Autopsy Jesse Hogan - Worth 220 Points

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought he was better in the previous game against Melbourne despite kicking blot as against four. This game showed how much easier it is being a forward when your team is on top across all categories and is functioning as one.

Thats it though isn't it. Hes going to do hard work for SFA some weeks and other weeks he will do hard work and kick a handful. The key is that he does the hard work every week and his reward will come.
What the weekend showed to me is that he knows how to get in the right spot, his leading patterns are elite and he can be a really good finisher.

I think a fit Hogan can kick 40-45 next year, he just needs to be content that his scoring is likely to be feast or famine. 4 one week and none the next, but the weeks he kicks none do not imply a lack of impact.

The opposition were witches hats but you also can't deny some stark improvements in the forward line in the past two rounds. Firstly they are starting to make more space for each other (long way to go still) and switching things up (positionally) a lot to put the opposition on the back foot (hence why we probably saw good goal hauls from most of our forwards on Saturday).

I think the biggest difference of all was the willingness for most of the forwards to move the ball quickly. I am considering using Tabs roll on to the right foot to hit Jesse as my screensaver. Where the **** did that come from? And he did a similarly good hit up of Schultz just outside the goal square earlier in the game.

Speaking of Schultz, he played a good game but ffs stop being so slow to make a decision and holding up the game so often mate. Weird because he seems to have good footy IQ but his awareness of fellow forwards when he gets the ball is something he needs to improve a lot.

All of the above suit the way Jesse plays. Isolate him with 1 on 1s, move the ball quickly and he'll hit the scoreboard. And if the opposition clamp down on him then isolate Tabs or one of the other forwards. The lack of dynamism in our forward line for most of the year did not suit Jesse at all. If they can repeat and continually refine the kind of movement we saw on the weekend, Jesse becomes a real weapon, and so does Walters.

I think the biggest difference of all was the willingness for most of the forwards to move the ball quickly. I am considering using Tabs roll on to the right foot to hit Jesse as my screensaver. Where the **** did that come from? And he did a similarly good hit up of Schultz just outside the goal square earlier in the game.
This x 100. Moving the ball fast instead of pausing for 6-7 seconds and looking around with a confused head (Conca and Hughes are two of the worst culprits here, Schultz not much better) is the key to proving hogan and other inside forwards with handy goals.

This one? :hearteyes:

My own observation is that in a one on one, Tabs and Lobb preferred to come in high so they can use their strength and reach to outmark their opponents. Hogan will prefer that the ball get hit into space where he can lead into quickly.

Our mids will still need time to adjust their inside 50 entries.

The 20% of game time missing also happens to be the hardest 20% of the game to run.

This has a material impact. Guys like Langdon, Giro, Bewley, Hill etc base their game off being able to sustain the high level running longer than their opponent, as soon as the opponent can't do it they are in space, or impacting that contest, or getting ahead of the ball, or getting back to help defense.

Now we have the hardest part of that running removed from the game and players like Serong, Brayshaw, Frederick are able to keep up with the speed of the game as the fatigue hits.

The AFL has been under pressure to make the games shorter for this reason, it brings down the level you need to reach to not be a total liability to your team, especially in the midfield, at the end of quarters.

It has pushed aside something that very dedicated and hard working footballers could work on to set themselves apart. Now being elite fit won't be enough. You'll also need to be fast.

Langdon, Hill, Giro and Frederick should be fine, Bewley might be in trouble if the game stays with the shorter quarters.

I have to say I have been concerned with JL not saying definitively that hoges is staying. He doesn’t have the value to trade, and his upside is huge.

Basically it means unless someone comes with a godfather offer then we keep him, which is fair.

Unless a club comes with like pick 1 or 2 so we can take a Logan McDonald then we won't trade Jesse. Noone will come with that and therefore he will be here next year, simple as that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No club should guarentee a player will be with them in 2021. Planning for him to be in the side is enough.

Every club reserves the right to throw out a contract for misconduct in the off season.
It’s a Don Chipp statement.....
Keep the bastards honest - keep the player/s on notice that s**t won’t be tolerated under his watch

Jesse spoke on DockerTV about having a good pre-season with the club, but I remember Neale saying similar things in the same year he betrayed us.

I am despondent, even after such a glorious win over a pathetic North Melbourne.

The opposition were witches hats but you also can't deny some stark improvements in the forward line in the past two rounds. Firstly they are starting to make more space for each other (long way to go still) and switching things up (positionally) a lot to put the opposition on the back foot (hence why we probably saw good goal hauls from most of our forwards on Saturday).

Speaking of Schultz, he played a good game but ffs stop being so slow to make a decision and holding up the game so often mate. Weird because he seems to have good footy IQ but his awareness of fellow forwards when he gets the ball is something he needs to improve a lot.

All of the above suit the way Jesse plays. Isolate him with 1 on 1s, move the ball quickly and he'll hit the scoreboard. And if the opposition clamp down on him then isolate Tabs or one of the other forwards. The lack of dynamism in our forward line for most of the year did not suit Jesse at all. If they can repeat and continually refine the kind of movement we saw on the weekend, Jesse becomes a real weapon, and so does Walters.

You can't have a go at blokes for not moving the ball on just going off the tv

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

You can't have a go at blokes for not moving the ball on just going off the tv
Wasn't based on just that game - I have been to every home game this season ;) I rate Schultz ftr - he does all the hard work leading up on the wings etc and if he looked downfield straight away he'd be a key cog in a heap of our scores. Improves that part of his game and think he secures a spot in our B22.

Wasn't based on just that game - I have been to every home game this season ;) I rate Schultz ftr - he does all the hard work leading up on the wings etc and if he looked downfield straight away he'd be a key cog in a heap of our scores. Improves that part of his game and think he secures a spot in our B22.

Fair enough although a few bad turnovers in the middle of the ground almost cost him his spot early doors so I'm happy for blokes to play to their strengths a bit , you know as well as I that our good defensive record is about much more than the backline playing well

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

You and I both know it means little. Ill be honest, hogan has always been a favourite of mine, even at dees. We finally have gun forwards and there's talk of offloading one.. crazy stuff.

There is a period we didn’t have a recognized full forward after Pav retired.
I don’t consider that having 3 (Hogan, Tabs and Lobb) meant that we have excess in this department and have the luxury to offload even 1. Even if we don’t consider injury or do down in form (both which we had), I think JLo’s gameplan would require all 3 on the field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back