Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 3 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Not a fan of overseas teams.....
Everyone writing off schache way too early has been injured half the year is still young as , will be a mistake to let him go, I don't think we will there are 10 to let go before him anyway
I think the exact same. Is still young and people say his not aggressive. There have been a lot of classy forwards that are not aggressive, the amount of times I se him get infringed in a marking contest and get no reward is shocking. Hawkings and Dixon and the like would get the ones Schache does not.

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Not a fan of overseas teams.....
If there's one junior player to come in and start taking inside mid rotations, it's Rhylee West. He'd be well preferred to Porter. Jong would be ahead of Porter too.
People concerned about a replacement for libba when he stops playing need not worry. West has the same traits but better handball and Libba has a better kick for now.

Glaeken Oracle

Club Legend
Dec 3, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sounds like a fun off-season in the offing. Porter is a good bloke, Trengove is a good bloke, Schache is a good bloke. Not having a go at anyone, but if we keep players for their good-bloked-ness, but Bevo won't play them, they're better off for their own careers (and sanity/lives) being good blokes somewhere else. And we don't need more 'good blokes' called Matt Eagles FFS. (Unless he is prepared to change his name to Matt Bulldogs, then I might consider it.)

Having said all that, I've been pre-bracing myself for weeks (years) for the annual ridiculous suggestions of who we can trade in. Please preface ridiculous suggestions with "this is an outlandish, virtually impossible scenario, but in my delusion I am suggesting...". You know who you are:

Goldstein
Gawn
J Cameron
Robin Nahas
32yo Isaac Smith
37yo Shaun Burgoyne
"I can't kick" McDonald
Preuss (FFS, take a Bex and have a good look at yourself)
Tex Walker (WTF!?)

Sorry, just needed to vent that. I know it won't change anything, so carry on. Btw, anyone calls me Francis, and I'll kill ya.

Cheers, in Bont we trust. :)

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sounds like a fun off-season in the offing. Porter is a good bloke, Trengove is a good bloke, Schache is a good bloke. Not having a go at anyone, but if we keep players for their good-bloked-ness, but Bevo won't play them, they're better off for their own careers (and sanity/lives) being good blokes somewhere else. And we don't need more 'good blokes' called Matt Eagles FFS. (Unless he is prepared to change his name to Matt Bulldogs, then I might consider it.)

Having said all that, I've been pre-bracing myself for weeks (years) for the annual ridiculous suggestions of who we can trade in. Please preface ridiculous suggestions with "this is an outlandish, virtually impossible scenario, but in my delusion I am suggesting...". You know who you are:

Goldstein
Gawn
J Cameron
Robin Nahas
32yo Isaac Smith
37yo Shaun Burgoyne
"I can't kick" McDonald
Preuss (FFS, take a Bex and have a good look at yourself)
Tex Walker (WTF!?)

Sorry, just needed to vent that. I know it won't change anything, so carry on. Btw, anyone calls me Francis, and I'll kill ya.

Cheers, in Bont we trust. :)
You're missing Matt Eagles from this list.

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Worst case scenario. We need at very minimum a main/2nd ruck who is able to play 6-7 games per season when required.

Best case scenario we can fit Naught/Bruce/JUH in the same forward line and all works pretty well. There would still be an opportunity for a ruck to get 6-7 games to support English when JUH and Bruce are rested (predict JUH plays roughly 16 games next season/Bruce might get a game or two rest) plus if their is an injury to any one of the 3 of them. Certainly against strong teams such as Eagles (Not Matt Eagles but the other one), Collingwood, Stk, Melbourne may all require 2 rucks and would be smart teams to rest JUH against.

Bev outright has said that Sweet aint up to doing that yet and Trengrove has a line through him. Need to find a ruck whos not too expensive but for 6-8 appearances will protect us against the dominant ruck teams.

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Worst case scenario. We need at very minimum a main/2nd ruck who is able to play 6-7 games per season when required.

Best case scenario we can fit Naught/Bruce/JUH in the same forward line and all works pretty well. There would still be an opportunity for a ruck to get 6-7 games to support English when JUH and Bruce are rested (predict JUH plays roughly 16 games next season/Bruce might get a game or two rest) plus if their is an injury to any one of the 3 of them. Certainly against strong teams such as Eagles (Not Matt Eagles but the other one), Collingwood, Stk, Melbourne may all require 2 rucks and would be smart teams to rest JUH against.

Bev outright has said that Sweet aint up to doing that yet and Trengrove has a line through him. Need to find a ruck whos not too expensive but for 6-8 appearances will protect us against the dominant ruck teams.
There will quite possibly some DFA options if the list sizes shrink at the end of the year or we could look at a mature state league ruck.
I really don't want to spend anything in picks or pay for a guy who will only play if English goes down at even then might still not.

