Toast Dogs beat Hawks : 76 - 40

Sharpiesadog

Team Captain
Sep 8, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Derby County
Thank goodness we didn't give over pick 6 for Chad Wingard. The footy gods looked after us and protected us against making a terrible mistake. Bailey Smith is already a significantly better player than Wingard, whose best is already behind him it seems.

Bullet dodged.
I agree, glad we didn’t give up pick 6 for him.

Still can’t help wondering how he would go with us if we had got him some other way though.

I think he is more of a cherry on top of the cake kind of player. Hawthorn need more cake at the moment, we could use a bit more cherry up forward, think he would have done well for us.

Every time time I see Jack Martin do something good for Carlton I sigh...

Don't know the accuracy of it, but some here have reported we were never going to give up pick 6 in the 2018 draft. If true it would have been a stretch for us to get a workable trade with Port but in the end Wingard made the call so it's all academic.

A trade that might have worked could have included our future (2019) first. That would have been the pick we used on Weightman which would probably have been a more reasonable bargaining chip. Jury is still out on Weightman but he's no Bailey Smith.

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Don't know the accuracy of it, but some here have reported we were never going to give up pick 6 in the 2018 draft. If true it would have been a stretch for us to get a workable trade with Port but in the end Wingard made the call so it's all academic.

A trade that might have worked could have included our future (2019) first. That would have been the pick we used on Weightman which would probably have been a more reasonable bargaining chip. Jury is still out on Weightman but he's no Bailey Smith.

No, but Weightman is going to be very very good.

Sep 27, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
New York Yankees

To be fair DW there's not many Bailey Smiths out there.... It's nuts to think what this kid has done in less than 2 years in the system. Can't wait to see what this kid be when he's in his prime!!

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Good win. Never looked in doubt which is rare for this team.

I like Gardner. He reminds me of Cordy. Going forward he's probably not the answer for our KPD problems but he's turning into a reliable player.

I feel the same way about Roarke Smith. Honest player who gives his all. Probably never going to be in the bests but could carve out a career with some luck.

Bonty was immense. His disposal let him down at times though.

Not sure I'd like Suckling in slippery conditions next week.

Gardner is a good player by the way he defiantly started badly but I put it down to this round 1 he was playing a position he hadn't played at AFL level before and had only played 2 games before that point as a forward and he got completely smashed in a team smashing that we all didn't expect to happen he wasn't the only poor performer but he was very singled out so it would of stayed on his mind come lockdown he was probably low on confidence due to it then with round 2 and the same unexpected smashing happening and him being poor again it would of f’ed his confidence completely, reckon his confidence was still a bit shot when he played against Brisbane but their was brief little signs. Then we won a game and it's seemed to start to turn around for him he looks like he's gained a sh*t ton of confidence the last 3-4 weeks and his disposal and efforts are way better, he fights for every contest even when he seems out of it and does little things that seem to go unnoticed like backing Keath in a duel or getting touches around the ground ball that really help us transition the ball back out if defence.

you are in desperate need of some full stops and commas!!

A very wise woman used to tell me "white space is also very important".

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians
To be fair DW there's not many Bailey Smiths out there.... It's nuts to think what this kid has done in less than 2 years in the system. Can't wait to see what this kid be when he's in his prime!!

I put my hand up , never saw the impact this kid has made pre draft.
Absolute gun.

May 27, 2002
Torquay
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
I put my hand up , never saw the impact this kid has made pre draft.
Absolute gun.

It wasn't just his football ability at under 18, which was already great. It was the relentless desire to be the best that he can be, borderline OCD mentality! Put that with a natural athletic ability and he is always going to achieve more than others.

She’s probably locked up for ‘hate speech’ now.

I did not see that spin on an old public service typist/secretary's rule coming :eek:

Different times.

Keath is from Shepparton, not South Australian, was just unfortunate enough to get drafted by the Crows.
Not quite in terms of being drafted. Keath was still having a crack at cricket at the time Adelaide recruited him. So he moved himself to Adelaide to play grade cricket there instead of Melbourne to try and force himself into the (theoretically weaker) SA shield team. Adelaide recruited him as a Cat B whilst he was still playing cricket, before that season even began. He got picked as an overager in couple of Futures Leagues game but wasn't picked for the SA team.

Have no idea how much Adelaide FC were involved in this process (ie I'm not sure if he was always going to have a crack at SA cricket before Adelaide recruited him, or keep playing Melbourne Premier cricket), but it was an arrangement that could have only been worked with them and Port, given Tassie doesn't have an AFL team and every other state team was too strong.

Substance

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 6, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
On JJ's 2nd goal he just sprints straight past 2 hawks when he was 10m behind, by the time he receives the handball from naughton he's 10m in front of them. We need to utilize that ability with him more. He's done as a half back flanker IMO. Been found out there since 2017. Put him half forward/wing.

Glaeken Oracle

Club Legend
Dec 3, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not quite in terms of being drafted. Keath was still having a crack at cricket at the time Adelaide recruited him. So he moved himself to Adelaide to play grade cricket there instead of Melbourne to try and force himself into the (theoretically weaker) SA shield team. Adelaide recruited him as a Cat B whilst he was still playing cricket, before that season even began. He got picked as an overager in couple of Futures Leagues game but wasn't picked for the SA team.

Have no idea how much Adelaide FC were involved in this process (ie I'm not sure if he was always going to have a crack at SA cricket before Adelaide recruited him, or keep playing Melbourne Premier cricket), but it was an arrangement that could have only been worked with them and Port, given Tassie doesn't have an AFL team and every other state team was too strong.

Thanks, that’s all correct, but the point I was making in response to another post was to clarify he is Victorian, not South Australian.

Back