Other Teams
"Goddess"
Eh7W5KqU8AAEXi7

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I was 11 years old when Kade Simpson debuted. And 13 when he got a real crack at footy. It's safe to say that Kade Simpson is synonymous with Carlton in my eyes, having been a core part of our side for the majority of the time i have consciously and passionately supported the Carlton Blues.

There are few words to describe what Kade can do and did throughout his career. More courageous than his size should have reasonably permitted, effortless in his dedication to the club and craft. A carlton legend and one i'll never ever forget.

Nice reflection. I'd say we'd be similar age, and my sentiments are pretty similar. The guy was an icon from his early days because he was compared to Matty Lappin (my favourite player) by draft watchers and was one of the very few talented young guys on our list.

Simmo is everything you want from a player - full of effort, skilful, courageous, loyal. He played in some of the worst teams I've ever seen assembled and didn't stop trying.

I expressed how sad I was to see Kreuzer go because his recruitment along with Murphy etc underscored what was hopefully to come. Simmo was very much a part of that brigade of talented young players who really looked they were pushing the club forward. Of course nothing ever materialised, but we had a few years of exciting footy from 2008-2012 (maybe things'd have been different if the club didn't make some appalling decisions), and Simmo was a major stakeholder.

Going to be pretty sobering watching him line up for the last time.

BlueBayou

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I will add a story here.

I'm from up Emerald way, and knew Kade as a teenager, played cricket with his dad, etc.
I cursed/indoctrinated my son with a love of the Blues, without the glory years I experienced as a younger man. Sorry son.

Son played with the same Emerald Bombers JFC that had produced the skinny champ. Somehow Kade found out Son is a Blues man and arranged a signed jumper for him, which we had mounted. It has signatures of all that years players.

It also turned out to be the year of our first ever 'spoon'.

Thanks for the big heart and generous spirit Kade. Sorry you played in such a s**t era.

Last edited:
When your cousin plays over 100 games in the number 6 guernsey when you're a youngster growing up you hope that whoever comes after that does the number proud.

I was lucky to watch Matt Clape go around for Carlton in our last premiership year. He did the number proud from '95 to '98. Then we had some lean years, Murray Vance and Adam Pickering.

In 2002 draft, when all hope in the club seemed lost, we drafted a skinny kid in the third round of the 2002 AFL Draft. Barely 6-foot, 70-something kilos and that was wringing wet. Barely saw the ground in his first three games and didn't even register a single disposal. Just another forgettable player in the number 6 guernsey.

Saturday night will mark the 342nd and final time that that seemingly forgettable player has pulled on a Carlton guernsey. He has become one of the most loyal, hardest working, skillful players in club history.

Simpson has won the John Nicholls Medal (2013), been vice captain of the club (2013-14, 2016) and in many people's minds should have been the captain of the club. He won the Jim Stynes medal in 2008, represented the country on 8 different occasions, and has done almost everything a player of his caliber could achieve.

He had his opportunities to leave the club but bled navy. He could have been excused had he decided that he wanted to chase an elusive premiership and would have been a handy player in the defense, midfield, or forward line of practically every premiership team over the past decade or so.

In doing so Simmo not only did the number 6 for Carlton proud he made it his own. With his retirement a significant part of the fabric of the club will be gone with it. Some will say that it's time for Carlton to turn the page into a new era. But that doesn't mean that it doesn't hurt to lose someone who has been as consistently good and loyal as what Simmo has been to the Carlton Football Club.

Bob Chitty. Ern Henfry. Leo Brereton. Garry Crane. Mario Bortolotto. Jon Dorotich. Matt Clape.

Number 6 for Carlton, KADE SIMPSON.

Thank you is not enough. Simmo, you'll always be a legend.

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
I first saw Simmo at the Carlton Social Club in 2003 when you could turn up to the club, have breakfast and watch the boys train. To think it’s 2020 now and he’s played himself into legendary status as a footballer. Well I’m pinching myself. Imagine how Simmo feels.

It’s a great journey filled with skill and endeavour. It doesn’t matter which era you think about footy is a brutal game. You have to be tough to survive. To think that Simmo did it with a build like David Glascott makes it more impressive. He never flinched when it was his turn but I might have looked away on occasions as I feared the outcome.

It’s a sad day but I’m happy that Simmo played for the Carlton Footy Club. Well done on an exceptional career.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I first saw Simmo at the Carlton Social Club in 2003 when you could turn up to the club, have breakfast and watch the boys train. To think it’s 2020 now and he’s played himself into legendary status as a footballer. Well I’m pinching myself. Imagine how Simmo feels.

