Can we give Travis Boak some love?

HotSausage69

Premium Platinum
Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This guy has been an absolute superstar for my football club. I feel he doesn't get the recognition he deserves, this year as a 32 year old is having a career best season in a career that has already reached great heights. He doesn't have the star power because he is from a non Victorian team but I feel he has been every bit as good as Pendlebury, Neale, Shuey etc over the years and also shown great loyalty after the infamous Geelong invasion of 2012. He is an absolute weapon, think he will deserve to be known as one of the greats of our football club, and in turn the AFL when we win the premiership this year.
All hail Sir Travis Boak

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
"Every bit as good as Pendlebury"? Please...

Boak has had 3-4 great seasons (2013-2014, 2019-2020), and a lot of good-but-not-great in between.

He's a very good player, and full credit to him for resurrecting a career that appeared to be on the decline a couple of years ago (positioning him in the middle rather than at half forward helps, Ken!), but he lacks a bit of polish and year in, year out consistency when compared to the absolute elite of the past 10-15 years.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
He has always been rated about right imo. Sort of a Hall-of-Fame fringe, bit more of a club great than comp great, overshadowed a little in his first couple seasons by Joel Selwood at the Cats until the trade talk/captaincy debates. Similar tier to the single-club likes of Marc Murphy, David Mundy, Matt Priddis, Matthew Boyd.

Pendlebury has the superior resume. Boak's career resume is a bit more complete than Neale and Shuey (who didn't debut until the 2010s), so hard to compare there.

Last edited:

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
He has always been rated about right imo. Sort of a Hall-of-Fame fringe, bit more of a club great than comp great, overshadowed a little in his first couple seasons by Joel Selwood at the Cats until the trade talk/captaincy debates. Similar tier to the single-club likes of Marc Murphy, David Mundy, Matt Priddis.
Cue comparisions to Mark Bickley.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Gun player and a good sort.

See even Boaky realises Sholl was robbed of a rising star. The ******* captain of our home town rivals has more regard for our club than the AFL.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
This guy has been an absolute superstar for my football club. I feel he doesn't get the recognition he deserves, this year as a 32 year old is having a career best season in a career that has already reached great heights. He doesn't have the star power because he is from a non Victorian team but I feel he has been every bit as good as Pendlebury, Neale, Shuey etc over the years and also shown great loyalty after the infamous Geelong invasion of 2012. He is an absolute weapon, think he will deserve to be known as one of the greats of our football club, and in turn the AFL when we win the premiership this year.
All hail Sir Travis Boak
Hope you've got a statue up at Alberton to commemorate the almighty Port Adelaide resistance fighters who bravely repelled the Geelong invaders.

Sully90

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
He has always been rated about right imo. Sort of a Hall-of-Fame fringe, bit more of a club great than comp great, overshadowed a little in his first couple seasons by Joel Selwood at the Cats until the trade talk/captaincy debates. Similar tier to the single-club likes of Marc Murphy, David Mundy, Matt Priddis, Matthew Boyd.

Pendlebury has the superior resume. Boak's career resume is a bit more complete than Neale and Shuey (who didn't debut until the 2010s), so hard to compare there.
Is there a tier between those guys and Pendles? Because Boak probably sits in there. Although my own Club bias obligates me to push Mundy higher as well.

Ricky112

Senior List
Aug 29, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Port is a perennial tease. How many times have they gone on a run under Hinkley only to squander it in the second half of the season.

This season has benefited them with genuine home games. Had it the easiest after Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

Back