Preview Round 18, 2020: St.Kilda v GWS - Gabba, Friday 18th September, 7:50PM AEST *MARSHALL 50TH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 52 64.2%
  • Giants

Votes: 29 35.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully Carlisle has taken his medicine. Whatever his attitude issue, he has suited up and played a reserves game and the simple fact is we need him this week.

In a different way the same goes for Hannebery. We need him. You sign up big players for these types of games and if he can come in and play a role to help us win it goes a long way to justifying the move.

Both players have to be certain ins.

I htink others have said that Dunstan will suit the slippery conditions, I totally agree! I would like to see him out there as well.

Out: Hind Kent Jones
In: Hannebery Carlisle Dunstan

Jeez we lose some pace there...

Pace is no good without the pill I suppose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too many players not doing enough in recent games, so Ratts has to pull the trigger on under-performers at the selection table, and also as coach, get the team game above the shoulders really working. IMO Butler is the only lock-in for the forward line, and the rest just need to do a whole lot more. Get the young guys in and take a punt- Bytel& Byrnes for Jones and Hind, and slot Marsh in somewhere.

Butler has been one of the blokes who’s form has fallen off a cliff in the last 3 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I hope -

In: Carlisle, Dunstan, Hannebery

Out: Jones, Kent, xxxx (5 other players had less than 10 disp, take your pick)

What they might do, their usual:

In: Marsh, Phillips

Out: Jones, Kent
The only problem with the obvious outs of Jones, Kent & Hind is that we lose all of our pace in one hit… not that it has been doing much for us lately mind you.

Kent was good against Hawthorn so may get a reprieve.

Hind shouldn't have come back in, so should go out for a missing tall back.

I'd be nervous about playing Hannebery, think Dunstan gets a nod otherwise Bytel.

One thought scares me a little, and maybe I'm not respecting our players enough here.

If things don't go our way early, I hope we keep fighting down to the last moment. With young players it's understandable if a few drop their heads and stop looking for that extra in their game to turn things around. I hope the leaders have their eye out for that and demand maximum from everyone until the final siren, even if they come off sounding like a flog.

Demand all in effort from start to finish, from each other and themselves and the game can turn even if it looks bleak. Don't give up.
Given how significantly our chances hinge on our margin and the Ess/Melb margin in the event we lose, I should hope we fight like f%*$ from siren to siren.

It hasn't helped Butler that the oppositions defenders have just been dominating in the air against us.

The ball has hit the ground plenty of times but there very rarely seems to be any of our smalls around. To me that suggests that they're not working hard enough to get back in F50 or they're playing too high up the ground. Lonie at least stayed at the feet of our talls last week. Kent & Butler seemed to be stuck 40-100m out from goal most of the game.

Last edited:
The only problem with the obvious outs of Jones, Kent & Hind is that we lose all of our pace in one hit… not that it has been doing much for us lately mind you.

Kent was good against Hawthorn so may get a reprieve.

Hind shouldn't have come back in, so should go out for a missing tall back.

I'd be nervous about playing Hannebery, think Dunstan gets a nod otherwise Bytel.

Yes some risk if they play Hannebery, but they might want to go all out - Elim final. Don't want to limp into finals with a loss and depending on other teams.

Kent had 2 hb v WCE.
Hind only 7 disp - but 4 tackles, 2 In50's, 2 Stoppage clearances & 3 Score Inv - in less GT than Kent. Hind's pace & hurried game style could worry defenders?
Can play half back if needed.
(AFL FootyWire stats)

Last edited:
Gresh has been ruled out for the season I believe.

The Geary as the defensive forward one is interesting. It feels like the Geelong game has been used as a justification for binning it but it was just the wrong match up for Geary. Against a small running defender he can do the job. Against a taller intercept defender he cannot.

So I'd be open to Geary going forward to play on Williams, but absolutely not on Haynes.

I'm not sure what that does to other players like Battle.

Gresh has been ruled out for the season I believe.

The Geary as the defensive forward one is interesting. It feels like the Geelong game has been used as a justification for binning it but it was just the wrong match up for Geary. Against a small running defender he can do the job. Against a taller intercept defender he cannot.

So I'd be open to Geary going forward to play on Williams, but absolutely not on Haynes.

I'm not sure what that does to other players like Battle.

Agree, and it has the additional benefit of getting him far away from the backline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, Hannebery, Carlisle & Roberton would be a massive injection of experience.
I think they must be deciding between Carlisle and Robbo. If that's the case I has to be Carlisle surely with the Giants key backs.

I wouldn't be opposed to both playing but not sure who comes out.

I think they must be deciding between Carlisle and Robbo. If that's the case I has to be Carlisle surely with the Giants key backs.

I wouldn't be opposed to both playing but not sure who comes out.
I guess geary replaces one of our forwards who goes out, Hannebery - Jones, Clark more midfield and Carlisle & roberton take up the slack in defence... not bad on paper, but Clark hasn’t quite been able to seize his opportunities in the middle so far, for long enough periods anyway.

Still need 3 out though!

The ball has hit the ground plenty of times but there very rarely seems to be any of our smalls around. To me that suggests that they're not working hard enough to get back in F50 or they're playing too high up the ground. Lonie at least stayed at the feet of our talls last week. Kent & Butler seemed to be stuck 40-100m out from goal most of the game.
They are definitely getting up the ground too far, and getting all one side of the contest, but that's a coaching thing to sort out. I guess I see Butler as more likely to kick goals than the rest in a crumbing capacity.
None of Lonie, Kent or Hind can really take a good strong mark against their direct opponents, and having three lightweights is a big weakness in a forward line- especially when King and Membrey can't hold their marks. Probably a case to bring Marsh back into the forward half.

They are definitely getting up the ground too far, and getting all one side of the contest, but that's a coaching thing to sort out. I guess I see Butler as more likely to kick goals than the rest in a crumbing capacity.
None of Lonie, Kent or Hind can really take a good strong mark against their direct opponents, and having three lightweights is a big weakness in a forward line- especially when King and Membrey can't hold their marks. Probably a case to bring Marsh back into the forward half.
Marsh has 1 contested mark to his name in 5 games this year, I do like it when he hits the contest hard but he's just unable to impact enough contests to warrant a game in the forward line IMO.

We have to replace players who are only getting hold of the ball a couple of times a game, not add more of them.

Marsh has 1 contested mark to his name in 5 games this year, I do like it when he hits the contest hard but he's just unable to impact enough contests to warrant a game in the forward line IMO.

We have to replace players who are only getting hold of the ball a couple of times a game, not add more of them.
I think we're running out of players who can get hold of the ball enough to justify selection in the forward line.

I think we're running out of players who can get hold of the ball enough to justify selection in the forward line.

I dare say the quality of the entries is what is killing our forwards, big and small.

Earlier in the year we were getting deep entries, being kicked from ~70m out.

Last few weeks it's been back to richoball, with long bombs from 80m-100m out landing just inside the 50.

Our smalls don't have enough time to press and hold the ball in there.

Our mids and half forwards need to take more risks in hitting tough passes, breaking tackles and running around the man on the mark so they are delivering it i50 from 70m out, not the centre line.

It's the same fix for our goal kicking accuracy.

If our mids take risks of getting pinged holding the ball or rundown, we get more quality, deep i50 entries.

If they play it safe and just throw the ball of their boot as soon as they are confronted with pressure 100m out- our fwds have no chance of locking the ball in (and getting possies themselves)

Plus our goal kicking accuracy tanks because when we DO get a shot- its from 50m out on an angle.

All the forward line problems begin and end with our midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back