills for that part of the ground. A few more kgs from the gym over the off season and he'll keep his place. He looked pretty good and although only able to see the action from flank/pocket, better than what I've seen from CJ these 4 games in Adelaide and Harry yesterday and on TV throughout the season.

With Stratton retiring, Sicily out for next year and Day likely to play on the wing, Greaves is a lock for a spot in defence come Round 1 next year.
Clarkson is also interested in playing Hardwick and impy forward. And glass is either going to be cut or given another chance as a midfielder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I liked what he showed at AFL level last year. Unfortunately for him he plays the one position we are really well stocked with Scrimshaw, Day, CJ, Impey, Hardwick ahead of him. Hopefully this allows Scrimshaw, Impey and CJ to play further afield for a few weeks and Greaves takes his opportunity, like he did last year.

I liked what he showed at AFL level last year. Unfortunately for him he plays the one position we are really well stocked with Scrimshaw, Day, CJ, Impey, Hardwick ahead of him. Hopefully this allows Scrimshaw, Impey and CJ to play further afield for a few weeks and Greaves takes his opportunity, like he did last year.
Feel the same way, but he's pretty different to all those players. So its a team selection as to what we want.

1. He's a much better defender than Scrimshaw, but not as good going forward. But playing Greaves would allow Scrim to move up forward.
2. Better defender than Impey, but lacks his speed.
3. Better defensively than CJ, lacks his speed too. Playing Greaves may aleve some of CJs defensive issues and allow him to use his strengths.
4. Day is just a gun, but i'd prefer to see him up the ground. So playing Greaves could allow that.

You're it mate, since Howe didn't come back in or Cegs or Tobby or ........................

...........................Damn Shiels is still in, so is Ollie, so you should be right from scapegoat pole position, for a few weeks at least :cool:

...........................Damn Shiels is still in, so is Ollie, so you should be right from scapegoat pole position, for a few weeks at least :cool:
There's only a certain number of people here who actually perceive Liam Shiels as a whipping boy. I'm of the opinion they don't have the slightest clue what they're talking about. He is one the of the hardest working players in AFL history (look at the all-time tackle records).

He may be on the wrong side of 30 going into a rebuild, but to act like he is some plodder is just insulting to me.

There's only a certain number of people here who actually perceive Liam Shiels as a whipping boy. I'm of the opinion they don't have the slightest clue what they're talking about. He is one the of the hardest working players in AFL history (look at the all-time tackle records).

He may be on the wrong side of 30 going into a rebuild, but to act like he is some plodder is just insulting to me.
I love the bloke and his been a warrior but his first to go for him, his been okay with some poor decision making and mistakes but the whole mids have.

He is just impacting us playing others their to develop - we have one of the most senior mids in the league and the worst, they are horrid together. He needs to go and then mitchell, we can literally do no worst then what we have dished up.

Midfield has now been an issue for every game, unfortunately he needs to be first gone

I love the bloke and his been a warrior but his first to go for him, his been okay with some poor decision making and mistakes but the whole mids have.

He is just impacting us playing others their to develop - we have one of the most senior mids in the league and the worst, they are horrid together. He needs to go and then mitchell, we can literally do no worst then what we have dished up.

Midfield has now been an issue for every game, unfortunately he needs to be first gone
Look more closely and they've already addressed it. Shiels is not playing on-ball anymore. He's playing wing, half forward and holding up his end by tackling and pressuring the house down. Has made one or two mistakes by foot, no big deal.

Shiels perhaps should be dropped in favour of a younger player, but nobody should be under the impression that he's the reason we're losing.

Look more closely and they've already addressed it. Shiels is not playing on-ball anymore. He's playing wing, half forward and holding up his end by tackling and pressuring the house down. Has made one or two mistakes by foot, no big deal.

Shiels perhaps should be dropped in favour of a younger player, but nobody should be under the impression that he's the reason we're losing.
Whoever said he is the reason ?

What a typical foolish thing for you to say to sensationalize something. Esp straight after saying in the very same sentence he should perhaps be dropped for a younger player - your first post was how to try and gain likes hey, by saying one thing about a persons post but in the very next post to someone else admitting exactly what the 1st person said. It's farcical mate.

So, just whatever, I've read your stuff; I don't have you on follow like you do me - enjoy.

Whoever said he is the reason ?

What a typical foolish thing for you to say to sensationalize something. Esp straight after saying in the very same sentence he should perhaps be dropped for a younger player - your first post was how to try and gain likes hey, by saying one thing about a persons post but in the very next post to someone else admitting exactly what the 1st person said. It's farcical mate.

So, just whatever, I've read your stuff; I don't have you on follow like you do me - enjoy.
You literally said he and Ollie were the scapegoats.

I don't follow you, I don't have a problem with you. I don't defend players to get likes. I defend players from stuff said about them that isn't true, and I defend them when people disrespect them.

Shiels will probably need to be phased out of this team over the next little while for the good of the rebuild. But if you hold the view that we won't notice his loss because he's just some whipping boy in a category with O'Brien and Hanrahan, I'd say you're so far off the mark it's really not funny.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back