Glaeken Oracle

Club Legend
Dec 3, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hearing Geelong will go hard at Daniher this off-season.

Interesting. I would think that Hawkins has at least another season in him (even at 32), so how would they line up? Both Hawkins and Daniher are really genuine FFs. This could be the continuation of the great "can James Cook and Simon Minton-Connell play in the same team?" debate that captivated the world in the late 90s!

Philthy1

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think the exact same. Is still young and people say his not aggressive. There have been a lot of classy forwards that are not aggressive, the amount of times I se him get infringed in a marking contest and get no reward is shocking. Hawkings and Dixon and the like would get the ones Schache does not.
Whether we like it or not, we have a few players on the list who have been in the AFL system for quite some time and cannot get a game such as Greene (4 years), Lynch (5 years), Schache (5 years). They have not been hampered by persistent long term injury compared to someone like Clay Smith. Now we can trot out all the lines we like such as all he needs is a "massive pre-season" or "a decent run of games" or <insert cliche here>, if they are not going to make it after this amount of time, they aren't going to make it at all. Each of them had their chances and didn't make the most of them.

Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
Whether we like it or not, we have a few players on the list who have been in the AFL system for quite some time and cannot get a game such as Greene (4 years), Lynch (5 years), Schache (5 years). They have not been hampered by persistent long term injury compared to someone like Clay Smith. Now we can trot out all the lines we like such as all he needs is a "massive pre-season" or "a decent run of games" or <insert cliche here>, if they are not going to make it after this amount of time, they aren't going to make it at all. Each of them had their chances and didn't make the most of them.

Greene has had injuries rule out 2 seasons, but yeah if he's not getting a game this season it doesn't look like he's going to be kept.

Interesting. I would think that Hawkins has at least another season in him (even at 32), so how would they line up? Both Hawkins and Daniher are really genuine FFs. This could be the continuation of the great "can James Cook and Simon Minton-Connell play in the same team?" debate that captivated the world in the late 90s!
This could be the continuation of the great "can James Cook and Simon Minton-Connell play in the same team?" debate that captivated the world in the late 90s!

I’m surprised no-one has bought up the movie rights to that story.

Geelong’s salary cap accounting must be interesting viewing.

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
LOL,

Let me know who how leading goal kickers and tally every year since 2016? How may key forwards there?

Why has Bruce failed so miserably this year? Is it just fitness or is it forward entries and how we structure up?

Naughton is a 1 in a generation player who was a star in his first few games but would he ever kick 50 goals in a Bevo fwd line?

My concern is our game plan and forward entries. It been a problem since 2016 and this is where my concern is with JUH. It must be frustrating as hell to be a 192cm plus fwd at the DOGS and it could limit his development. The other concern I have is could he be too flamboyant for Bevo? Have no idea his personality but Bevo likes a certain type of player.
Every team has to play to it’s strengths, we haven’t had any dominant key forwards until Naughto. As far as tallies go they have been declining year on year throughout the competition over the last few years.
I still don’t know how you can possibly have a concern over how a player who is yet to drafted is going to be treated.
But hey maybe I’m wrong let’s get JUH and get rid of Bevo just in case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
Schache hasn't fired much of a shot at two clubs now.
He's far too meek to be a KPF, and doesn't have the burst speed to get separation from his opponent. he does have elite endurance for a big man, but really he plays as a soft mid-sizer and Bailey Dale plays that role.

B479B232-A003-4DB8-BA8C-8CA29D4F63E6.jpeg

* Multiply Bruce’s stats by 1.2 or whatever it is to make the minutes equal to last season

I want Bruce to succeed as much as the next guy but it’s crazy that Schache can’t get a game ahead of him. No way Schache stays in if he played a couple of the performances that Bruce has.

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
View attachment 962739

* Multiply Bruce’s stats by 1.2 or whatever it is to make the minutes equal to last season

I want Bruce to succeed as much as the next guy but it’s crazy that Schache can’t get a game ahead of him. No way Schache stays in if he played a couple of the performances that Bruce has.
Both play as key forwards but very different style of footballers. Schache would be easier to compare to dale, Greene, Gowers or wallis. Plays as an overgrown lead up medium tall

Apples and oranges.
Schache doesn't crash packs. He barely plays as tall at all, let alone a no 1 tall demanding the best opposition defender.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Both play as key forwards but very different style of footballers. Schache would be easier to compare to dale, Greene, Gowers or wallis. Plays as an overgrown lead up medium tall

Well not really because there is next to zero percent chance that Bruce, Naughton and Schache will play together. Bruce/Schache, Naughton and one or two of the others would play together most weeks so they are definitely battling for the same position even if they play different styles

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
View attachment 962739

Schache is a low intensity forward. He's not a key forward at all and also our personnel doesn't allow for a third tall currently. Certainly you would need to minimise the number of these type of players who are great capitalisers but aren't high physical/pressure players (Lloyd/Dale/Schache/Greene).

