List Mgmt. 2020 List Management II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Setterfield is really underrated. Has improved this year and applies a ton of pressure. I think he goes unnoticed because of the style of game he plays. Has averaged a team high 9 tackles this season, 16 disposals and 4 clearances a game (2 Centre and 2 Stoppage) for context Cripps has averaged 6 a game.

I do agree our midfield needs to move away from the senior players. For me you would have Ed Curnow or Cripps in the midfield not both at the same time with Setterfield and another of our kids be it Walsh (he mainly played Wing), Cunners, SPS, Fisher etc or even Martin.

I remember a stat a few weeks ago from Footy Classified showing our centre bounce attendance top 5 1 & 2 Cripps and Curnow (90%) 3. Setterfield (80%) 4. Murphy (60%) and 5 Jack Martin (30%). (Percentages taken from memory but around that)!

This mix really needs to change.

Agree with setterfield, goes under the radar. Also its not age that is necessarily important its also experience. This was basically his 2nd year of AFL footy. Coming along nicely. Had a bit of a slow start but shows he can get the ball inside and a bit out and good tackle numbers. Ball use was pretty good as well.

Here is my top 10 targets. Plays that can come straight in and have an instant impact.

1. Has to be Williams as a free agent he won't cost us pick and would be amazing in our side. The main thing I really like is he is not only a high quality HBF but has flexibility to play wing and inside mid.

2. Viney is a quality inside mid and a match winner. He would take a lot of pressure off of Cripps.

3. Wingard at the Hawks he just doesn't look as good as he did early days at Port but a forward set-up with him on one HFF and Martin on the other would be incredible.

4. Brayshaw from the Dee, pretty much the same reason as Viney. Melbourne have to many inside mids and not enough outside run. So I'll like to who we could shake loose.

5. Sheed seems to far down the pecking order at WC and probably under paid. We be our 2nd best mid behind Cripps and add experience and leadership.

6. Ladhams is the best young ruckman and can play forward. De Koning and Ladhams could be the best ruck duo for the next 10 years.

7. Stephenson the only reason I have him so low is because he's a Collingwood player and I hate watching them. But would be a great get for our forward line.

8. Breust is a dangerous small Forward but at 30 is a little bit to old.

9. Saad as a player should be higher on the list but the bombers are so hard to trade with.

10. Witherden would be the cheapest player on this list but could still be handy.

Obviously we are not going to add 10 new players but either 2-4 depending on the player would be a massive off season.

Here is my top 10 targets. Plays that can come straight in and have an instant impact.

1. Has to be Williams as a free agent he won't cost us pick and would be amazing in our side. The main thing I really like is he is not only a high quality HBF but has flexibility to play wing and inside mid.

2. Viney is a quality inside mid and a match winner. He would take a lot of pressure off of Cripps.

3. Wingard at the Hawks he just doesn't look as good as he did early days at Port but a forward set-up with him on one HFF and Martin on the other would be incredible.

4. Brayshaw from the Dee, pretty much the same reason as Viney. Melbourne have to many inside mids and not enough outside run. So I'll like to who we could shake loose.

5. Sheed seems to far down the pecking order at WC and probably under paid. We be our 2nd best mid behind Cripps and add experience and leadership.

6. Ladhams is the best young ruckman and can play forward. De Koning and Ladhams could be the best ruck duo for the next 10 years.

7. Stephenson the only reason I have him so low is because he's a Collingwood player and I hate watching them. But would be a great get for our forward line.

8. Breust is a dangerous small Forward but at 30 is a little bit to old.

9. Saad as a player should be higher on the list but the bombers are so hard to trade with.

10. Witherden would be the cheapest player on this list but could still be handy.

Obviously we are not going to add 10 new players but either 2-4 depending on the player would be a massive off season.

I think 2 metre Peter deserves a mention :p, would be a good potential replacement for Levi as has been mentioned and will likely not cost much.

Like the suggestion of Ladhams but I would consider Callum Coleman-Jones recent indiscretions aside is someone I have liked since his draft year. Would think we will likely take a fringe ruckman through trade and draft a project ruckman we went into 2020 with 3 ruckman and Levi. Considering Kruzer had ongoing injury issues it was very risky and we did actually only have 1 available ruckman in Pittonet early in the season.

5 players? 5 players straight into our starting 22?

For the club to do that, would strongly suggest that we don't like what we have.
Apart from Williams and Kelly, the rest don't make us particularly better and we still haven't addressed goal-kickers.
Add Williams, Kelly and Smith and I'll be kicking goals from row 10

Do we need to 'replace' Levi? With Curnow back next season and Pitt/TDK every chance to play tandem ruck (as appears to be a growing trend across the league) then we probably can cover for him.
I remember Collingwood trying- and failing - to fill the 'Leigh Brown role' after Brown retired. Some players are just unique and can't simply be replaced by another player. I reckon our Levi is another one of those.

