Status
Not open for further replies.

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
ROOKIE ROBBERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The AFL world has come together in its outrage over the naming of the round 17 rising star nomination.

Fans of certain clubs are often dismayed when their youngster isn’t the one announced as the weekly recipient of the award.

But on Tuesday night the entire football community joined as one as they were left seeing red after Adelaide rookie Lachie Sholl wasn’t named as the NAB rising star for round 17.
Sholl was electric against Carlton, finishing the game with 24 disposals and two goals to his name. But the nominee instead went to Collingwood’s Isaac Quaynor.
Towards the end of AFL seasons the nominees factor in a player’s entire body of work from the season, but that didn’t sit well with fans and players who were dumbfounded Sholl’s stunning game didn’t net him the nomination.

Wow, that's so shitty. Ae they trying to make young Isaac feel like crap or what?

ROOKIE ROBBERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The AFL world has come together in its outrage over the naming of the round 17 rising star nomination.

Fans of certain clubs are often dismayed when their youngster isn’t the one announced as the weekly recipient of the award.

But on Tuesday night the entire football community joined as one as they were left seeing red after Adelaide rookie Lachie Sholl wasn’t named as the NAB rising star for round 17.
Sholl was electric against Carlton, finishing the game with 24 disposals and two goals to his name. But the nominee instead went to Collingwood’s Isaac Quaynor.
Towards the end of AFL seasons the nominees factor in a player’s entire body of work from the season, but that didn’t sit well with fans and players who were dumbfounded Sholl’s stunning game didn’t net him the nomination.
Not sure if that's a quote from anywhere but if it is, the franchise's insistence that their views and outrage are widely held in consensus is so quintessentially Crowish. In reality, no one else cares bar them; and it says it all that this is the biggest shot any of their leaders have fired all year.

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not sure if that's a quote from anywhere but if it is, the franchise's insistence that their views and outrage are widely held in consensus is so quintessentially Crowish. In reality, no one else cares bar them; and it says it all that this is the biggest shot any of their leaders have fired all year.

Relativity

Premiership Player
Oct 28, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port
Sorry, but as a female who has been sexually assaulted twice in my life time I do not hold this view. It is very easy as a male to hold such a view. I was 18 the first time and 24 the second time, neither time did I ask for what occurred. Imagine going to bed on your own and hours later waking up to find someone in your bed with something occurring that you did not consent to. Thankfully I have have moved on with my life, but it is something I will never forget Ben though it was 15 years ago. It is something that I hope that my daughters never have to go through.

My comment was in no way intended to offend you and I apologise if that is the case. What you went through should never happen to anyone. I too have daughters. I would ordinarily debate the issue of "innocent until proven guilty" but will abstain out of respect.

gbear

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 27, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
My comment was in no way intended to offend you and I apologise if that is the case. What you went through should never happen to anyone. I too have daughters. I would ordinarily debate the issue of "innocent until proven guilty" but will abstain out of respect.
No problem. Please just remember that many of us do not have the courage to seek justice and will live with the scars. It takes substantial evidence to even be charged with sexual assault compared to other offences, so at the end of the day it will be up to a jury to decide.

By speaking up all these later I am hoping to change attitudes, so that my daughters and your daughters do not have to live in a world where unwanted sexual advances and assault Among other offences are considered acceptable by society.

70sDinosaur

Premiership Player
May 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's pretty common for politicians and others in high profile positions to be stood down (usually with full pay) when facing serious criminal charges, pending the resolution of the case. That seems to be a fair balance between protecting the integrity/reputation of their profession and respecting their right to the presumption of innocence. I can't see why this procedure shouldn't apply in the case of the Collingwood player.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If the crows players played with as much passion as they are currently displaying on Twitter, perhaps they may not be winning the spoon this year
To be fair this is almost as bad as Lever losing his best young player award...

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Sorry, but as a female who has been sexually assaulted twice in my life time I do not hold this view. It is very easy as a male to hold such a view. I was 18 the first time and 24 the second time, neither time did I ask for what occurred. Imagine going to bed on your own and hours later waking up to find someone in your bed with something occurring that you did not consent to. Thankfully I have have moved on with my life, but it is something I will never forget Ben though it was 15 years ago. It is something that I hope that my daughters never have to go through.
Thanks for sharing! I detest any sort of violence towards women and children, and to me, the "boys club" mentality of the AFL and its CEO is an embarrassment! And most male supporters need massive re-educating on the subject!

As for any AFL player charged with such an offence he has to be stood down on full pay until the matter is resolved - No question! He can still have a presumption of innocence, but he cannot play AFL as if nothing was the matter. (Note: To be charged, there has to be sufficient evidence of a crime!) Everything De Goey does on-field is tainted, and the same too with the Pies. Hats off to Sydney, and I disagree with some posters here who say that Sydney wouldnt do it if the player was a star & they were featuring in finals.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
'twas Gunston, IIRC
Correct

1600205590060.png

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Lol "AFL world blows up!!", followed by his evidence of a bunch of tingles players and ex-coaches making twitter posts.

On behalf of the AFL world I'd say two things:
1. Congrats Isaac Quaynor, deserved winner.
2. Who in the flying * is lackie sholl?

mynameissilver

All Australian
Aug 10, 2017
Queensland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Tibbs wrote(Note: To be charged, there has to be sufficient evidence of a crime!)

While I do concur with the sentiments here this is actually incorrect. Police can charge based on a victims statement, or if they think a crime has been committed. Plenty of examples of not enough groundwork being done prior to a charge being laid. Then the accused and his or her families go through absolute hell for 1 to 2 years waiting for their day in court to prove their innocence. Lots of false victim statements get made. It works both ways. It's not all NCIS tv out there.

GoPorts

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Fair bit of bitterness that Sholl didn’t get the rising star nom this week
It's pretty much all they have at West Lakes. Bottomed out and have had one junior player finally put in a good game so they immediately want a pat on the back and a gold star to tell everyone how great the future looks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back