List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
I wouldn't be going for Isaac Smith, I think we can cover the wing position from within ie. Zac Bailey, I also think Starcevich/Answerth could transition to the wing in a year or 2, or I'd prefer we trade in a wing option in a younger age bracket eg. Zac Williams/Harry Perryman.

Even though Smith has been an extremely good player he turns 32 before the end of this year and players can fall off the cliff quickly at that age, I would have preferred him to Birchall in the last off season though.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that it has primarily been hamstring injuries.
Hmmmm, vic winters compared to qld’s could be a factor. Sounds ridiculous but you never know.

Isaac Smith is an odd one and I’m a bit more cautious there.Two years ago I would have jumped at the chance no problems but he is just a tad too old for mine to be giving 3 years to.

Hmmmm, vic winters compared to qld’s could be a factor. Sounds ridiculous but you never know.

Isaac Smith is an odd one and I’m a bit more cautious there.Two years ago I would have jumped at the chance no problems but he is just a tad too old for mine to be giving 3 years to.
Agree 100%. Hodgee coming into the club was a master stroke but Birchall isn't working out in my opinion and I kinda think Smith would follow the same theme as Birchall. Plus the fact that we would need to use another list spot on a guy that is not a long term part of our journey.

Has there been any word on when the AFL will release the list sizes for next year?

Not only will it effect who we delist/trade but you’d assume it would effect who clubs would be willing to bring in as well, e.g how many injury prone players do clubs want to (potentially) carry etc and way up those pros and cons.

Interesting situation. Pretty sure he's been offered a one year contract at Geelong so don't think it would be as a DFA, but with the impending list reductions don't really see what use a pick beyond the second round this year will be to any team. He has some value for sure. If he didn't we wouldn't be interested in him. Future second round pick would be my ballpark for the trade.
I don't agree with that at all.

Here is a guy that has played 2 games in 3 years including none in 2019 and 2020 and you reckon he is worth a future second? :huh:

The amount of players that have played a lot more games and club's have assisted them get where they want to go for free as DFA or at the very least, worthless late round picks is occurring all the time i.e. Josh Walker and Tom Cutler last year.

Its obvious people are continuously blinded by a player that has been a high draft pick because based off Cockatoo's numbers, including the fact Geelong are only willing to offer him a one year deal on base money, should be testament to that.

Cockatoo will cost us next to nothing. Cats were going to delist anyway so they can't then turn around and ask for 3rd round pick. If we can get his body right and that's a massive ask - we might have a very good player on our hands.

He is the kind of player who at his best is an X factor who could be a very handy player coming on and off the bench for 5/10 min stints and causing some havoc. His father was a super player up in Darwin who played a little bit of footy for Port Adelaide in SANFL.

Worth the risk if he costs us next to nothing.
I haven’t read anything to suggest Geelong were/are going to delist Cockatoo.

The current speculation is that Geelong were only willing to offer a 1 year contract at the minimum AFL wage.

I don't agree with that at all.

Here is a guy that has played 2 games in 3 years including none in 2019 and 2020 and you reckon he is worth a future second? :huh:

The amount of players that have played a lot more games and club's have assisted them get where they want to go for free as DFA or at the very least, worthless late round picks is occurring all the time i.e. Josh Walker and Tom Cutler last year.

Its obvious people are continuously blinded by a player that has been a high draft pick because based off Cockatoo's numbers, including the fact Geelong are only willing to offer him a one year deal on base money, should be testament to that.

The two you suggested weren't getting games because they weren't good enough. Bit different if they weren't playing because of injuries

That being said Cockatoo doesn't have any value. Will be a worthless late pick

I haven’t read anything to suggest Geelong were/are going to delist Cockatoo.

The current speculation is that Geelong were only willing to offer a 1 year contract at the minimum AFL wage.

Minimum afl wage and 1 year contract also equates to getting nothing in a trade. If lists get reduced can't see how they would be keeping him - either way he won't be costing us much. Nor should he..

I don't want Daniher

1) Injury prone

2) body shape too much like Hippy.......I firmly believe there is room for only one string bean tall forward in any side

3) appalling inaccuracy in front of goal . Technique is just awful.

