2020 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

When Rendell was on radio he was very bullish about the Crows trading Brad. He thinks pick 2 would be too good to refuse. Said Sydney or North would be crazy not to be looking at him. Matt was also very positive about the 2020 draft in general and didn't seem concerned about the father sons diluting the available talent.

Last edited:
Can't help with the Paywall. But the title seems leads me to believe that the pressure is mounting on a bunch of list managers in Victoria.

Like i've said from the beginning, it amazes me that people have thought that COVID would decrease Brads value. When in reality I can't see it doing anything but skyrocketing it.

Most compromised draft of all time (minus expansion teams), no VIC draftees with exposed form, no U18 carnival, no draft picks required to get him.

If there was ever a year list managers would prioritize 'known quantities' over draftees, its 2020!
It surely would be tempting for Geelong if they really wanted brad to not blow their wage structure to get him but to offer a couple of their 1st rounders for him with a second rounder coming bac in a trade scenario and bypass RFA...however that goes out the window if Brad is fielding bigger offers elsewhere. But from a crows perspective getting 2 teens 1sts and losing brad and a 2nd rounder could be a fall back position if geelong is in the picture

Can't help with the Paywall. But the title seems leads me to believe that the pressure is mounting on a bunch of list managers in Victoria.

Like i've said from the beginning, it amazes me that people have thought that COVID would decrease Brads value. When in reality I can't see it doing anything but skyrocketing it.

Most compromised draft of all time (minus expansion teams), no VIC draftees with exposed form, no U18 carnival, no draft picks required to get him.

If there was ever a year list managers would prioritize 'known quantities' over draftees, its 2020!
'Brad Crouch suitors - Including Geelong and Essendon will be invited to register their interest'

Gees, feels like an auction.

When Rendell was on radio he was very bullish about the Crows trading Brad. He thinks pick 2 would be too good to refuse. Said Sydney or North would be crazy not to be looking at him. Matt was also very positive about the 2020 draft in general and didn't seem concerned about the father sons diluting the available talent.

All the more reason for us to try and trade into this draft, taking advantage of all the clubs super eager to trade out of this draft due to the question mark over the kids from not getting to see them play as much.

It is really smart business to let Brouch go if it nets pick 2. At the moment we have Crouch x2, Laird and Sloane taking up huge mid minutes. I understand at the moment we don't have many young mids to displace them (Schoenberg/Keays aside and maybe Jones if he can learn to find it). But after this draft we will have another bunch of promising mids needing some time in the middle.

Its not like we are sending all the kids out there to get beaten on. We still have those above named seniors to protect them. He is the only one that could net us a pick this early so it is a no brainer really. We have made mistakes previously signing senior players with trade value to long term contracts passed their best so lets not do it again.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep... with Sloane, Mcrouch, Laird and Keays as our experienced in the centre we can easily let go of Brad...

Moreso now that Shoenburg just looks better and better with every minute he plays..

On top of this we will get Hately and could, no matter how small a chance it may be, get Caldwell.. depending on what we offer and how good a connection there is between him and Nicksy... you never know..

Our midfield will be fine without Brouch moving forward.

Im still on the “take mcdonald and thilthorpe” train if we do wind up with 1 and 2..

Just sets our forward line talls stocks up for a decade. Mcdonald, thilthorpe, fog, himmelberg to pick from.. both mcdonald and thilthorpe are very mobile and athletic big men.. both could easily push up the ground onto the wings..

Fog stays back and leads out of the goal square.

Our defensive stocks are set.
We lock in our forward stocks.
Our midfield is looking promising and we add to it with the rest of the picks this year and our great picks next year..

I’m not sold on Phillips with his rumoured want to stay in vicco making him a flight risk and I’m worried about Hollands and his ACL... he may even slip to our GWS pick.. or maybe if we want him badly we can use the GWS pick and something else to move up to a pick around 5..

These lads with ACL’s nearly always slide..

Yep... with Sloane, Mcrouch, Laird and Keays as our experienced in the centre we can easily let go of Brad...

Moreso now that Shoenburg just looks better and better with every minute he plays..

On top of this we will get Hately and could, no matter how small a chance it may be, get Caldwell.. depending on what we offer and how good a connection there is between him and Nicksy... you never know..

Our midfield will be fine without Brouch moving forward.

Im still on the “take mcdonald and thilthorpe” train if we do wind up with 1 and 2..

Just sets our forward line talls stocks up for a decade. Mcdonald, thilthorpe, fog, himmelberg to pick from.. both mcdonald and thilthorpe are very mobile and athletic big men.. both could easily push up the ground onto the wings..

Fog stays back and leads out of the goal square.

Our defensive stocks are set.
We lock in our forward stocks.
Our midfield is looking promising and we add to it with the rest of the picks this year and our great picks next year..

