List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
I'm still thinking and expecting Noble and Ambrogio to have a player trade in the works that we haven't thought of yet to complete the blockbuster trade in trifecta. With list sizes and salary cap to be cut there should be a few players looking for or being forced to move.

Charlie Cameron > Lachie Neale > ???
Xavier O’Halloran?😁

I'm not sure brown really fits in either. Our game plan seems to be more revolved around kicking high long balls to forwards, having them create a contest, then our crumbers and repeat entries are the main goal threat. I would have thought Brown's strength was leading and marking, not so much standing under high balls and crashing packs. I'm not saying we should get him, but someone with Levi Casboult's strengths would suit better than someone with Brown's strengths.

Plus I was under the impression McInerney would still spend a lot of time forward. If that's the case, well we'd need someone who can adequately play as a genuine ruck and genuine forward. If we were to recruit Brown- a good forward but only a relief ruck- and no starting 22 ruck that would mean Oscar is the full time ruck. I'm not sure I like that. If we were to recruit another ruck, it starts getting very tall with McStay, Hipwood, Oscar, Brown and another ruck/forward.

Ceglar, Peter Wright, Nankervis- they seem like the guys for me who are adequate forward or rucking and could compliment McInerney- depending how much of his time the coach thinks he should spend forward or in the middle.

I think Gunston is an excellent option too- he can play deep forward, high half forward, wing, defence and can bring others into the game with his leading and kicking. We don't have anyone like him currently. Seems like the sort of player that would play for a long time too- I'd bet that he'll play around 100 more games.

Anyway, with that being said I'm sure we'll now recruit Ben Brown to win the Coleman for us next year.

Definitely Brown from my POV. One year younger, but also a different type of player. Brown can be the focal point of an attack - I'm not sure that's really Gunston's strength. Brown could also help out in the ruck in the forward 50. Wouldn't be unhappy with either of them though.

Agree with this. I love Gunston but in terms of bang for buck... Brown would be the better fit.

I think Hipwood and McStay are growing, together. Probably only one player that I think could make as much as a difference as what Brown could and that is Cockatoo.. Who seemingly has been on our radar for a couple of years now.

I’m probably more invested into the drafts then most on this board.. and whilst it’s a good draft to get a slider.. in our position, we’re better off getting some more experienced talent in.

I'm still thinking and expecting Noble and Ambrogio to have a player trade in the works that we haven't thought of yet to complete the blockbuster trade in trifecta. With list sizes and salary cap to be cut there should be a few players looking for or being forced to move.

Charlie Cameron > Lachie Neale > ???
Merrett?

I'm with you Jason mp - I don't see why we'd be looking to replace who we've got KPF wise.

We've got other areas of need and other deserving players who'll be looking for a pay increase, so I don't see why you'd bother with someone like Ben Brown, who really did show how soft he was earlier in the year.

Plus, I don't like the number 50.
Agree I think we r all forgetting the untapped potential of Tommy Fullerton. He teased my imagination in the game prior to his injury.

I'm not sure if I posted it, but Brown seems to get a huge amount of his goals from free kicks. An almost uncanny amount. But he has a very good leading IQ. There was a moment against sydney where McStay lead straight at the ball carrier into a pack of players instead into all the open space on the fat side of the ground. It's that sort of leading instinct that I think Brown brings and he could do it very well for us. But even with that, still on the fence.

We only really get one shot at filling that KPF spot, so let's hope we get it right.

I'm not sure if I posted it, but Brown seems to get a huge amount of his goals from free kicks. An almost uncanny amount. But he has a very good leading IQ. There was a moment against sydney where McStay lead straight at the ball carrier into a pack of players instead into all the open space on the fat side of the ground. It's that sort of leading instinct that I think Brown brings and he could do it very well for us. But even with that, still on the fence.

We only really get one shot at filling that KPF spot, so let's hope we get it right.
I think a lot of that is his long arms and style. When someone that tall is leading straight at the ball one out defenders slightly panic and try and take the arms or body. He is a bit uncoordinated looking so easy to pay frees for. Its effective but again we do seem to kick to the pocket and have contested marking situations with often two or three people going for the ball and ensuring it hits the ground. Maybe not effective for Brown

Agree with this. I love Gunston but in terms of bang for buck... Brown would be the better fit.

