Preview R18: Melbourne vs Essendon, the Melksham-Hibberd-Brown trophy, Carrara, 19/09/2020, 2:10PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
The thing with both Lloyd and Worsfold is neither have come out and said what they actually think. So it's all nonsense really. Innuendo either way isn't insightful or helpful. Just ego driven get backs or rah rah crap and posturing.

Where was Lloyd when the coaching handover was announced? Why wasn't Woosha punching on with these interest groups being a pro and getting the job done?

It's all a rort. Throw a few jabs and go buy another investment property.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
He is getting a bit Kane Cornesish. Worsfold's response wounded his ego and takes the points in that exchange for mine.

Listen to cornes...

“Maybe it is the tagger in me. You can leave the game, as I did in 2015 after 300 AFL games at Port Adelaide, but perhaps you can’t shake off the role you carried on to the football field to annoy a damaging opponent.

“After four years in the media, I understand much of what I write and say is as polarising and as divisive as the image of a tagger.

“That’s me, my style in a new game where you do need to be distinctive. My commentary is never intended to make people angry or designed to upset them. It is supposed to broaden the debate by having people think from a different perspective.

“I am prepared to make comment on some topics that some others would not touch. Understandably, the consequence of this is significant blowback from aggrieved fans on social media and from certain ‘colleagues’ at rival media outlets.

“It is not pleasant, but it comes with the territory. If you are prepared to dish it out, it is only reasonable that you take the recoil. In the main, 99 per cent of the criticism and vitriol honestly doesn’t bother me. It can be no different than Sam Mitchell trying to get into your head when you are refusing to get off his shadow on the football field."

A once noble art called journalism, penning stories, investigating, informing, the gentle art of pursuasion....has been whittled down to a battle of upset and counter upset, trolling, by exponents who are only used to winning battles with brawn rather than brain

Albertross

Club Legend
Feb 26, 2015
North of the border
AFL Club
Essendon
An interstate farewell game with limited crowds isn’t really a farewell anyway
Personally, a big part of the reason why I'm going this week, is because I anticipated retirements, or for some, last games wearing the Sash.

May be limited crowds but the supporters up here are just as passionate about the club and players as our Southern counterparts. Let's face it, most of us are ex Vics anyway.

Big Tommy, or any other loyal servant of the club playing their last game, will get a fitting send off.

westking

Cancelled
Apr 25, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Whoever happens to be winning
Listen to cornes...

“Maybe it is the tagger in me. You can leave the game, as I did in 2015 after 300 AFL games at Port Adelaide, but perhaps you can’t shake off the role you carried on to the football field to annoy a damaging opponent.

“After four years in the media, I understand much of what I write and say is as polarising and as divisive as the image of a tagger.

“That’s me, my style in a new game where you do need to be distinctive. My commentary is never intended to make people angry or designed to upset them. It is supposed to broaden the debate by having people think from a different perspective.

“I am prepared to make comment on some topics that some others would not touch. Understandably, the consequence of this is significant blowback from aggrieved fans on social media and from certain ‘colleagues’ at rival media outlets.

“It is not pleasant, but it comes with the territory. If you are prepared to dish it out, it is only reasonable that you take the recoil. In the main, 99 per cent of the criticism and vitriol honestly doesn’t bother me. It can be no different than Sam Mitchell trying to get into your head when you are refusing to get off his shadow on the football field."

A once noble art called journalism, penning stories, investigating, informing, the gentle art of pursuasion....has been whittled down to a battle of upset and counter upset, trolling, by exponents who are only used to winning battles with brawn rather than brain

The best journalism you will find nowadays can be found in podcasts. Sure journalists can be lazy, ego driven grubs, but not all. There are still good ones. It’s the owners of media that are the problem.

We get the media we deserve and We obviously don’t deserve much.

