Coach NMFC Senior Coach Rhyce Shaw - Ben Buckley announces NMFC & Shaw will part ways immediately

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I actually see Shaw being so despondent and gutted in the media as a positive.

He's genuinely upset and now him and Brady can go about fixing this club up with no 'jokey matey' attitude.

Ruthless for not only our future, but their own careers too as they've been hired to deliver and need to.

Let's see how it unfolds but again, his frustration is obvious - just like us.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
2020 and we will never know

Would it have made any difference having 6 day breaks between games, players living in their own homes, training and playing on familiar grounds, routines, eating, recovery...

Maybe our group just couldn’t deal with it and losses compounded things.

2021 will be very interesting

Thats wat I would rather hear

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think Shaw has changed the game plan to expose where our players are at. Defensively especially.

Our long term issue of being unable to run both ways is going to end soon.

You can be a zippy offensive machine (Polec) and be that cherry, but if you can't cover your man when the margin is 1 point and a kick towards your man decides the game, what is the point of leaving those issues unsolved?

This is the season we needed to have and I'm glad that some players have been exposed. How can you improve if you can't observe the weaknesses of some players without a game plan that can expose that?

Like Shaw said midway through the season after another loss, "we are going to find out.. about some players".

I agree Shaw has made some errors. But the complete refusal to cover your man? That's on the players.

It looks like the list is in worse shape than it actually is but I'm sure it will improve dramatically next year.

Some players will be shown the doors and they know who they are.

Shaw has had enough of the sugar coating and wallpapers.
He may have, he may have put it out there to see who has ticker and who isnt one dimensional.. the lack of confidence in pressers, the depressive states like he has taken a box of Xanax when aswering questions doesnt suit the argument at hand. If it was the case the press conference would be full of confidence and authoritarianism.. its not.. Its rather the opposite

edit:2020 has been a campaigner of a year for every campaigner in the WORLD! Im not taking too much out of 2020, infact.. I’ll probably forget about this year as fast as I can

Last edited:

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
2020 and we will never know

Would it have made any difference having 6 day breaks between games, players living in their own homes, training and playing on familiar grounds, routines, eating, recovery...

Maybe our group just couldn’t deal with it and losses compounded things.

2021 will be very interesting

Thats wat I would rather hear
I have complete faith in the best 22.. the best 30 players if the spine is on the park. If they are and we are completely uncompetitive again, unfortunately, being a “top bloke” doesnt win games

Not really but that’s the reality we’re in.

The reality is that we under-performed. Significantly. For whatever reason(s).

It's not realistic to conclude that "nothing he really says from this point on holds much validity ..." just because he didn't foresee the under performance.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There's no player on the North list that "completely refuses" to cover their opponent. Get a little too loose that they can get done on the turnover? Sure.

You're a good poster mate, but ease up a tad on the rhetoric in this instance.

Why?

How can the coach have kicking players heads in when he utilizes a tactic of allowing the opposition an unmarked opponent behind the ball??!!

That's contradiction 101 straight up right there!!

IMO, these "accountability" rants are 95% bull....pause...sh*t.

Agreed. They're a massive cope and they never, never, ever touch the fact that we've got donuts going on forward of the ball.

I'm not convinced he's playing some 9D chess or whatever. I see a game plan that will rarely, if ever kick a winning score.

Whether he learns from this year's plan and adjusts next year will determine whether he makes it as a coach. I have faith that he will, because I'm an optimist and a supporter. I saw what he was able to do last year and loved it. He needs to draw from that well again, at least.

But I find it highly unlikely that getting flogged and demoralised each week, having a non existent forward structure and barely scoring for quarters on end was some genius master plan to teach 'the unaccountable' a lesson.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’m very pro Rhyce, but he’s gotta cut out the “injury” excuse for mine. We get it Rhyce, we’ve had a bad run of injuries. You don’t need to mention it 3 times in a press conference.
Shaw is as bad as most posters on here in regard to looking for excuses and trying to say..we coulda been a contender... its like he reads posts on here before he speaks with the media.

It was telling that when Brady spoke to the press a few weeks back he didn't mention injuries at all.

We have the right guy in Brady making the calls to rejuvenate the list - Shawry says he learnt alot this year - he needs to keep on learning quickly if he wants a long career as a senior coach.

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I guess what will be interesting is that we'll be a bit of a rarity in terms of coaching appointments these days.

A coach in the last year of his contract, coming of a poor season, with no runs on the board, with a mediocre list and no expectation.

Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. But it would be interesting to know what will be expected from Rhyce in the first 2/3 of next year to entertain an extension.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The fact he keeps mentioning injuries is concerning IMO. Rightly or wrongly I take that as him believing that with a good run of injuries next year, a lot of our issues go away.

There is varying levels of opinion on this board about how much injuries contributed to our demise this season. From my perspective there was only 1 absolutely critical long term injury this year, and that was Ben Cunnington. Him playing would have likely influenced the outcome of some games, but doesn’t stop us from finishing bottom 4. Sure missing some of the talented kids for periods may have hurt a bit, but realistically TT isn’t making any difference in the belting we received from Freo on Saturday. Same could be said for the couple of fringe best 22 players that have missed (eg Turner). Ziebell and Brown are interesting ones, obviously both proven senior players, but both seem to be shells of their former selves with the current game plan, Brown had minimal impact prior to his injury and Ziebell has been worse.

We’ve had a bad run of injuries in 2020, but to believe our season would have played out considerably differently if we were immune to injury, is just delusional thinking.

The reality is that we under-performed. Significantly. For whatever reason(s).

It's not realistic to conclude that "nothing he really says from this point on holds much validity ..." just because he didn't foresee the under performance.
I did....as did others here.

Performance, team selection, playing our best player injured and over rating our list falls on him.

I did....as did others here.

Performance, team selection, playing our best player injured and over rating our list falls on him.

Right, you saw 17th. Sure.

Anyway, my issue with you is how you absolutely revel in the misery. When things are crap with North, you're always up and about. The worse we are, the louder you crow.

Anyway, my issue with you is how you absolutely revel in the misery. When things are crap with North, you're always up and about. The worse we are, the louder you crow.
I have no issue with anyone...it’s an internet forum....say whatever you want.

and no I’m not having a grand ol time whilst we’re a s**t team.

It sucks.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

Since when wasn't this poster a miserable prick?

It's a walking advertisement for Prozac.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Wtf are you on about - the worse we are the louder YOU crow - about the excuses, the weather, the injuries, the AFL is corrupt etc etc.

Just stop with the repetitive dribble - we understand you accept the coach, the club, the board can do no wrong - accept that many on here don't play the sycophant like yourself.

He’s tactically inept offensively.

There is zero offensive system.

It’s putrid.
Fair observation, not one I put a lot of weight in given the total circumstances of this year as a whole.

Given you may be right though, how should we fix this?

Back