Preview Rnd 18 - Carlton v Brisbane Sat 19th Sept 7.40PM @ Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

You need to know before you start trading players or the club? The club would know who is staying even if the official paperwork hasnt been done (as in the 3 you've listed).

So you’re saying the deals are done but can’t yet be announced?
I’d want to have the players locked in before targeting players via trade or draft.
What if we don’t go for a ready made inside mid because we think we have Setters signed up, but someone pounces with a bigger offer and he leaves?
I’m not saying it will happen, but nothing is official until it’s in writing.

So you’re saying the deals are done but can’t yet be announced?
I’d want to have the players locked in before targeting players via trade or draft.
What if we don’t go for a ready made inside mid because we think we have Setters signed up, but someone pounces with a bigger offer and he leaves?
I’m not saying it will happen, but nothing is official until it’s in writing.

We'll have to wait and see but dont be surprised when list sizes are announced that a slew of contracts will be signed.....just a coincidence.

We'll have to wait and see but dont be surprised when list sizes are announced that a slew of contracts will be signed.....just a coincidence.

I agree that discussions would have been had already, but not sure what the holdup is with players clearly in our best 22 - ie Setters, Willo and Gibbons.
List sizes may be cut, but that wouldn’t influence decisions on those guys. If they’ve agreed to terms just announce it.
Obviously holding off on players such as Polson, Lang, etc until we know the list size is prudent list management.

I agree that discussions would have been had already, but not sure what the holdup is with players clearly in our best 22 - ie Setters, Willo and Gibbons.
List sizes may be cut, but that wouldn’t influence decisions on those guys. If they’ve agreed to terms just announce it.
Obviously holding off on players such as Polson, Lang, etc until we know the list size is prudent list management.
Probably not list size for who we sign but how much money we have to spread over what the number of players will be.

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

I have an idea lets just go all in and play as hard as we can. Last game so leave everything on the ground no soft tackles. Every player should be on notice its not about the scoreboard its about the effort. If we dont win at least make the Bears earn it.

I have an idea lets just go all in and play as hard as we can. Last game so leave everything on the ground no soft tackles. Every player should be on notice its not about the scoreboard its about the effort. If we dont win at least make the Bears earn it.

All we ask is that the players do this for 2 hours once a week. That’s 2 hours out of 168 hours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if the Lions might rest some players given they have now locked up a spot in the top 2.

We don't rest players. Hasn't happened at all this year, if they are not injured they play. Given the following week is a week off can't see this being the first time we rest a player.

Marchbank and Silvagni are clearly not available as per advice from the club previously, so not sure why some are inserting them into their sides for this game.

If Martin is ready, he comes back in. If Betts is retiring, he should be selected. If he's not, I'd rest him. Murphy will play because it's Simmo's last game.

I'm not looking to throw a whole team of youngsters to the wolves so wouldn't rest any of our prime movers, but I would make changes.

Out: Docherty (injured), Fisher (injured), Betts (managed), McGovern (omitted)

In: Martin, Philp, Ramsay, Kennedy

Plowman Weitering Simpson
Williamson Jones Ramsay

Walsh Cripps O'Brien
Casboult Setterfield Cuningham

Philp Kennedy Martin
Gibbons McKay De Koning

Murphy Newnes Petrevski-Seton Curnow

I want Casboult to be first ruck, with De Koning a forward ruck. I want Levi to get his hands on the ball in the middle of the ground and make the opposition ruck accountable. TDK can jump but our midfield doesn't win it anyway, so we can set up to win it off their ruck and Levi can use his bulk to hurt.

I'm looking at a more mobile forward setup by playing smaller across half forward. Kennedy has strong hands and is a dead eye kick for goal. People worried about his defensive running don't have to worry as much at half forward and he's in for McGovern who hasn't exactly been racking up the miles either.

Philp is quick and can play a defensive half forward role and apply forward pressure when the ball hits the ground as well. Ramsay is also quick and has a good kick. The knock on him is that he often doesn't lower his eyes. He played a lot of junior footy across half back so if he can be smarter, his pace and kicking is an asset.

I've started LOB where he belongs, on a wing, but I know his fitness base is not there. Fortunately 3 of my bench players can rotate on to the wing so it's not such a huge deal.

The last big change is Cuningham on to the ball. Everyone wants to see it again, there's no better opportunity than a dead rubber.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back