Universal Love In the pantheon of Richmond greats, where does Dusty now stand?

Remove this Banner Ad

67 and you're saying you saw KB & Royce
I'm 60 and seeing them in primary school and early high school I'm a little guarded about saying too much

what struck me the most about Royce was the love Richmond fans had for him and the way the players and crowd would lift when he ran onto the ground

KB was an accumulating machine and slippery
very seldom he got nailed , he also just seemed to sense the right spots to run to over a long period of time
and at the end of his career was the 1980 finals , no one will do what he did that September

both are greats of the game (we can put the Club bit aside )

Dusty - he's there now , brownlow , premierships , changing the results of games and as someone said bringing others into the game
the only current players that rival him are lil Gaz and Dangerfield and they have ticks against brownlows , Gaz premierships and both won plenty of games off their actions - but both are in the twilight of their careers

what Dusty will do between now and his retirement I look forward to , I never tire of his skills
at the end of a game at Etihad I said out aloud is there anyone on the ground that can do that ?
lots of NO's from adoring Tigers fans
Anyone in the league ?
NO NO NO
I said I think Judd was at that level and Ablett is just different players
Yeah yeah the response

But Dusty is ours :)

I got a roar , slaps on the back couple of high 5's

I had an MRI on my knee last week , the Dr shook his head and said where do I start :-( , the cortisone has been good :)

Then you'd know better about Hart and Kev than I.

I saw the end of Hart's career, and it was good. I've watched a fair bit of old TV footage of him in his prime - he was amazing.

Re them and Dusty - well we're very lucky to have had all 3. I reckon Dusty is growing into a very special Richmond person. I reckon his style and how we play he can keep him going for years. At his best he is as good as anyone I've ever seen, including GAS.

Rifles

All Australian
Apr 11, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Danger ia obviously a jet but I reckon fyfe > danger
It's a shame we haven't seen fyfe at the business end of the season. Would love to see how he would performs when it counts most. Danger's kicking let's him down and goes missing. I think dusty's point of difference is influencing from anywhere and bringing others into the game. Not even GA jnr in his prime did that as well as dusty does. And GA jnr is one of my all time greats. Freak

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
It's a shame we haven't seen fyfe at the business end of the season. Would love to see how he would performs when it counts most. Danger's kicking let's him down and goes missing. I think dusty's point of difference is influencing from anywhere and bringing others into the game. Not even GA jnr in his prime did that as well as dusty does. And GA jnr is one of my all time greats. Freak

Fyfe bottled it the 13 gf iirc

Dr Awkward

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 23, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
1 Hart
2 Bartlett
3 Martin
4 Stewart
5 Bourke
6 Rance
7 Richo
8 Riewoldt
9 M Rioli
10 Raines

Ask me tomorrow I’ll,probably change my mind again

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
This is a pretty good list. From what I've heard Vic Thorp should also be in there although you're going back to the 1910's :)

Dr Awkward

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 23, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Didn't see Hart but I noticed he is CHF of the AFL Team of the Century. Hard to beat that! Not sure Dusty would make the team of the century although I think he is a better player than Greg Williams who is in there.

jc12

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
At his peak he is as good as anyone. The knock is for example he has one only two B&F's so his consistency is not always as high for entire seasons like for example Dangerfield. But he is better than Danger and Fyfe because of his ability as you say to win contests. Can't think of to many footballers other than the one's you mention above who are better one on one players. Hence the Leigh Matthews comparison (think you might have forgotten about him). Royce Hart was another that won a good % of the contests he was involved in. Ricciuto, Judd, Voss.

Dusty has a complete skill set that puts him above most others, and that comes to the fore in big games. Probably up there with Bartlett and Hart as the best players I have seen at Richmond.
I'd say he has been fairly consistent throughout his career. He averaged almost 20 disp and a goal every season he has played in , that's pretty darn good. He will have about 3 or 4 bad games a year but everyone has those.

Early on his career he was the larger disposal getter and was about b+ grade with the potential there to go a grade.

But as his career developed he has been more of a hurt with every disposal type player and much more effective. Since 2016 he has been an A grader and been the best in the comp last 4 years. Defs the best I have seen in my life time. I love richo to death too so it's tough for me to say it but dusty simply is just incredible.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
I'd say he has been fairly consistent throughout his career. He averaged almost 20 disp and a goal every season he has played in , that's pretty darn good. He will have about 3 or 4 bad games a year but everyone has those.

Early on his career he was the larger disposal getter and was about b+ grade with the potential there to go a grade.

But as his career developed he has been more of a hurt with every disposal type player and much more effective. Since 2016 he has been an A grader and been the best in the comp last 4 years. Defs the best I have seen in my life time. I love richo to death too so it's tough for me to say it but dusty simply is just incredible.
Sure he has been consistent, just not quite Fyfe like, or even Dangerfield, not that it matters because he plays when it really matters, and we are winning flags.

