Opinion Commentary & Media IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally agree with you but it just amazes me the board couldn’t see we were in dire need of a list overhaul. It makes me question whether they see bottoming out still a major issue for a club like ours.

Who says the board couldn't see we needed an overhaul? My understanding is that the board in 2016 did see the need to rebuild and gave Brad Scott carte blanche to cut deep. However, he decided that he could lure in some high priced recruits and free agents instead. When that failed, he went back to the board 18 months later and told them he needed to rebuild. It's not that they disagreed with this assessment, more that they decided he wasn't the man to do it. He had his chance to rebuild and he squibbed it.

Who says the board couldn't see we needed an overhaul? My understanding is that the board in 2016 did see the need to rebuild and gave Brad Scott carte blanche to cut deep. However, he decided that he could lure in some high priced recruits and free agents instead. When that failed, he went back to the board 18 months later and told them he needed to rebuild. It's not that they disagreed with this assessment, more that they decided he wasn't the man to do it. He had his chance to rebuild and he squibbed it.
Unfair to pin it all on Brad. And I also think it's unfair to say he squibbed it.

Reality is the club went all-in on the big fish approach from 2013, bringing in the free agents like Higgins, Waite, Dal Santo.

And it almost worked. Consecutive prelims, particularly in 2015 when we were in a winning position.

So chasing Martin, Kelly and Gaff was no different, the strategy almost worked so why not go again? Unfortunately we didn't get them over the line, and the rest is history.

that's one thing that worries me, where is the pride to play for the coach, the club... Injuries is irrelevant.

Our injuries arent as bad as they appear.
Cunnington is the big one. Brown was out of form before he went down.
The rest are kids however. Thomas, Taylor, Hayden, Walker, etc.

Something stinks.

Our injuries arent as bad as they appear.
Cunnington is the big one. Brown was out of form before he went down.
The rest are kids however. Thomas, Taylor, Hayden, Walker, etc.

Something stinks.

20 injuries is unsustainable, regardless. Also, when you chuck in the rampant tanking (Polec and Higgins...) that Shaw has engaged in since halfway through the season, it’s really hard to get a line on exactly how bad we are. The good news is that we appear to have arrived at a “line in the sand” stage. The myriad out of contract players has eventuated at a perfect time for Brady. It’s up to Shaw and him to set things up differently for next season. We can but watch and hope.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We've lost a good one

That's really bad news. Marc was the only reporter with the balls to start asking Scotts the hard questions at the start of last year. Equally, he was probably the only reporter in the mainstream AFL media who actually had in depth knowledge of our list.

Also, the AFL having a "far smaller" team moving forward is not good for us as we'll probably end up being covered by some line-toeing jobsworth who devotes most of their time to "bigger" clubs and reports on us as an afterthought.

At the end of the day, it's obviously all about clicks rather than quality or integrity. Articles about North clearly don't generate enough advertising bucks for the AFL.

That's really bad news. Marc was the only reporter with the balls to start asking Scotts the hard questions at the start of last year. Equally, he was probably the only reporter in the mainstream AFL media who actually had in depth knowledge of our list.

Also, the AFL having a "far smaller" team moving forward is not good for us as we'll probably end up being covered by some line-toeing jobsworth who devotes most of their time to "bigger" clubs and reports on us as an afterthought.

At the end of the day, it's obviously all about clicks rather than quality or integrity. Articles about North clearly don't generate enough advertising bucks for the AFL.

Knows his s**t, does his homework, doesn't get caught up in tabloid rubbish...how the * was he supposed to keep his job?

The Athletic needs to get an Australian arm and snap up the good sports journos that are being cast aside.

IF Gerard Whateley, Damian Barrett, Caroline Wilson, Robinson, Fat Eddie, Jabber the Hutch and that lousy mob at the Hun, Croc Media, Fox News and the AFL are all that are left to report on this sport THEN what is the point of there being a media contingent - they aren't journalists reporting news, they are either toadies, towing the party line or they're bottom feeding dirtballs hanging around outside of hospitals trying to get a scoop.

There is also the likes of Jacob Polychronis. Promoted from writing stories about cheese and sausage rolls. FFS.

Journalists.

I suppose I work with people who call themselves IT Consultants, so this impersonation thing isn't exactly something limited to the fourth estate.

Should I do it? :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've lost a good one

So, Marc was a big reason why the heat was applied to Brad last year, when most of the media neither cared, didnt notice or simply couldnt give a *.

Did Bradley just get revenge?

So, Marc was a big reason why the heat was applied to Brad last year, when most of the media neither cared, didnt notice or simply couldnt give a fu**.

Did Bradley just get revenge?
So he was taken down because he wasn't always a 'company man'. What a fickle org.

They have checked out.
They checked out weeks ago.

This year just became too big a mountain to climb for a list in transition, with a heavy injury toll and a first year coach.

What stinks is that clubs like GWS and Essendon who have built their list around challenging now are not getting as much heat as we are.

Also the comment about Adelaide salvaging a season? Seriously? They were putrid for the majority of this season and have strung together a couple of wins. Their season is nothing to praise.

The media have memories like goldfish, they only can seem to recall anything that happened a few weeks ago.

It’s news in general
I bet if I go to News.com.au I will find trash that’s not news

Impressive effort to write so many words and end up saying ... not a lot at all.
Until this season when he missed the first two games with a suspension that lasted months Marley Williams had only ever been out of the side with injury.

I reckon Marc McGowan might have known that.

Meanwhile, absolute turds like Tom Browne are probably in line for promotions......

Helps when the step mum is worth half a billion and bankrolls Hutchy I guess......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back