I do not mind Lloyd having a decent crack but there is never any solutions. From memory he never picks us to make the 8 and when we do not it is on like donkey kong. I actually like McGuanes swipe better as it had some meat about it. Some solutions. Lloyd should keep having a crack at us as we have been s**t but show us your plan. Tell us what in your opinion needs to be done.
Now if I have missed anything where he has then apologies but I do not listen to a lot of his podcast work as I would rather not be listening to purple as well.

Apr 30, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Ideally this should be a farewell game for about 12 players.

Do we have enough spare in the hub to be able to carry them all off the ground? We'll need 2 per player which gives use 36 players in total. If you add Woosha's last game them we need a few more there as well to chair him off.

Probably need to ask the AFL for special permission or we'll get some ex Essendon players from Melbourne to help out including "good stuff" Goodwin.

Sammy1992

Senior List
Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Hey guys sorry for the intrusion. Do you think Saad will be good for 15 disposals? Seems like he usually covers that amount fairly well

Hey guys sorry for the intrusion. Do you think Saad will be good for 15 disposals? Seems like he usually covers that amount fairly well
Yeah.

Gamble responsibly.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I believe he was given a few choices to help bring along the new era but wasn't keen on losing top dog status on the ground so pulled the pin early. I may be wrong, but dosent seem a team first ethos.

I think when I think of intelligent succinct worthwhile uppercuts I'll take them from Ross Lyon anyday, they seem to come from a genuine place, and he replies to dialog on his comments in constructive ways, he's also level, he takes into account injuries ECT and often calls for calm. I think Lloyd just comes in off the long run with something he has pre planned, all guns blazing. Like cornes. Perhaps it's the crocmedia mo

This is 100% correct and the reason for the irony in everything Lloyd says.

Look at players like Hodge, Kelly and Burgoyne.

Then compare with a club champion that abandoned his club at the time it needed his leadership probably more than it needed any other single thing. He undermined the coach, who was right, mind you, and played a large role in entrenching the self-obsessed culture of our senior players. Talk about not sacrificing your game...

If Lloyd wasn't so congenitally stupid he would have some self awareness and at least criticise the club in a way that doesn't directly implicate him.

There is a saying about never meeting your idols. The only thing worse than a bad meeting is when said idol has a media job and every word entrenches that disappointment.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon

Then compare with a club champion that abandoned his club at the time it needed his leadership probably more than it needed any other single thing. He undermined the coach, who was right, mind you, and played a large role in entrenching the self-obsessed culture of our senior players. Talk about not sacrificing your game...

If Lloyd wasn't so congenitally stupid he would have some self awareness and at least criticise the club in a way that doesn't directly implicate him.

There is a saying about never meeting your idols. The only thing worse than a bad meeting is when said idol has a media job and every word entrenches that disappointment.

The only thing I'll add is that footy classified show is built around that hyperbolic type of tag line commentary, it's faux arguments for faux twitter rage, it's everything that's wrong with sports media.

Make controversy on the evening show, it's a news article the next day. Human centipede journalism at its worst... I'd almost give him grace if it was just on that show, but no, he trots it out everywhere, it's a sickenenly genuine opinion from him.

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hi Guys is there any chance you guys could beat the dees. I would have thought if your 3 S's Shiel, Smith, Saad play well and supply Daniher with some good looks you be a chance.

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon

I remember reading Lloyd's book thinking "this guy is too stupid to be able to lie". You're spot on about the irony in him potting the culture, but at the same time I think much of what he says about it is true. Takes one to know one?

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi Guys is there any chance you guys could beat the dees. I would have thought if your 3 S's Shiel, Smith, Saad play well and supply Daniher with some good looks you be a chance.

I don't think the dees even know what they will dish up week to week, add us Into that mix and this could go either way on a sliding scale of 100 point margin

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Nice to finish the season on the old fashioned Saturday afternoon time-slot. I'm going to take it as an omen that we are repeatting 1992 and about to shock the comp with a flag next year - that and we may see a slight recession.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back