List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really do not get the enthusiasm for Constable.

I'm more enthusiastic about the idea of Constable, more than Constable himself. I think we need more and better quality pure mids on our list. Would obviously prefer an established senior gun, but it can't hurt to be adding young guys like Constable, Sier, Hately etc to our midfield stocks in the hopes that they can improve our midfield.

Hately, Caldwell, Perryman, how gettable any of them are for us in particular is questionable as I believe both Hately and Caldwell want to go to their home states, but I'd like us to at least have a discussion with them.

Perryman would cost too much as we need the picks for points. Caldwell some chance. Hately dead set 1000-1 he’ll go home to SA

Lachie Neale is listed a t 177cm and will probably win a Charlie this year. In this particular case, size does not matter.
Paul Kelly was 179cm. Too small for a mid eh? Body couldn't play against men, obviously not hard enough.

If we absolutely have to I think we should trade or 2021 second rounder for a 2020 second rounder, get some extra points there so we aren't in a deficit for 2021, points that would be taken away from our 2021 first rounder if we are not careful.

Hately, Caldwell, Perryman, how gettable any of them are for us in particular is questionable as I believe both Hately and Caldwell want to go to their home states, but I'd like us to at least have a discussion with them.
I wonder about the development these players are receiving. You look at the development of the young Sydney players we have seen over the last few years. These are guys trying their guts out to get a game. Look at Wicks. Even giving games to McCartin has seen him develop. Were he or Wicks be at GWS would they have developed as quickly without a lot of exposure to AFL football? Cant be good not getting games when you are a high draft pick with talent from a mental perspective. I wonder about the physical and mental development at GWS. Something at GWS is not right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We aren't getting anything of value for our fringe players in a year where every club is going to be getting rid of their own fringe players. But we don't need to to get the points required to match for the academy boys because most teams are going to look to shift this year's picks, outside of the first round, to next year when they will have a better understanding of the players coming through and they won't have to cut their list size significantly.

If we absolutely have to I think we should trade or 2021 second rounder for a 2020 second rounder, get some extra points there so we aren't in a deficit for 2021, points that would be taken away from our 2021 first rounder if we are not careful.

I feel like this would be somewhat pointless.

We have enough points now to match Campbell at about pick 8. That would wipe out our draft picks (after we’ve already taken a player at 4). If he went earlier, say at 6, our first round 2021 may slide by 2-3 places.

If Gulden then gets bid on at say 25, this would reduce our 2021 2nd round pick by -559 points we would then slide back down to around pick 58 (on the basis of us improving and getting pick 26 next year).

We’d have our three selections and be out of the draft at this point.
Take a young developing ruck in the rookie draft.

I think we will keep 4 but try and trade 23 to get a net gain of points to try and mitigate a slide in 2021.

Last edited:
We either going to hit the draft hard or trade hard.
Either we take pick 4 and use it or we split it up and trade.
With Campbell and Gulden theres no way we are trading many of our later picks.

Unless there are some really quality players who are a) on the market, and b) willing to move to Sydney, there is nothing to be gained from splitting pick 4. IMO there is only half a dozen elite junior prospects in this year's draft. Having two picks later in the first round won't net us any of those prospects.

The ideal outcome is:
Pick 4 - Phillips/Hollands/Thilthorpe/McDonald/Macrae OR an established gun midfielder, key forward or ruck.

Pick 7/8 - Match bid on Campbell. This is where I think he will go, but as I've said all along, I wouldn't be shocked if he went earlier. Being the best user of the footy in the entire draft pool is not a minor factor.

Pick somewhere in the 20s/low 30s - Match bid on Gulden OR use later picks to trade in a ruck/midfield depth, even if at the expense of Gulden.

I would rather trade our 2021 second rounder for a 2020 second rounder, as that means we don't need to split pick 4 and can use it outright, and as a result get two top 10 players in this years draft.

I would rather trade our 2021 second rounder for a 2020 second rounder, as that means we don't need to split pick 4 and can use it outright, and as a result get two top 10 players in this years draft.

As per my post before, what is the point?

The net effect is almost the same.

The point is to make sure that we do no have a deficit going into 2021. If we do have a deficit, that deficit is taken out of our first round 2021 pick, which means we could go from pick 4 to something like pick 7, which would not be great.

I mean, who cares? I'm no list manager so I don't know what the club is thinking but personally I am done with the draft. We have a very solid young list and this year have the chance to add three more to that.

It's time for us to focus on the development of that young list and turning it into that of a contender. To do that we need some senior players around the younger players, plus some star power to fill in some pretty glaring holes in the team. Hell, I'd even give up this year's first and just be happy with Campbell & Gulden if it netted us a player who could speed up that process.

I mean, who cares? I'm no list manager so I don't know what the club is thinking but personally I am done with the draft. We have a very solid young list and this year have the chance to add three more to that.

It's time for us to focus on the development of that young list and turning it into that of a contender. To do that we need some senior players around the younger players, plus some star power to fill in some pretty glaring holes in the team. Hell, I'd even give up this year's first and just be happy with Campbell & Gulden if it netted us a player who could speed up that process.
I dont agree with your last sentence. But i do agree with your intent. few balls in the air at this time. Buddyis drawing 1.5M next year. Daniher could be coming in. we dont have today $. i reckon next year, depending on what happens this year, will determine who we chase.

The point is to make sure that we do no have a deficit going into 2021. If we do have a deficit, that deficit is taken out of our first round 2021 pick, which means we could go from pick 4 to something like pick 7, which would not be great.

There are other ways to achieve this anyway. Trade 23 into multiple picks to cover off Campbell (keep in mind with list sizes some clubs will now have more picks than they need) and if we need to go into deficit for our second round pick 2021 then so be it.

As far as our 2021 1st rounder, we should be targeting a player to trade this in for in 2022. We will have gone to the draft well more than enough by that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back