CASEYS9420

Club Legend
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
For me theres a clear Top 4, Dyer, Hart, KB & Dusty

Best player I personally watch play it's absolutely Dusty but I'm only in my 30's
Premierships & Silverware, undeniably KB
For sheer playing talent, Royce Hart* (* Never saw him play live) & Dustin Martin. I cant split them
And for Culture & Club ethos its not even close, Jack Dyer IS the Richmond FC.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
For me theres a clear Top 4, Dyer, Hart, KB & Dusty

Best player I personally watch play it's absolutely Dusty but I'm only in my 30's
Premierships & Silverware, undeniably KB
For sheer playing talent, Royce Hart* (* Never saw him play live) & Dustin Martin. I cant split them
And for Culture & Club ethos its not even close, Jack Dyer IS the Richmond FC.
Reckon Francis Bourke is next in line. Up their with Doull as the best half back type defenders I have seen. Don't quite remember him on the wing, but no doubt just as good.

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Having watched Dusty now for quite a few years, I am of the opinion he is amongst the four greatest footballers I've seen, the others being Ablett Sr., Ablett Jr. and Carey. I have a high opinion of match winners. I would also include Lockett and Dunstall among the elite match winners I've seen, however the old school full-forward is somewhat reliant on his midfield delivering, whereas the guys I mentioned do it further up the ground, hence my higher appreciation for them.

That said, I wonder where Dusty sits in the pantheon of Richmond greats. I have not seen many footballers with such natural skills as his. His ability to gather the ball in heavy traffic and dispose well is unparalleled. But his influence doesn't end there. He almost never makes a mistake. To me his biggest skill is the ability to see what is unfolding before him in a way that only truly truly elite footballers do. His ability to put us into a position to score from a stoppage has gone to another level. And he does a lot beyond that that might not register a stat. Tap ons, hussle, shepherds, all sorts of clever 1%ers that make us such a dangerous team. He's literally like a chess master seeing a number of moves ahead.

Enough waxing lyrical, because I could all day. Where does he now sit among the greats of our history? For mine, it is not absurd to consider him the greatest player in our history. But that's a big call, when you consider players of the calibre of Hart, Titus, Dyer and Bartlett.

For mine, he is at very least in our top 5 players of all time. And between now and his career ending, I think he may be considered the greatest Tiger ever. What a magnificent arc from the guy overlooked by Melbourne with pick 1 and 2 in the 2009 draft (perhaps because of concerns over his character) and what a testament to Martin's actual character, and our club's culture.
I'm 61. So saw a bit of Richmond in the very late 60s. Dusty is a midfielder, so I find it hard to compare him to Hart. Midfielders like Barrot, Bourke Stewart, KB for sure. I loved Barrot & Bourke & Clay as midfielders. And what Bourke & Clay did in other positions. Similar to Dusty moving forward and being the player he is. A lot of players from that era are 4 time premiership players. And flags are all that really counts for me. I don't care about brownlows, colemans AAs etc. Just fill cabinet with Premiership cups. Dimma, Benny, Peggy, Cotch, Dusty JR and the boys are on the right track. The club is in a great position to win more. Much prefer this administration to the GR days. 2 down 2 to go & then I'll start frothing. ;) Having said that, the 2017 cup was an amazing achievement and is equivalent to the joy of winning multiple times. We've got a golden opp to snag another one in 2020. Dusty is playing well. Let's hope.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm 61. So saw a bit of Richmond in the very late 60s. Dusty is a midfielder, so I find it hard to compare him to Hart. Midfielders like Barrot, Bourke Stewart, KB for sure. I loved Barrot & Bourke & Clay as midfielders. And what Bourke & Clay did in other positions. Similar to Dusty moving forward and being the player he is. A lot of players from that era are 4 time premiership players. And flags are all that really counts for me. I don't care about brownlows, colemans AAs etc. Just fill cabinet with Premiership cups. Dimma, Benny, Peggy, Cotch, Dusty JR and the boys are on the right track. The club is in a great position to win more. Much prefer this administration to the GR days. 2 down 2 to go & then I'll start frothing. ;) Having said that, the 2017 cup was an amazing achievement and is equivalent to the joy of winning multiple times. We've got a golden opp to snag another one in 2020. Dusty is playing well. Let's hope.
I'm 62 and started going to the footy every week from 1966. I Actually saw the saints live winning in 66. I have seen almost every game KB , Hart , Bourke , Barrot and Clay played. Now of course Dusty. All these player have been great In finals.

KB & Dusty clearly the best two, followed by the others.

Hart was not as good as these two. KB is just number one ahead of Dusty, however, by the end of his career Dusty may be número uno. Especially if he has another couple of flags with the Tiges.

