AFL 2020 - AFL Round 18 (no aftertiming allowed)

maskmcgee

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2017
The Windy Apple
AFL Club
Essendon
What about when the hypelords got rolled by Collingwood? in 2017

Their ladder position couldn't change, they were capable of winning as shown by them beating/getting within 2 goals of Adelaide, Geelong, West Coast in the month or so prior. From what I've seen and heard North Melbourne are barely capable of getting on the field. Even we were able to beat them. That's pretty bad.

Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Patriots, Golden State, Wildcats
Reckon it would be more value for the Eagles to cover the handicap -36.5 during the day conditions or over in Perth.

People have to realise that -36.5 is a large handicap to cover . The general trend of games this season, is teams don't smash or look to win big. I haven't kept track of the handicaps greater than 30 or more but I'd feel confident that the underdog covers the majority of the time.

There is also talk that the Eagles much prefer a 5th spot and a home final in Perth, than a Top 4 spot and locked in the QLD bubble.

Their ladder position couldn't change, they were capable of winning as shown by them beating/getting within 2 goals of Adelaide, Geelong, West Coast in the month or so prior. From what I've seen and heard North Melbourne are barely capable of getting on the field. Even we were able to beat them. That's pretty bad.

No one is disputing that the Eagles "should" win, however not giving another even an absolute remote possibility is where the query comes.

Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Are Sportsbet reading this thread? The thread has come in from +36.5 to +33.5 handicap for the Roos now.............

1600226235373.png

So if they could have dropped from 13th to 14th they would have dogged it? Seems a MASSIVE stretch.

Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Rubbish. Eagles would rather Top 4.

A few years back, the Dockers sent a 2nd string team to Tasmania to play Hawthorn. They got belted by 116 points. But a couple of weeks later, they had a home final in Perth and beat the Hawks in the 1st week of the finals.

Don't feel like its the worst thing for the Eagles to have a home final in Perth, with the added advantage of a weeks bye chucked in there. They could have 2 weeks in Perth before coming back to QLD refreshed and charged up for the finals. (Prelim and Grand Final)

A few years back, the Dockers sent a 2nd string team to Tasmania to play Hawthorn. They got belted by 116 points. But a couple of weeks later, they had a home final in Perth and beat the Hawks in the 1st week of the finals.

Don't feel like its the worst thing for the Eagles to have a home final in Perth, with the added advantage of a weeks bye chucked in there. They could have 2 weeks in Perth before coming back to QLD refreshed and charged up for the finals. (Prelim and Grand Final)

No team on earth is throwing away a double chance for a home final.

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle

Freo were not going to make top 4 in 2010, we were off back to back losses and fielding a pretty young side who needed a rest, we rested them for the best chance at finals and then we had to win the last game just to make 6th.

Not the same scenario, no team would give up top 4 if they have the chance to get there.

Hell in 2010 under your scenario even if we make top 4 then the second week of finals we get a free home final? understand thats different this year but yeah, not happening

Only last week everyone was certain St Kilda would roll WCE. We saw how that turned out. Maybe we should wait and see team selection.

But team selection was wot made everyone think the aints would win!

Sammy1992

Senior List
Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
What’s everyone’s thoughts on Seb Ross(st Kilda) to get 15 disposals at $1.40? Has he even missed 15 once this year? I don’t think he has. 23 and 18 in the last 2 weeks plus Zac Jones is out.

Before he got injured this year he was consistently getting disposals in the 20’s Anyway

Last edited:

5 Bucks

All Australian
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Not sure you understand how the finals series works if you think the Eagles can finish 5th, have a home final, then a bye, then fly back to QLD for the prelim + GF ;)

andwhenitcomes

Team Captain
May 2, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
What’s everyone’s thoughts on Seb Ross(st Kilda) to get 15 disposals at $1.40? Has he even missed 15 once this year? I don’t think he has. 23 and 18 in the last 2 weeks plus Zac Jones is out.

Before he got injured this year he was consistently getting disposals in the 20’s Anyway
11/13 with 15+ this year, plus 21 in the one game he played and Jones missed. Lines up

5 Bucks

All Australian
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Had 12 and 10 touches in rounds 6 and 7

Seems to be playing a bit more freely in the last few weeks but there's a chance that he plays more of a tagging role like he has done at times earlier in the season. Jones out definitely helps him though, and he's attending bulk centre bounces so he's always around the ball. Should get it done.

squeaky1000

Team Captain
Apr 30, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Probably gets 15 but wouldn't say there's a lot of value, always possible he plays a tagging role. Irrespective of numbers he's had a shocking year, struggle to pick a single game he's influenced the result of. Even when he gets a bit of it they are nothing disposals

Sammy1992

Senior List
Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Probably gets 15 but wouldn't say there's a lot of value, always possible he plays a tagging role. Irrespective of numbers he's had a shocking year, struggle to pick a single game he's influenced the result of. Even when he gets a bit of it they are nothing disposals
Yeah that’s a good point. GWS have a solid midfield and they may want to try and tag Kelly/ Taranto or something. But with Jones out and looking at his previous form I think he’ll get it quite easily. Was tempted for the 20.

Sammy1992

Senior List
Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong

Doesn’t matter how he gets the disposals just as long as he gets the 15 lol.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I honestly don't even know how the quarantine thing is meant to work with West Coast flying in / out of Perth.

How can they possibly do two 14-day quarantines within the same finals series?

5 Bucks

All Australian
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I honestly don't even know how the quarantine thing is meant to work with West Coast flying in / out of Perth.

How can they possibly do two 14-day quarantines within the same finals series?
Easy. They play Thursday night, fly back on Friday, play 15 days later on Saturday night and lose so there is no issue/no second quarantine.

Back