I’m not sold on Phillips with his rumoured want to stay in vicco making him a flight risk and I’m worried about Hollands and his ACL... he may even slip to our GWS pick.. or maybe if we want him badly we can use the GWS pick and something else to move up to a pick around 5..

These lads with ACL’s nearly always slide..
We took lever who had done an acl and he was looking to be a gun til he moved to melbourne and did another acl. I wouldnt worry too much about it.

We took lever who had done an acl and he was looking to be a gun til he moved to melbourne and did another acl. I wouldnt worry too much about it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the only reason Lever was available to take at our pick was because of the ACL wasn't it?

My understanding is he would have gone higher that draft if not for that.

Also that's the problem with ACLs.. you do it once and it never gets back to 100% which puts you at risk of doing it again.

IF we were super confident about Luko next year, would it be reasonable for us to trade out of the first round next year (or trade down at least) and then when he wants to come to us tell gold coast here is a late first and a second, soz not soz?
I'm not sure I'd be targeting luko so early, he's the cream when we've only just began to put the ingredients together for the cake. Unless he is deadset wanting home, I'd be waiting till he and Rankine are free agents.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have two big issues with the Brad Crouch trade vs re-sign dilemma:

1) Crows have an awful reputation when it comes to player retention. Brad has openly said he wants to stay, albeit on the right terms, the coach has also said he wants to keep him. If we’re seen to push a player out the door under those circumstances how does that help our reputation and culture around a club that wants to keep high end interstate talent?

2) The draft is an absolute lottery - even in sports with more money and more tracking of draft age players teams routinely get their first round picks wrong. There’s been plenty of top 5 draft picks that turn out to be busts. Our recent top end picks have yet to prove themselves as anything more than “okay”. What makes us think we will pick a player better than Brad Crouch?

Problem is we don't know what the requirements for band 1 compo are at this stage.
Also we only get one shot at this if I read the AFL rules correctly.

If we decide to go the FA offer and not match, it can only be done once so the offer from another club submitted to FL house is final - if it isn't enough for tier 1 compo, we don't get to backtrack and do it again.

It surely would be tempting for Geelong if they really wanted brad to not blow their wage structure to get him but to offer a couple of their 1st rounders for him with a second rounder coming bac in a trade scenario and bypass RFA...however that goes out the window if Brad is fielding bigger offers elsewhere. But from a crows perspective getting 2 teens 1sts and losing brad and a 2nd rounder could be a fall back position if geelong is in the picture

Given all 3 picks are in the teens, I'd want all of them, straight swap, there would be no second coming back. Screw them, it is there last ditch effort to get a flag, cough them up or well we will talk to the team that has first pick in the PSD

Also we only get one shot at this if I read the AFL rules correctly.

If we decide to go the FA offer and not match, it can only be done once so the offer from another club submitted to FL house is final - if it isn't enough for tier 1 compo, we don't get to backtrack and do it again.
Correct. The deal is lodged with the VFL, we then have 24hrs to match. If we don't match, only then do we hear what the compo will be. IF we match, Brad then has to decide if he will sign the contract. If not, he can go into the PSD, ND or sit the year out.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the only reason Lever was available to take at our pick was because of the ACL wasn't it?

My understanding is he would have gone higher that draft if not for that.

Also that's the problem with ACLs.. you do it once and it never gets back to 100% which puts you at risk of doing it again.
Yeah Vhaluus .. i recall Lever being touted as top 5 before his ACL.. Kemp also slid a fair way last year.

And I’m not sure what youre suggesting here Brett?... are you saying if we take Hollands that we will need to trade him out to Melbourne a couple of years later before he does his second ACL ala Jake lever!!..

Only Joking!.. I know thats not really what you meant by it. but you get my point.. taking a kid with an ACL has a much bigger risk to it than taking one that hasnt done one... do we really risk using pick 1 or 2 on a kid with an ACL??..

I have two big issues with the Brad Crouch trade vs re-sign dilemma:

1) Crows have an awful reputation when it comes to player retention. Brad has openly said he wants to stay, albeit on the right terms, the coach has also said he wants to keep him. If we’re seen to push a player out the door under those circumstances how does that help our reputation and culture around a club that wants to keep high end interstate talent?

Meh, Brad was shopping himself around all through trade week last year. He opened the door to leaving the club, I have no issue pushing him through the door if he's flip flopping...if he wants to stay, sign a contract

I think if elijah taylor gets delisted from sydney we should take a chance on him. nicks could straighten him up. he's too talented to not take a chance on.
Hard pass for me. Nick's has plenty on his plate without having to deal the shitstorm that is Elijah Taylor.

Also, when was the last time AFC straightened up anyone?

I think if elijah taylor gets delisted from sydney we should take a chance on him. nicks could straighten him up. he's too talented to not take a chance on.

Think he will be better suited in the penitentiary league if these latest allegations are true.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back