I'm 62 and started going to the footy every week from 1966. I Actually saw the saints live winning in 66. I have seen almost every game KB , Hart , Bourke , Barrot and Clay played. Now of course Dusty. All these player have been great In finals.

Hart was not as good as these two. KB is just number one ahead of Dusty, however, by the end of his career Dusty may be número uno. Especially if he has another couple of flags with the Tiges.

OK, I have Hart on a pedestal. But I'll take your opinion as very worthwhile.

I gues I put Hart up there on his pre-knee talent. Post knee he was super smart and capable, but not as elite. Nowadays they'd fix him and it would be interesting to see what his career was like.

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers

Your attendance is more way more comprehensive than mine. The only GFs I attended were only 72~74. And I dropped off footy until the early 90s. Images of Barrot's drop kicks from the centre are etched in my memory. And I guess I liked dirty players like Sheedy, Balme, McLean, McGhie. Durable rovers like KB & Harvey didn't impress me as much.

Yes. It's a good comparison.
Richo should figure at, or near, top 10.
Personally, I was disappointed how Richo would lose his temper at times, but that is just a personal viewpoint.
Ultimately, players play to win premierships.
Riewoldt is a dual premiership key forward.
But certainly Richo toiled through the dark years.
Would say Riewoldt is hated by a minority, which I don't understand.
I don't think he gets enough kudos as a champion.
However, he features in the Foxtel adverts, they would do market research on who is a popular player.
Jack for me is the the best pure footballer I’ve seen for the tigers. Been a sensational key forward for his size in this era, superb mark and a beautiful kick whether for goal or field kick on both sides. His left foot is so underrated by the football community. He’s a big game player like Martin also.
Add the team oriented stuff and defensive qualities of the last 4-5 seasons and it’s a full package.
Is it any wonder we are enjoying the success we are Martin the best influencer on a game I’ve seen, Cotch the best leader and one of the toughest, Rance an incredible reader of the play.
Add Edwards the best hands and Grimes the best defender of all sizes and we have been blessed in the era.

There's not a player in the league you'd pick over Dusty in my opinion, just does things no one else can't. Deserves to be in the conversation with the best ever for the club, will probably be in the conversation people have when talking about the judds and abletts by the end of his career. Last night went in between 5 cats and just extracted the ball. The long kicks to space over the top are so underated. Richo was my childhood hero (I'm 32) and his marking and workrate was as good as you'll ever see, but the stuff dusty does and at the moment he does them is unmatched. Jack is the other player people laugh at and just don't understand how smart and good he is. 'Junk time Jack' I see posted everywhere by opposition supporters. Huge reason we won 2017. Its really the minds like this that don't understand how the Richmond machine works. Rance is up there from the modern group as well. Makes me happy to talk about these guys when most of my life has been following a team that struggled.
It’s a great example idea isn’t ?
Imagine the last 3-4 seasons and it’s the old schoolyard pick and you’ve got first pick .
How could you overlook Martin seriously?

Dr Awkward

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 23, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
not sure how you can have Rance above M Riolio to be honest..
Maybe you are biased because Dixon played a good half on Rance once.

I've noticed Rance copping a bit of disrespect around here lately. Never seen a player be able to dominate a game from Full Back like him. Scarlett was probably better at stopping his man directly, but Rance was different, he would literally win the ball back against the odds and launch attack after attack.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Maybe you are biased because Dixon played a good half on Rance once.

I've noticed Rance copping a bit of disrespect around here lately. Never seen a player be able to dominate a game from Full Back like him. Scarlett was probably better at stopping his man directly, but Rance was different, he would literally win the ball back against the odds and launch attack after attack.
Add Rance to our 2020 defence and teams wouldn't bother going inside 50. It would just get picked off and converted into a score up our end.

Keilor Tiger

Team Captain
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I’ve seen the last few years of Hart, Bourke, KB so probably a bit unfair to compare the end years of theses greats to an entire career, but from my perspective Dusty is the first and only player to have given me hope on Brownlow night and GF day (twice) and delivered. To me he’s our greatest that I have seen play. But will bow to the judgement of those that have seen the best of Hart and others.

Tiger22

Tiger68
Aug 28, 2020
Punt Rd
AFL Club
Richmond
I can't believe he has gotten away with the don't argue for so long. I've played gridiron for 4 years and watched it for 35 years. In gridiron, the same move is called a stiff-arm. All you need to do is knock it away and the instigator is lost. Same stuff you did in primary school if some thug sticks his hand in your face (or tries to hit you). You knock the hand away first.

AFL players still try to grab Dusty using 2 hands?! What are they doing? Knock that hand away first then Dusty is lost, the other hand has the ball and is useless. The very act of doing the don't argue means Dusty has to lean into the person to push off. If that hand gets knocked away it's easy to gobble him up, because there is no push off to go in the other direction.

He is still a legend though.

Back