ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
Just out of interest, which are the four WAFL clubs you think were well-supported in the 70s? I would include West Perth, East Perth and South Freo.
I’d say South Freo, Swan Districts, East Freo and prob West Perth over East Perth. I dunno - Claremont maybe? Not sure which 4 it would have been. I though they were all fairly well supported in the 70s, except maybe Subi, who were the perennial cellar-dwellers. 🤷🏻‍♀️

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
This could work, in my opinion, in a Port Adelaide kind of way. Existing Swan Districts fans would rally to the cause and existing fans who don't attend WAFL games would emerge out of the woodwork. They have an existing identity and territory and are far from the other two AFL clubs.
Great - another team for Eddie to Chuck all his toys out the cot over. Problematic - couldn’t use their jumper or their nickname.
Edit: just realised you’re a Pies supporter. Didn’t mean to diss your club - but Eddie is a dick, and jumper and nickname are legit problems.

Apr 22, 2010
Martin
AFL Club
Fremantle
A South West based club if they did a third would be awesome. Get it out of Perth and regionally based, like Geelong is to Melbourne. Immediate supporter base as Bunbury/Busselton/Margs/Harvey/Collie would all get on board and a city vs country rivalry with the ‘Perth’ teams.

Would never happen though.

May 11, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
A South West based club if they did a third would be awesome. Get it out of Perth and regionally based, like Geelong is to Melbourne. Immediate supporter base as Bunbury/Busselton/Margs/Harvey/Collie would all get on board and a city vs country rivalry with the ‘Perth’ teams.

The South West Marrons - give them black and green vertical jumpers.

Build a boutique stadium where they host Groovin the Moo in Bunbury every year and they'll be set!

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
interesting thought...

Would a 3rd team strengthen or weaken the existing 2 clubs?
I don't think it would have any influence on the strength of either of the existing teams.

On field strength is determined by:

a) decisions made during trade week and the draft. Which apart from a few initial concessions won't be any different for WA#3 compared to the the original teams.

b) club culture and decision-makung which depends mostly on the Footy Dept senior managers and secondarily on the pkayer's leadership group. Neither of those are influenced by what happens at other clubs.

Off field strength is determined by on field success. Sponsors, members, media attention , and fans will follow winning teams. If WA#3 have on field success they will get their share of off-field money, attention,and love. That doesn't impact on other teams because money, attention and love aren't a zero sum game.

Last edited:

megadeth92

Senior List
Jul 21, 2020
Lautoka, Fiji Islands
AFL Club
Collingwood
There are heaps of Eagles in Australia - head out East before you get to the Nullabor and you'll see them all along the roads eating dead roos.
Technically, the Eagles could have named themselves the Wedgetails and it would have been more Australian fauna-appropriate, and just think - they could have been called the Wedgies. I'd be down with that.

I was thinking more in terms of the words "West Coast" rather than the "Eagles" aspect. But you make some interesting points.

megadeth92

Senior List
Jul 21, 2020
Lautoka, Fiji Islands
AFL Club
Collingwood
I grew up a staunch WP fan. Wouldn’t bother me, but very possibly. Just ideas, definitely needs refining:)

Indigo, I was in the West Perth cheer squad behind the northern-end goals, 1984-86. It started out as me and my mate in May 1984 then grew to 15-20 of us. There were at least two other hardcore supporter groups too - Grandstand Falcons being one. They were good days.

megadeth92

Senior List
Jul 21, 2020
Lautoka, Fiji Islands
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sorry, guys, I'm not invading your board. i'm not a huge AFL fan, I don't mind Collingwood, and I don;t mind Fremantle (much prefer them to West Coast). Personally i don't think Bigfooty shouldn't force people to choose one AFL club.
Great - another team for Eddie to Chuck all his toys out the cot over. Problematic - couldn’t use their jumper or their nickname.
Edit: just realised you’re a Pies supporter. Didn’t mean to diss your club - but Eddie is a dick, and jumper and nickname are legit problems.

Hi, I agree that Eddie has been stupid about the stripes completely. Port should be free to wear them and, if jumpers clash, the away team should wear a clash jumper. i also think the old Pies jersey with the black stripe down the centre looked better.

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
Team should be based out of joondy.
The joondalup car jackers.
Fastest growing area.
Also dilute the eagles support up that way & might pull a few of those English geezers away from that soccer game.

Indigo19

Draftee
Sep 11, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast

Would never happen thoug

Not yet, not ready, but I’m sure
Indigo, I was in the West Perth cheer squad behind the northern-end goals, 1984-86. It started out as me and my mate in May 1984 then grew to 15-20 of us. There were at least two other hardcore supporter groups too - Grandstand Falcons being one. They were good days.
Awesome!!! I was jut a kid in mid to late eighties and used to go down to you guys with my little West Perth flag and you’d let me join in:)
Done if my best memories!! Thankyou:)

megadeth92

Senior List
Jul 21, 2020
Lautoka, Fiji Islands
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not yet, not ready, but I’m sure

Awesome!!! I was jut a kid in mid to late eighties and used to go down to you guys with my little West Perth flag and you’d let me join in:)
Done if my best memories!! Thankyou:)

Was your name Michael? We nicknamed you "Half"? You were eight-years-old? I wrote a book about the cheer squad, it is up online at: https://westperthfc.blogspot.com/

Back