Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Great article. I figured as much. I remember last year when it was mentioned he wanted to leave, there was talk about family issues. And this year I began to have a vibe that maybe things had changed in that area. It happens. 2020 has been a very strange, very long (January feels like about 18 months ago lol ) year.

Happy to see things with his family has gotten better, his mate has moved to Sydney; which makes it easier. Kinda like you have something from home away from home.

Next, his GF should move up.

No credit is needed, I just had this feeling that he was not going to leave. Call it a gut feeling watching him earlier in the year. I'm just thrilled this can finally be put to bed.

There have been darts thrown in the dark about Horse's relationship with players over the last few years. Apparently the club's been seconds away from a player revolt for years.

Was there a rumour thrown about re Papley though?

Tesla Tenet

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Carltank have asked 'Knightmare' if Will Papley is any good? Preparing for some more attempted poaching in 2 years!

Port did it with George's brother Cameron a few years ago (Hewitt).

Carltank have asked 'Knightmare' if Will Papley is any good? Preparing for some more attempted poaching in 2 years!

Port did it with George's brother Cameron a few years ago (Hewitt).
Carlton getting their recruiting advice from bigfooty posters would explain a lot.

Should be the Pratt / Hudson medal

maybe, though enough rate Coleman the best , I’ll take people’s word for it

They should almost give out a medal if a forward kicks 10 goals in a game nowadays

Back