Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 3 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'd be looking at a trade to bring in points and a player for the first pick so for example as one spoken about recently.
Stephenson + a second for our first and future third.

Collingwoods second is around pick 46 Worth 331 points so we would then need the equivalent of pick 18 to match him. So to match we would end up getting JUH plus 3 draft picks at the end of the draft and no first next year

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This joint baffles me sometimes

Happy to let Jake go because he fails the “d!ckhead” test but then suggest Stephenson

Schache out will get us some points. Maybe a pick in the 30s.

Josh isn’t worth close to that.

Cant get a game in a dysfunctional forward line in a mid table team.

Dec 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Richards being traded would maybe get us a mid-late second rounder (I’m dead against that)
Schache out would get us at best a mid-late third rounder.

we would still be slightly short of matching a bid meaning that comes off next years and we would need to draft 3 players at the end of the draft just to fill list spots not counting of a bid was made on Raak or Ewan

Philthy1

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This joint baffles me sometimes

Happy to let Jake go because he fails the “d!ckhead” test but then suggest Stephenson

Josh isn’t worth close to that.

Cant get a game in a dysfunctional forward line in a mid table team.
What is the word on Stephenson? I honestly haven't heard anything about him.

Yeah, maybe you're right on Schache. What could we get? He is contracted, we will get something.

Last edited:

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What is the word on Stephenson? I honestly haven't heard anything about him.

Yeah, maybe you're right on Schache. What could we get? He is contracted, we will get something.

His name is out there but there is zero chance we touch him even if he is available.

Like someone mentioned Hogan, might as well suggest Hulk Hogan

There's every chance that Schache stays on as he's contracted for another year, despite the fact we're actively trying to move him on. We'd pay a portion of his salary and get a decent draft pick, or trade him for next to nothing but ensure another club takes the entire weight off our salary cap. But you have to find a club willing to do one of the two, and if Schache can't get his guaranteed money from some combination of two clubs, he's entitled to see out his contract with us.

I think the point people are making with 6+ delistings is that we'd effectively have to take 5 end-of-the-draft picks if our entire draft is used to match a JUH bid which is basically way too many because they have such a poor success rate. Sure, as a scouting team 1-3 diamonds in the rough or a mature ager or a recycled player, but 4-5 is really stretching it.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There's every chance that Schache stays on as he's contracted for another year, despite the fact we're actively trying to move him on. We'd pay a portion of his salary and get a decent draft pick, or trade him for next to nothing but ensure another club takes the entire weight off our salary cap. But you have to find a club willing to do one of the two, and if Schache can't get his guaranteed money from some combination of two clubs, he's entitled to see out his contract with us.

I think the point people are making with 6+ delistings is that we'd effectively have to take 5 end-of-the-draft picks if our entire draft is used to match a JUH bid which is basically way too many because they have such a poor success rate. Sure, as a scouting team 1-3 diamonds in the rough or a mature ager or a recycled player, but 4-5 is really stretching it.

My tidbit is Josh will not be at the club next year

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Pardon the intrusion

I almost fell off my chair today when i heard Dale Morris had been let go by the club. One of the good guys in the sport and from all accounts, a good football brain to boot. Of all the people the club could have cut, he would have struck me as the last guy to let go
It’s a great shame but he’s only been in his coaching gig for a short time. He might be a victim of last one in first one out. Why should one of the other coaches lose their job when they're arguably more experienced in the coaching space?
More generally Gia gets a lot of crap on here based on prejudice of him as a player. I've no idea whether he can coach or not but I don’t think anyone here would know either.

Hobdog

Premiership Player
May 20, 2007
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It’s a great shame but he’s only been in his coaching gig for a short time. He might be a victim of last one in first one out. Why should one of the other coaches lose their job when they're arguably more experienced in the coaching space?
More generally Gia gets a lot of crap on here based on prejudice of him as a player. I've no idea whether he can coach or not but I don’t think anyone here would know either.

