What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could it also not be that Gardner is a confidence player? Complain as much as you want about Bevo's selection decisions (I have as well), but he's not selecting him for no reason at all, he must have shown something in training and match sim. I get the sense he's had trouble showing this in games because of a lack of confidence and this is Bevo, with the interpersonal skills he has, pumping up his tyres and showing faith in him to get the best out of him. He's been improving.
This has been mentioned by the club and by several on here over recent weeks. He apparently gets extremely nervous before games. Some great sports people have been like that so it's not unusual.

The best cure for the nerves and lack of confidence is to get a run of games and show some form. One goes with the other. After a while you start to believe in yourself and back your judgement. Gia was reported as saying his judgement of the aerial ball was very good in scratch matches. From his first few matches you wouldn't have believed that but I think it's starting to show as he settles in.

This has been mentioned by the club and by several on here over recent weeks. He apparently gets extremely nervous before games. Some great sports people have been like that so it's not unusual.

The one and only Bones McGhie was one of them.

Chucked mightily before every game he played.

Never got past the pre game nerves, even after winning two flags with the Tigers.

Could it also not be that Gardner is a confidence player? Complain as much as you want about Bevo's selection decisions (I have as well), but he's not selecting him for no reason at all, he must have shown something in training and match sim. I get the sense he's had trouble showing this in games because of a lack of confidence and this is Bevo, with the interpersonal skills he has, pumping up his tyres and showing faith in him to get the best out of him. He's been improving.
Also, you’re much more exposed in AFL than in VFL, with all the tv coverage, footy shows, talkback, etc. It must feel like a million eyes are suddenly upon your every move, waiting for you to stuff up. It only takes a couple of clangers at the start of your career (remember Jack Watts?) and the confidence can start to wobble. Plus fitting in with teammates and getting your head around the game plan. I know it applies to all players but it’s no wonder there are mental health issues in the AFL.

I'm glad Gardner's shaping up better than we thought he would. I just wish some other players had been given that same run of games and opportunity to find their feet.
Different players need different things. If there's one thing Bevo's good at it's the personal stuff. I'd back him in.

The best cure for the nerves and lack of confidence is to get a run of games and show some form. One goes with the other. After a while you start to believe in yourself and back your judgement. Gia was reported as saying his judgement of the aerial ball was very good in scratch matches. From his first few matches you wouldn't have believed that but I think it's starting to show as he settles in.

Not sure if it helps him dw , Comfort in numbers ,most of our supporters are nervous for him.
i know I am !

I'm glad Gardner's shaping up better than we thought he would. I just wish some other players had been given that same run of games and opportunity to find their feet.
Gardner played 2 games last year, was then dropped and not seen again.

He then got the first 2 games this year, was dropped and had to wait until R11 for another chance

He's hardly been given an uninterrupted armchair ride.

There was a report in today's Canberra Times that Dale Morris was among four WB staff members axed as a result of the Covid19-related financial cuts.

I thought that happened quite a while ago.

Any idea who the other three are? I notice Bevo is still doing media interviews so it's probably not him.

There was a report in today's Canberra Times that Dale Morris was among four WB staff members axed as a result of the Covid19-related financial cuts.

Any idea who the other three are? I notice Bevo is still doing media interviews so it's probably not him.
Ben Graham, Joel Corey and Jordan Russell :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Joel Corey, Ben Graham, Jordan Russell

My guess is that they were temporarily laid off/furloughed for this season, especially as the need for development coaches was reduced with more easily analysed VFL games was replaced by scratch matches.

You sure it’s Graham.
He was mentioned by Bev in his recent presser as one who’s coaching from the bench
Yep, Graham went into the hub and I believe was there even last week but he's finishing up in 2020 at some point. Not sure if he finishes the year or leaves asap. Role likely to be absorbed by Grant I'd say. That was his direct 'answer to', anyway.

Yep, Graham went into the hub and I believe was there even last week but he's finishing up in 2020 at some point. Not sure if he finishes the year or leaves asap. Role likely to be absorbed by Grant I'd say. That was his direct 'answer to', anyway.

Graham has been in footage on the boundary at the interchange bench with headset as recently as the last game or two. Strange move. I understand Russell, Corey and Morris as they never went up to the hub. Is Grant up there? Gia is usually near the bench as well. Hope he stays until the end of the season, just for continuity for the players in that role.

Graham has been in footage on the boundary at the interchange bench with headset as recently as the last game or two. Strange move. I understand Russell, Corey and Morris as they never went up to the hub. Is Grant up there? Gia is usually near the bench as well. Hope he stays until the end of the season, just for continuity for the players in that role.

Saw Grant at the game on Sunday. He was carrying the esky down from the coaches box trailing Bevo, Gia & Smith. All hands on deck.

The decision to get rid of Joel Corey, and Ben Graham if true is mind boggling, considering that Gia and Rohan Smith are still there.

You've got 2 people who have experience at other organisations, whilst Gia and Smith have never left the Kennel, ever! Good clubs always have coaches with different backgrounds.

Really poor decisions.

The decision to get rid of Joel Corey, and Ben Graham if true is mind boggling, considering that Gia and Rohan Smith are still there.

You've got 2 people who have experience at other organisations, whilst Gia and Smith have never left the Kennel, ever! Good clubs always have coaches with different backgrounds.

Really poor decisions.
I agree with the idea of more voices from outside clubs (particularly successful ones) within our football department as a general concept.

In the cases of Corey and Graham, they have.been in the coaching set up for 7 years, so their perspectives and ideas have well and truly been shared.

I don't know whether they were better people to keep than Gia and Smith and I don't think anyone outside of the inner sanctum does, but after several years of being here their previous IP isn't really part of the equation, it's all been used.

All clubs are letting good people go. Hope we find a way to introduce new blood this off season, although it'll be very difficult in the current environment.

Last edited:

Really poor decisions.
This is an impossible comment to make unless you're inside the 4 walls.
You are correct that outside voice is important but as mentioned above, what new outside ideas would come after 7 years... you also dont know if they are actually any good, or what relationships they have with the players.

Really poor decisions.
All other things being equal I’d agree. Obviously everybody will have different views as to how good each one is. Experience elsewhere is very important but maybe they rate Gia and Bubba as better coaches?

I don’t know enough about each of them but I do feel uneasy about it.

Ben Graham has been with us for a long time. He has done amazing work in setting up the VFL side, AFLW and Whitten Oval Redevelopment - I wonder whether he called it himself and wanted a change?

Strange call if it was from us.

Ben Graham has been with us for a long time. He has done amazing work in setting up the VFL side, AFLW and Whitten Oval Redevelopment - I wonder whether he called it himself and wanted a change?

Strange call if it was from us.
Unfortunately the football department spending cap has had to go down so far that hard decisions had to be made. Arguments could be made for any of the coaches who left to stay, and any who stayed to go. Like any business, sometimes you have to choose between unpalatable choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back