Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 3 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2003
Kennel
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
LOL
I can accept criticism of Bevo for things that he has done even though most of it is speculative eg has he written off Schache?
But when he gets criticised for not developing someone who hasn’t been drafted yet it’s getting ridiculous.
He has done pretty well with Naughton given almost no one was suggesting he be played forward.
And he has done all right with some perennial battlers over his coaching career. Remember the GF hero Picken who was a tagger before Bevo arrived.
LOL,

Let me know who how leading goal kickers and tally every year since 2016? How may key forwards there?

Why has Bruce failed so miserably this year? Is it just fitness or is it forward entries and how we structure up?

Naughton is a 1 in a generation player who was a star in his first few games but would he ever kick 50 goals in a Bevo fwd line?

My concern is our game plan and forward entries. It been a problem since 2016 and this is where my concern is with JUH. It must be frustrating as hell to be a 192cm plus fwd at the DOGS and it could limit his development. The other concern I have is could he be too flamboyant for Bevo? Have no idea his personality but Bevo likes a certain type of player.

Last edited:

bullish23

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2002
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
I was informed last year Smith had no interest in joining the dogs. None.
At the time the GC was the most likely destination if he left the Hawks.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I wouldn't go there now personally. He'll be 32 by the time next season comes around and I think he's dropped off a bit this year. I'd rather stick with a Lipinski or Vandemeer on the wing who both have significant upside.
Still an immediate improvement on what we have, and gives us a couple more years for our second wing to develop and eventually take over. I am all for any list changes that result in improvement

HELMET!

Senior List
Jul 10, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I just don't get the theory behind continually keeping guys like Porter on the list. It's all well and good to keep a popular guy on the list who is actually on the fringe of selection, especially in a position of need (which is why I'd keep Trengove), but an inside mid who has played 1 game and is behind Bont, Macrae, Libba, Dunkley, Lipinski, West, Jong, Wallis et al?

I'd move on him, Gowers, Dickson etc and bring in new guys to try and find someone who will force their way into our best team.
I think he's gone, especially if the lists are cut. Not sure if I'm correct but didn't he have a decent injury that kept him out for a fair chunk early on in his career? That may have kept him around a little longer.

Either way I agree that we tend to keep guys on our list for to long that won't make it. If the coaches rated them, good or not, they would get a game.

Bulldogs85

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
NBA- Houston Rockets
Still an immediate improvement on what we have, and gives us a couple more years for our second wing to develop and eventually take over. I am all for any list changes that result in improvement
A Hawthorn fan over on their broad said that Brisbane lions have offered Isaac Smith a 3 year contract And a Melbourne club has offered 2 year contract

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A Hawthorn fan over on their broad said that Brisbane lions have offered Isaac Smith a 3 year contract And a Melbourne club has offered 2 year contract
Yeah I was hearing 2 year contracts from Melbourne sides. Would shock me if someone offered 3, unless that 3rd year was a coaching role

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My tidbit is Josh will not be at the club next year
Interesting.

But who wants him? The interstate clubs are clearly out. And apart from Chris Grant no one in Melbourne wanted him a couple of years ago and Schache's stock has got worse since then.

Unless we pay someone to take him?

Or part pay his contract out like a Boyd settlement?

Shocking recruitment decision by Grant. You just can't expect talented blokes like Schache to click a switch and become competitive beasts - they don't have it in them and never will..

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Interesting.

But who wants him? The interstate clubs are clearly out. And apart from Chris Grant no one in Melbourne wanted him a couple of years ago and Schache's stock has got worse since then.

Unless we pay someone to take him?

Or part pay his contract out like a Boyd settlement?

Shocking recruitment decision by Grant. You just can't expect talented blokes like Schache to click a switch and become competitive beasts - they don't have it in them and never will..

Bombers will take him I reckon. Being competitive is not a prerequisite to join that club.

I hope the club goes hard for Adam Saad

We can then deploy JJ in the forward half ;)

JJ streaming into forwardline in the first quarter against Hawks was a sight to behold....
Ed Richards is a natural 'behind the ball' player.