Do we need to 'replace' Levi? With Curnow back next season and Pitt/TDK every chance to play tandem ruck (as appears to be a growing trend across the league) then we probably can cover for him.
I remember Collingwood trying- and failing - to fill the 'Leigh Brown role' after Brown retired. Some players are just unique and can't simply be replaced by another player. I reckon our Levi is another one of those.

I think we are 2-3 years off being a chance to play deep September.

Levi will be 33-35 by that time. So we need someone who can play Ruck/Fwd. I am not certain Pittonet is a number 1 ruck or a backup, so let's say TDK is number 1. Curnow or McKay I wouldn't want to ruck. I don't think Pittonet is a forward so he would be a bit of a liability if he isn't the number 1 ruck.

Considering the above we want to have someone on our list who is say 24-27 come 2021 and can play forward/ruck. So by the time we are a chance at number 17 we have someone in their prime to fill that role.

He's also comparing games under he same coach. The figures if you compare to last year include such a sh*t first half of the year the cub deemed it bad enough to sack the coach. You would hope our stats have improved compare to last year.

You can’t say that we haven’t improved on last year.

You could say Teague has stagnated, but judging a coach within his first 30 games would be equally as bizarre.

How do you figure?
We've gone from 6-5 and 95.5% to 7-9 and 95.6%

The 0.1% hardly covers that we're losing more than we're winning.

Back end of last year our average win margin was 14.5pts (122% of opp score) and average losing margin was 25.6 pts (75%).

This year our average win margin is 13.2pts (126%) and losing margin is 16.5pts (80%).

I've done the percentage as obviously point scoring is notably down this year with shorter quarters and seemingly more defenders playing better than forwards.

Our worst loss under Teague last year was 68 points (47%) while our worst this year is 31 pts (65%).

Our best win under Teague last year was 27pts (145%) while our best this year is 52pts (202%) or 33pts (222%) depending on if you go by points or percentage of opposition score.

Those are improvements, and while our win:loss ration may have dropped from 6:5 to 7:9, we've definitely been 'in' more games and even some of the bad ones haven't been 'horror show' bad on the scoreboard.

Surely we've learnt a hell of a lot from our close losses and we can take those learnings into 2021. It's hurt us that we can't really train any scenario stuff, closing games out and the like, and I really hope we do a metric s***tonne of work in the preseason around stopping opposition momentum and killing those 4+ goal swings.

That being said, despite being pretty ******* pissed about some of our performances recently, I still think we've improved on the 2nd half of last year and think if we can have a good 'uneventful' preseason after bringing in a couple of good best 22 additions then we'll be on.

He's also comparing games under he same coach. The figures if you compare to last year include such a sh*t first half of the year the cub deemed it bad enough to sack the coach. You would hope our stats have improved compare to last year.

Teague's results last year were ridiculously good given we were 1-11 and in shambles.

Looking at our W/L and % we haven't really improved on Teague's 11 games last year, but from where we came from it's still been a good rise. We're currently 12th and most people would have predicted us to finish 9-12th at the start of the year.

A few positive points outside the direct stats though for me:
  • IMO at least, our best footy we've played this year has been scintillating and the best footy we've played since 2011
  • We've won a lot more close games than we've lost this year so we're learning to win the close games - in recent years we lost more than we won
  • Finding some players and some players learning new positions eg Pitto/TDK/Setterfield/Walsh/Fisher

Also this is a hard year to judge with COVID-19's impact...I know all clubs have been affected, but some more than others and it's still not a normal year so hard to compare to last year.

I think Setterfield is really underrated. Has improved this year and applies a ton of pressure. I think he goes unnoticed because of the style of game he plays. Has averaged a team high 9 tackles this season, 16 disposals and 4 clearances a game (2 Centre and 2 Stoppage) for context Cripps has averaged 6 a game.

I do agree our midfield needs to move away from the senior players. For me you would have Ed Curnow or Cripps in the midfield not both at the same time with Setterfield and another of our kids be it Walsh (he mainly played Wing), Cunners, SPS, Fisher etc or even Martin.

I remember a stat a few weeks ago from Footy Classified showing our centre bounce attendance top 5 1 & 2 Cripps and Curnow (90%) 3. Setterfield (80%) 4. Murphy (60%) and 5 Jack Martin (30%). (Percentages taken from memory but around that)!

This mix really needs to change.

I know these are generally frowned upon, but the CD ranking points (SC) give a bit of an indication to how he's built up during the season (and they're a little more relevant when discussing possession accumulators/tacklers in the middle rather than other positions that involve more 'non stat' acts).

Green lines score each round, grey lines showing his average for the year. Setters building up nicely as the year went on, average up about 65pts from round 1.
1600218694677.png

Walsh too, although the curve appears a little flatter as it's condensed vertically to fit the higher individual round scores, average up bout 45 from rd1.
1600218855906.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Better yet, we could play the guy who has played his best footy off a hbf, off a hbf and transition him into the midfield if/when he develops that side of his game.
Nah, wasn't he named FF in the U18 AA squad? We should shift McKay to half back, play Weitering as a big bodied mid to give Cripps a chop out and give Kemp full forward!!