It’s a great journey filled with skill and endeavour. It doesn’t matter which era you think about footy is a brutal game. You have to be tough to survive. To think that Simmo did it with a build like David Glascott makes it more impressive. He never flinched when it was his turn but I might have looked away on occasions as I feared the outcome.

It’s a sad day but I’m happy that Simmo played for the Carlton Footy Club. Well done on an exceptional career.

You look at how skinny he is and its amazing, but then think Bradley, Doull and Simpson - all very similar builds (KB, Boomer etc). Alot to be said to be that skinny build.

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
HI all, like to say that whenever I watched a Carlton game it was mostly always Kade that stood out as a player, he played for the team first, skillful, fearless and inspirational. Definitely a player that was one of my favorites of all time to wear a Navy blue jumper (and that's saying something), actually he was more than that, Kade will always be considered a true great of the game.

Bluezer

Senior List
Jun 9, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Every time Simmo wore our jumper he left nothing out there. Worked harder than everyone else, covered teammates when they needed help, went back with the flight without hesitation, put his body on the line time and time again, kicked some glorious running goals, and, fooled opponents for years faking to kick on his right. The man is a legend and I hope he never has to buy a beer again.

Thank you Simmo.

You are a puppy Lance

Now I can call all the players... Including the oldest "a good kid"

It will be interesting to see how go without Kade... It hasn't been something we have had to worry about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Celtics, AC Milan
heart and soul of the Carlton Football Club.

people around the same as age as Simmo, like me, feel like we've grown up with him. I was in year 12 when he first started - I've lived my entire adulthood watching Simmo on the weekend. I took a keen interest in him from early in his career as a family member of mine who played a lot of footy at another AFL club played juniors and U/18s with him. Without a doubt my favourite Carlton player of the last 20 years and the rock of this football club through some dark times. He deserved more success than what we could offer him but he retires an absolute great of this football club and history will remember him as the heart and soul player of this era....and he's been around for the whole era.

God bless you Simmo, you are a star. He deserved a full MCG for his last game but 2020 was not to be, still a gun to the very end and he goes out still contributing at 36. What more could he have given us.

Last edited:

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
heart and soul of the Carlton Football Club.

people around the same as age as Simmo, like me, feel like we've grown up with him. I was in year 12 when he first started - I've lived my entire adulthood watching Simmo on the weekend. I took a keen interest in him from early in his career as a family member of mine who played a lot of footy at another AFL club played juniors and U/18s with him. Without a doubt my favourite Carlton player of the last 20 years and the absolute rock of this football club through some dark times. He deserved more success than what we could offer him but he retires an absolute great of this football club and history will remember him as the heart and soul player of this era....and he's been around for the whole era.

God bless you Simmo, you are an absolute star. He deserved a full MCG for his last game but 2020 was not to be, still a gun to the very end and he goes out still contributing at 36. What more could he have given us.
one of the greats that played in the right team!

Edit, he is a shining example that you don't have to be a beefcake to play AFL at the highest level and for the longest time.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
A piece of the furniture. Spewin he's not going around again. Deserved to play his last game in a final in front of the Blues faithful.

Hope it was genuinely his decision to make and he's comfortable with it. That's the only thing that will console me.

Teague was spot on " This club simply could not have asked for any more from him and for that we will forever be greatful"

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
A piece of the furniture. Spewin he's not going around again. Deserved to play his last game in a final in front of the Blues faithful.

Hope it was genuinely his decision to make and he's comfortable with it. That's the only thing that will console me.

Would have loved to see him off in a final, but statistics show this was never likely for him :'(. Some records you dont want

First time I've cried in years. Legitimately heartbroken. I have never known the Carlton football club without Simmo. Don't know what to do with myself.
ya big ol doofus......

Oct 9, 2009
CR0
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
Pound for pound the toughest player ever to play for the Blues?

I loved him so much that I named my first born son after him.

Commitment!!!

And bloody good question.

Probs weighs the same as Sticks' left thigh.

blueycarlton

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2008
carnegie
AFL Club
Carlton
Just a shame he wasnt our captain, when the opportunity was there.

Left nothing out there. Well done on a great career. If you look up heart & soul, there would be a picture of Simpson.
Simmo has the guts, skill, and determination that some other Carlton leaders are lacking, he should have been Carlton captain a long time ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back