If we want to play JJ ahead of the ball, we can do it without trading. Vandermeer & JJ rotating half forward/wing gives us real pace on the outside. I'd prefer a genuine wingman, but that could work as well.

it Is weird that Bevo writes off some players off and banishes them but perennial battlers who are not AFL standard are given about 5 years to prove they still are not AFL standard. Schache can make it in a team with structure, a good coach and a sound game plan. He has good leading patterns, high footy iq, good skills. He is not naturally aggressive but has Improved in that regard, hence the concussions he has suffered in pack situations.

i am very concerned Bevo will write off JUH. The kid will struggle in our fwd line like all others. Its the way we move the ball and is the reason Bevo will struggle to win another flag. He is a great motivator but lacks too much on the game plan and tactical side of the game. We may have 4 of the top 10 players in the game in 2023 (Bont, Smith, Naughts, JUH) but he will alway be behind the elite coaches in the AFL and will and not adapt to be a consistent top 4 team
Schache hasn't fired much of a shot at two clubs now.
He's far too meek to be a KPF, and doesn't have the burst speed to get separation from his opponent. he does have elite endurance for a big man, but really he plays as a soft mid-sizer and Bailey Dale plays that role.

Trengove, Suckling and Dickson off the books would free up some okay amount of cash?
And Wood's new deal will be on substantially less at a guess. He basically signed his last deal after being AA in 2015 and a premiership captain in 2016.
Schache was a trade in on probably a decent deal as well.

We don't know what the cap is next year though. By rumour, GWS would struggle without a cap reduction so they'll have to shed a few players. Caldwell/O'Halloran I'd ask about, none of the senior players would consider us though due to the genuine hatred between the playing groups.

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hearing Geelong will go hard at Daniher this off-season.
Sounds like there could be a lot of key forward movement this off-season with lots of clubs interested in the same players. We just have to hope the big cards fall early enough that guys like Josh can get where they need to go.

flipper83

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He had insane burst from congestion (like Smith) in juniors, and was a very strong tackler. I'd hope he can demonstrate the same in seniors
Didn't know about the burst speed, haven't really seen it the few times I've seen him play.
I know he's a good tackler and goes in hard but not sure if that's going to work for him at his size.
Do you think he could play as an outside mid or small defender because I just can't see him making on the inside?

flipper83

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Everyone writing off schache way too early has been injured half the year is still young as , will be a mistake to let him go, I don't think we will there are 10 to let go before him anyway
I think he can still be a decent AFL player and will do well in a team with a better system for moving the ball but he couldn't get a game this year despite our forward struggles and we're adding another highly rated tall forward at the end of the year so I think his papers are stamped.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Didn't know about the burst speed, haven't really seen it the few times I've seen him play.
I know he's a good tackler and goes in hard but not sure if that's going to work for him at his size.
Do you think he could play as an outside mid or small defender because I just can't see him making on the inside?
He was a good utility in juniors, seemed to play well all over the ground so probably could go alright in defence. Who knows really though, could be like Gardner where he needs a run at it before starting to really show his strengths in seniors. Either way, I don't see a future for him in consistent inside midfield rotations but could be wrong

He was a good utility in juniors, seemed to play well all over the ground so probably could go alright in defence. Who knows really though, could be like Gardner where he needs a run at it before starting to really show his strengths in seniors. Either way, I don't see a future for him in consistent inside midfield rotations but could be wrong
If there's one junior player to come in and start taking inside mid rotations, it's Rhylee West. He'd be well preferred to Porter. Jong would be ahead of Porter too.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If there's one junior player to come in and start taking inside mid rotations, it's Rhylee West. He'd be well preferred to Porter. Jong would be ahead of Porter too.
Yeah West is the main reason I don't see Porter getting a run as an inside mid. Jong seems to play on the wing more these days, and is injured more often than not, so is less likely to keep Porter out than West is.

Porter's future is either as a defender, outside mid or half forward. He's versatile so could really give any of them a red hot crack, but he's nothing more than a base salary speculative player at this stage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back