Cameron or Ben Brown a much better fit IMO

Yeah and Daniher can have some the worst body language, ranges from ebullient to indifferent. No on Cameron too, in fact a no to anyone who will need a lot of cash thrown at them to get them here, too destabilising imo and I really don't think we are that far off to look for a hail Mary. Brown if Norf don't ask the world or Casboult, either would suit me fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree 100%. Hodgee coming into the club was a master stroke but Birchall isn't working out in my opinion and I kinda think Smith would follow the same theme as Birchall. Plus the fact that we would need to use another list spot on a guy that is not a long term part of our journey.
I agree with you, in regards to Birchall and Smith on our list.

However I do view Birchall as a success, in terms of getting a long term injured player back up fit and healthy and able to compete at AFL level.

Minimum afl wage and 1 year contract also equates to getting nothing in a trade. If lists get reduced can't see how they would be keeping him - either way he won't be costing us much. Nor should he..
Jumping on the trade board, most Geelong supporters agree with you. Future third or fourth round pick are their suggestions.

Considering we’re possibly a finals team again next year, that’s a pick in the late 40’s or early 50’s.

With speculation that lists will be reduced over a couple of seasons now, and that teams will only have to take a minimum of two picks at the draft, a late third round pick is essentially worthless, unless we need points to match an academy bid.

Been trying to get Cockatoo for a few years. Unless another club comes in with a crazy offer he will be a Lion. His loyal but Cats can't compete with our tabled offer and he would be crazy to sign with them. Will be a good get and will replace Robbo on the wing going forward if he can get to his best. Fits our style of winger perfectly. A bit like Robbo in the way they play too with fantastic defensive efforts and attack on the ball and ball carrier.

Last edited:
Will be quite pissed if Smith comes here at 32 on a multiple year deal. To be frank It would lower my opinion of Fagan and I worry it might see some dissatisfaction in the ranks. We are not a Palm Beach FFS! Hodge worked. It was exactly what we needed at the time. I wasn't happy we replaced him with Birchall and I'm still not really. Perhaps he will have a couple of huge games in the finals to justify his recruitment. If we add Smith then........

Will be a good get and will replace Robbo on the wing going forward if he can get to his best. Fits our style of winger perfectly. A bit like Robbo in the way they play too with fantastic defensive efforts and attack on the ball and ball carrier.
Can't necessarily depend on him to stay fit, but between him, Berry, Bailey and Ah Chee it sounds like we have the wing covered after Robbo is gone. That frees us up to use our picks in this draft in pursuit of a KPF trade, and/or drafting whoever is the best player available. I support this move for that reason alone.

Pretty sure it’s just a speculative Suggestion because we need a Key Forward but our name has been mentioned as a possible destination for Jesse Hogan too.
It appears we are after them all, Daniher, Brown, Gunston, Hogan.
I can't see Fremantle being willing to part with Hogan unless we make a stupid offer. He's finally healthy again and their last game against North showed exactly how dangerous they can be with Hogan, Lobb and Taberner in the same forward line, with Hogan himself kicking 4 goals. They'll back their culture to get him right.

Cockatoo will cost us next to nothing. Cats were going to delist anyway so they can't then turn around and ask for 3rd round pick. If we can get his body right and that's a massive ask - we might have a very good player on our hands.

He is the kind of player who at his best is an X factor who could be a very handy player coming on and off the bench for 5/10 min stints and causing some havoc. His father was a super player up in Darwin who played a little bit of footy for Port Adelaide in SANFL.

Worth the risk if he costs us next to nothing.

We won't be delisting him as we have already offered him a contract so he can't be a DFA. That said while he has real talent he has very little trade value so you wont have to pay much-same as you did with McCarthy.

I really don't want another fading Hawthorn star from yesteryear

Hodge worked brilliantly because not only was he what we badly needed but he maintained his standards as a player.

He was undoubtedly best 22 for two years, whereas Birchall is fringe at best on my view.

Surely we couldn't now add I Smith as well and have both of them running around from week to week .

We are not a developing side anymore

Big finals, Grantd finals and Premierships for a sustained period should be our aim for the next 3-5 years and I can't see Birchall or Smith as part of that plan

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back