Nah, wasn't he named FF in the U18 AA squad? We should shift McKay to half back, play Weitering as a big bodied mid to give Cripps a chop out and give Kemp full forward!!

And Walsh at FB, so he can run the length of the ground and kick goals.

Literally can't lose with that set up.

Merrett is more what we need - A zippy inside/outside accumulator that has a bit of X-factor about him.
We don't need slow players whose principle attribute is kicking ability. We already have them but they can't make their way into the team.
We can ask about Merrett and rightly so and unless he genuinely doesn't want to play at Essendon, we'll get a resounding 'no' from Dodoro.

Have said it for a couple of years now; Essendon have too much of the same thing.....it may be a good thing, but you need a variety of types around the ground and the midfield is no different. i.e. We could have 22 Cripps in the same team but it wouldn't make us a better team.

Essendon could do with letting go of Merrett for the right trade, but the public humiliation for doing so, may be all too much for Dodoro, unless of course he gets trumped by the executive again.

You can’t say that we haven’t improved on last year.

You could say Teague has stagnated, but judging a coach within his first 30 games would be equally as bizarre.

We've improved on the year as whole - and even under teague. But the improvement under teague hasnt been that great and like last year, my complaints with him was player development. Last year he sacrificed too much player development to get wins (which we wanted) by playing Murphy/Cripps/Curnow in the centre 90% of the time. We still need to get others in there to develop their craft and also play players in better positions, namely Cuningham and SPS.

Back end of last year our average win margin was 14.5pts (122% of opp score) and average losing margin was 25.6 pts (75%).

This year our average win margin is 13.2pts (126%) and losing margin is 16.5pts (80%).

I've done the percentage as obviously point scoring is notably down this year with shorter quarters and seemingly more defenders playing better than forwards.

Our worst loss under Teague last year was 68 points (47%) while our worst this year is 31 pts (65%).

Our best win under Teague last year was 27pts (145%) while our best this year is 52pts (202%) or 33pts (222%) depending on if you go by points or percentage of opposition score.

Those are improvements, and while our win:loss ration may have dropped from 6:5 to 7:9, we've definitely been 'in' more games and even some of the bad ones haven't been 'horror show' bad on the scoreboard.

Surely we've learnt a hell of a lot from our close losses and we can take those learnings into 2021. It's hurt us that we can't really train any scenario stuff, closing games out and the like, and I really hope we do a metric s***tonne of work in the preseason around stopping opposition momentum and killing those 4+ goal swings.

That being said, despite being pretty ******* pissed about some of our performances recently, I still think we've improved on the 2nd half of last year and think if we can have a good 'uneventful' preseason after bringing in a couple of good best 22 additions then we'll be on.

Our last month has definitely left a sour taste in all our mouths, it has been terrible. Up to that point we had season above my expectations (as i presumed we would beat Sydney & Adelaide and maybe fluke a win). Yes we beat Sydney, but that was one of the worst games under teague......until the Adelaide game.

Overall the wins are in line with what i expected give or take (i never had us as a top 8 team)

Don't know too much about Merret apart from him being a decent accumulator.
Skill level on handballs and kicking?
2 way runner?

Why are we bothering comparing our % to previous years? Games are 20% shorter, playing out of hubs, no home games, etc. This season is more around individual player development than worrying about %'s.
I'd actually be more concerned about the stat with # of goals in a row that teams manage to score against us.

I am a big fan of Merret, but cannot see Essendon trading him. Can you imagine what Dodo will ask for him? Will want 2 first rounders! I know many disagree, but I think we should seriously look at Brad Crouch. I know he has had some injuries, but he is a good midfielder and will not cost us draft picks.

We've improved on the year as whole - and even under teague. But the improvement under teague hasnt been that great and like last year, my complaints with him was player development. Last year he sacrificed too much player development to get wins (which we wanted) by playing Murphy/Cripps/Curnow in the centre 90% of the time. We still need to get others in there to develop their craft and also play players in better positions, namely Cuningham and SPS.

The other thing to consider is that it's not just Teague.

It's about the team as a whole, and how they feel they're placed.

Last year we were shite, we got smashed semi-regularly, we lost more close games than we won. We sacked our coach, the new guy told the boys to have some more fun, and the players turned it around a bit.

This year, we didn't get smashed by anyone, we won more close games than we lost, and it wasn't until the end of the second last round of the year that we dropped out of calculations for finals. In a year where our coaching and suport staff got cut back, the players were getting paid less, they were living out of suitcases and training on fairways, and we didn't play a single game at home after R1. For a team that was only just starting to drag itself off the bottom of the ladder, this year held a lot of potential for us to fall apart.

I'm still disappointed at the reaction of the players after the Adelaide loss. That wasn't a side that actually thought finals were on the cards. Or if they did, they felt or were told whether they made it or not wouldn't matter in the big picture.

A couple of calculated acquisitions and another big preseason, and we should be right in the mix for a top 8 spot. And realistically, should be expecting to hold a top 8 spot for much of the year, not sneak in at the back end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back