I think Hipwood and McStay are growing, together. Probably only one player that I think could make as much as a difference as what Brown could and that is Cockatoo.. Who seemingly has been on our radar for a couple of years now.

I’m probably more invested into the drafts then most on this board.. and whilst it’s a good draft to get a slider.. in our position, we’re better off getting some more experienced talent in.

I think a lot of that is his long arms and style. When someone that tall is leading straight at the ball one out defenders slightly panic and try and take the arms or body. He is a bit uncoordinated looking so easy to pay frees for. Its effective but again we do seem to kick to the pocket and have contested marking situations with often two or three people going for the ball and ensuring it hits the ground. Maybe not effective for Brown

Yep, the big question is, is our game plan to kick to the pockets because we don't have a leading forward? Or are we kicking to the pockets because we doing have a natural leading target out of the goal square.

What we can say, is that if we get Brown and it doesn't work. Then it never will, he's probably one of the best in the business at it.

What if we compared to say the failed acquisition of Elliot last year. Both good leading targets out of the goal square or moving into good space in the forward line. Except brown can chop out in the ruck while providing less forward pressure. With the emergence of Coleman, we do look to have a bit more depth in the forward pressure stakes, but personally I think the addition of Brown to our forward line only works is Martin retires.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jaidyn Stephenson also rumoured to be getable.
No way.

On a kind of unrelated note, probably unlike any other club do players that get drafted to Collingwood quickly get a sense of entitlement and arrogance about them i.e. Cox, Stephenson, Treloar, Adams and the list goes on. Mason Cox though is just the biggest flog and as TBD mentioned last night, thinks he is so important, relevant and the envy of all AFL watchers. He couldn't be more wrong.

As much as I hate how protected he is, I have always admired Scott Pendlebury and his humbleness and not wanting to be a media pig unlike many others that roll through that club.

On a kind of unrelated note, probably unlike any other club do players that get drafted to Collingwood quickly get a sense of entitlement and arrogance about them i.e. Cox, Stephenson, Treloar, Adams and the list goes on.
Richmond seem to be heading that way too. Lynch has always been a tool, but I don't remember him being as much of a campaigner at Gold Coast as he is now.

Stephenson seems to me to be a time bomb waiting to explode. Collingwood have always been very good at covering things up and you have to think there is much more going on with Stephenson than is currently in the public sphere.

I would not be touching him with a ten foot pole.

On Wingard he is a fine player but I do not think his body will allow him to consistently play big midfield minutes and to me that is where the value is with him. I know he was a big goal scorer earlier in his career but he has kicked under 25 goals a year the last 4 years. When he was drafted I rated his talent up there with the very best and I still do but I am not prepared to pay the premium that would be required to get him to the Lions.

Interesting both Stephenson and Wingard being brought up. Stephenson seems like a poor mans Wingard and his career seems to be following a similar trajectory

Stephenson avoids contact at all costs. Can't have a player like that running about. Wingard looked like he was ready to repay the Hawks in the game against us this year. He killed us. Not done a whole lot since about round 4. I don't know if he struggling with a body that can't do what it use too or he loses interest quick? Neither would be any value to our team.

We have very settled club and have good depth that we can bring in the likes if Witherden and Coleman when we have players out. I would hate for us to trade a player in and unsettle things. Free agents are more desirable as they don't cost us players going the other way and draft picks.

We need to keep hitting the draft hard and stay up the top for a long period. I don't want to go back to the Voss / Leppa days. If a quality player is available and wants to come to Lions by all means have a crack but otherwise I wouldn't be talking to a million different players and unsettling our current list.

Wingard, Stephenson.

ShorttermFewCuscus-size_restricted.gif

Stephenson seems to me to be a time bomb waiting to explode. Collingwood have always been very good at covering things up and you have to think there is much more going on with Stephenson than is currently in the public sphere.

I would not be touching him with a ten foot pole.

On Wingard he is a fine player but I do not think his body will allow him to consistently play big midfield minutes and to me that is where the value is with him. I know he was a big goal scorer earlier in his career but he has kicked under 25 goals a year the last 4 years. When he was drafted I rated his talent up there with the very best and I still do but I am not prepared to pay the premium that would be required to get him to the Lions.
Curious for your view on the Eddie Ford highlights I posted in the draft thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back