The frequent jibes at Gia are baffling given most people on here have nothing to base their opinions on whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Any truth to the rumours that we’re looking at Gunston?

1600076105154.png

Oct 30, 2003
Kennel
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My tidbit is Josh will not be at the club next year

it Is weird that Bevo writes off some players off and banishes them but perennial battlers who are not AFL standard are given about 5 years to prove they still are not AFL standard. Schache can make it in a team with structure, a good coach and a sound game plan. He has good leading patterns, high footy iq, good skills. He is not naturally aggressive but has Improved in that regard, hence the concussions he has suffered in pack situations.

i am very concerned Bevo will write off JUH. The kid will struggle in our fwd line like all others. Its the way we move the ball and is the reason Bevo will struggle to win another flag. He is a great motivator but lacks too much on the game plan and tactical side of the game. We may have 4 of the top 10 players in the game in 2023 (Bont, Smith, Naughts, JUH) but he will alway be behind the elite coaches in the AFL and will and not adapt to be a consistent top 4 team

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
it Is weird that Bevo writes off some players off and banishes them but perennial battlers who are not AFL standard are given about 5 years to prove they still are not AFL standard. Schache can make it in a team with structure, a good coach and a sound game plan. He has good leading patterns, high footy iq, good skills. He is not naturally aggressive but has Improved in that regard, hence the concussions he has suffered in pack situations.

i am very concerned Bevo will write off JUH. The kid will struggle in our fwd line like all others. Its the way we move the ball and is the reason Bevo will struggle to win another flag. He is a great motivator but lacks too much on the game plan and tactical side of the game. We may have 4 of the top 10 players in the game in 2023 (Bont, Smith, Naughts, JUH) but he will alway be behind the elite coaches in the AFL and will and not adapt to be a consistent top 4 team

JUH has elite speed and pack marking ability. Schache has neither. JUH is exactly suited to our forward line.

And let’s say for example worst case scenario JUH as a forward doesn’t work out. JUH has elite closing speed which would see him utilised in defence anyway. He could easily play as a third tall defender if required.

Schache doesn’t have any of those attributes. I get your point about selections but Bev has more options with JUH and Schache doesn’t have any real versitility.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Is this a Betoota Advocate piece?

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I think people need to accept that what nearly every coach since he was 16 says about him.

Lacks the desire to be competitive at the top level. His talent made him a high pick on the draft but there were concerns about this during his draft year. He wants to be a kid sized forward that runs into space with next to no body contact but he is too big to play that role.

No point being a beautiful kick if the only way you can get the footy is being spoon feed. Can’t play like that on modern football.

My info is Bevo has stamped his papers and we all know what that means and I have no fear of Hosh popping up somewhere else and making us look silly.

Apparently Adelaide have some small interest

Philthy1

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Schache is in his 5th AFL season And was dropped after a 2 disposal game. If he was going to make it he would have by now.

I wish the kid well and hope he does better at his next club.

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
As a key forward having a large tank and great skills aren't enough in the modern game. Particularly with the modern zoning system and the fact that Schache doesn't draw the number 1 KPD means that he simply isn't able to run the opposing Key Defender off their legs. Mediums who are good overhead could easily match up on him and close his space down or just outbody him in the contest.

So if that method of finding the footy isn't available how else is he to find his own ball. He doesn't have the strength to outbody defenders in the aerial ball and nor is he quick enough to get separation.

Unless it's a dry ball with a dominant midfield he simply doesn't have any method to contribute. Granted he kicked plenty of goals in the back half of last year but a lot of them (as i posted with his 2019 highlights in another thread) were from general play kicks or from free kicks.

In another system that allowed 3 talls to be played as well as cleaner forward entry (particularly in a team that kicked more - constant handball makes leadup forwards role more difficult) he may succeed.

Unfortunately for Josh his lack of athleticism is his major issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back