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Apples and oranges.
Schache doesn't crash packs. He barely plays as tall at all, let alone a no 1 tall demanding the best opposition defender.

Bruce has barely done that this year. His last two weeks his effort and intensity has been much better and it gives me some hope that his form will turn around for Fremantle and hopefully beyond but he was as noncompetitive as any games Schache has ever played in the Suns, Power and Cats games.

As for the best opposition defender bit. I really don't think there is much of a difference between the players who defended Schache last year and Bruce this year. People are making it sound like he gets defended by small guys. Past few weeks, vs Geelong Henderson on Bruce, Taylor on Naughton; vs West Coast McGovern on Bruce, Barrass on Naughton; vs Hawthorn McEvoy on Bruce, Frost on Naughton. Sub Schache and Bruce and you're getting the same matchups. Not like Will Day or Blake Hardwick is going to defend Schache

If they are apples and oranges, who is Schache battling for position with? Or is there just no spot for him no matter how poorly Dale, Lloyd, Gowers and Bruce have been for large portions of the year.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bruce has barely done that this year. His last two weeks his effort and intensity has been much better and it gives me some hope that his form will turn around for Fremantle and hopefully beyond but he was as noncompetitive as any games Schache has ever played in the Suns, Power and Cats games.

As for the best opposition defender bit. I really don't think there is much of a difference between the players who defended Schache last year and Bruce this year. People are making it sound like he gets defended by small guys

Bruce is certainly going to give a better account of himself in the ruck. Especially in stoppages where he can use his size to 50/50 many of the contests. Probably another aspect that gives him the edge over Schache.

If you wanted Bruce/Naught/Schache in the same line up you would probably need a couple of peak paul puopolo's (with wallis) to provide some level of defensive pressure. Unfortunately for Schache theirs a number of players who role through the half forward/forward pocket role (such as Lloyd, Dale, Lipinski, Suckling and cooked Dickson) who aren't at the level defensively to accomodate a 3rd tall.

Isaac Smith might be old but surely that's less of a factor when you were first drafted as a mature ager? I'd argue 30+ age decline is as much from hunger and accumulated wear and tear as it is the age your are itself.

scooter600x

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2003
Behind the goals, Geelong Rd end
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Lynch and Schache are a bit different, though. Lynch has played, what, 3 games in his 5 years, Schache has played over 50.
Greene has missed at least one full season with injuries.

Regardless of this though, we probably need to delist seven (assuming the AFL do decide on 40 + 2). That gives us 3 picks and one player or 4 picks.

Seven would be pretty easy to do - Suckling & Dickson to retire, Gowers, Lloyd, Lynch, Porter and Khamis released. I would delist Gardner too, but that's not going to happen.

Perhaps Greene, Trengove & Schache won't be big parts of next year, it doesn't matter, they can perform a role if required. Another year of nothing and they will be released then. I am a massive Greene fan. Obviously we don't know what's going on behind closed doors but I can't believe Lloyd would play in front of him.

Trengove might depend on whether we can get another ruck from somewhere but it looks like slim pickings. We can't go in with just English and Sweet. Personally I'd play Trengove three times a year, against Hawkins, Lynch and Dixon.

Schache is contracted for next year, let him fight it out for a spot.

Glaeken Oracle

Club Legend
Dec 3, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’m surprised no-one has bought up the movie rights to that story.

Geelong’s salary cap accounting must be interesting viewing.

Sssh, I've had the rights for years.

I had early negotiations with Kyle McLachlan to play 'Loaf':

1600243679191.png
1600243928193.png

Struggled with who to approach for the 'Captain' role, but settled on Karl Urban:
1600243902198.png
1600244036411.png

The 'Plough' role has me in 2 minds though - adaptable Meryl or motion-capture Andy?

1600244214100.png
1600244296397.png
1600244409539.png

And finally the 4 Essendon and Geelong defenders who manned them in rounds 10 and 11 1997 - the only 2 games together where they were both actually productive and contributed multiple goals is a tough one, but this is my current list:

1600244841041.png
1600244879427.png
1600245007978.png
1600245100024.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back