Rolling All Australian Team 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Measuring a back line by using points against is so inaccurate

agree, but definitely a correlation. Collingwood has conceded the least I50’s and the least marks I50 this year. When Jeremy Howe was playing Collingwood definitely had the best backline because that’s 3 AA players.

I’m not sure who is ahead of May. Petracca is a lock and Gawn has been just as good as last year. Oliver missing makes sense given it took him a few weeks to sort out his disposal.
I'd have Moore ahead of May, not much in it probs just personal preference.

Niknat will be the sole ruck, unless there's 2 absolute stand outs they generally just pick one ruck.

Petracca with Neale and Hawkins probably the only 3 genuine locks in the side.

Oliver squad possibility, not the 22, I'd have Neale, Boak, Steele, Pendles, Martin, Wines, Adams, Petracca, Bont, Merret, Danger all ahead of him comfortably

B: Ryan Andrews Maynard
HB: DBJ Moore Daniel
W: Menegola Petracca Duncan
HF: Martin Dixon Danger
F: Butler Hawkins Papley
R: Naitanui Boak Neale
I/C: Steele Guthrie Bontempelli T.Kelly

Which players will have got no discussion in this thread and then will appear in the 40 man squad?
Any Port defender of Jonas, DBJ or McKenzie and Butters

When you are top all season and only Boak is a lock with Dixon a 50/50 the 40 will get some imo.

Ha, yeah, I know right. The young fella juggernaut08 is a bit of an entitled type. Very passionate downvoting every Richmond poster in particular. Down voted in 1-2-3
lol at juddernaut08. They downvoted a post (by a richmond supporter), which i quoted and also disagreed with, therefore presumably having the same opinion as juddernaut. They then downvoted my post as well.

seems theyre willing to disagree with both sides of an argument if theyre made by a richmond supporter.

Which players will have got no discussion in this thread and then will appear in the 40 man squad?
Langdon is a chance. He’s been a slow burn but his second half of the season has been exceptional. He’s done pretty much all you could ask of a wing.

I’m not expecting him to be named in the squad as he’s mostly flying under the radar, but if it’s based on performance he’s a real chance of the squad. Not in genuine discussion for the final side though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haynes Andrews Maynard
Whitfield May Daniel
Macrae Steele Gaff
Butters Hawkins Gray
Ryan Dixon Bont
Naitanui Petracca Neale
Gawn Oliver Boak Ridley

This is possibly the worst side I've seen in the entirety of this 144 page thread. Butters, Gray, Oliver, Gawn, Bont, Gaff, are all no chance - let alone Bont at full forward, taking a spot from Wallis, Papley or Butler - none of which are mentioned. Also missing at least one of Guthrie, Dusty, Danger, Vlastuin, Menegola, Weitering, DBJ, D. Moore, T. Adams, Luke Ryan etc. - the list goes on.

The fact you use Champion Data as your measuring stick, means you probably don't watch enough footy - as CD is the most useless measurement tool when it comes to player ability. Proven by the fact that there is no perceivable universe where Oliver and Gawn have been one of the Top 5 players in the competition this year. Neale, Boak, Hawkins, Nic Nat and Petracca are all miles ahead of those two. CD is an abject joke, and you referencing them in this thread as your justification, does not do your credibility re: selection any favours

Last edited:
Could honestly see Libba making it. Has not had a single bad game all year, and been close to our most important player - commentators have started noticing him a lot more in the second half of this season, which could help

jayden short would be a richmond nomination. mention him here and you'd get laughed off as a bias troll. but he has been exceptional for us and has had a few people in the media talking about him, which we know is big for AA.

he wouldnt be in my first few picks from richmond but if you want a left field one, there you go.

All Australian is about individual brilliance at some specific point in time. Often the stand out players a very prominent in their particular club. It means players who can be exceptional components in well-tuned overall unit will not stand out sufficiently to be a viable option. Jake Lloyd, Rory Laird and Nick Haynes who average high stats will likely stand out more than a Dylan Grimes.

The real all Australian Team for 2020 will be the team that wins on Grand Final day ...

All Australian is about individual brilliance at some specific point in time. Often the stand out players a very prominent in their particular club. It means players who can be exceptional components in well-tuned overall unit will not stand out sufficiently to be a viable option. Jake Lloyd, Rory Laird and Nick Haynes who average high stats will likely stand out more than a Dylan Grimes.

The real all Australian Team for 2020 will be the team that wins on Grand Final day ...
Translation:

NEEDS MORE RICHMOND!!

This is possibly the worst side I've seen in the entirety of this 144 page thread. Butters, Gray, Oliver, Gawn, Bont, Gaff, are all no chance - let alone Bont at full forward, taking a spot from Wallis, Papley or Butler - none of which are mentioned. Also missing at least one of Guthrie, Dusty, Danger, Vlastuin, Menegola, Weitering, DBJ, D. Moore, T. Adams, Luke Ryan etc. - the list goes on.

The fact you use Champion Data as your measuring stick, means you probably don't watch enough footy - as CD is the most useless measurement tool when it comes to player ability. Proven by the fact that there is no perceivable universe where Oliver and Gawn have been one of the Top 5 players in the competition this year. Neale, Boak, Hawkins, Nic Nat and Petracca are all miles ahead of those two. CD is an abject joke, and you referencing them in this thread as your justification, does not do your credibility re: selection any favours

You can put a blanket over 7 guys hf/fp spots, Butters and Gray are replaceable. Butler has been average in the second half of the year, Papley has dropped off, Ryan didnt do a lot in the first half.

Gawn is still slaughtering his opponents with the exception of Nic Nat.

Danger still butchers everything, Dusty has played a handful of good games. You obviously dont look too far past the name of a player, so good one there mate.

Luke Ryan and Menegola are worthy of spots, cant always fit everyone.

Bont has arguably been the best player in the league in the second half of the year and played a fair bit forward. Deserves a spot, maybe not at a FP.

Last edited:
I know he is from my team but I really think Sicily is a massive shout...

Compare him to one of your only locks in Haynes. Sicily plays in a much worse defence with a slow midfield that struggles to apply any pressure, yet...

Sicily gets more intercepts than Haynes (Sicily is #1 in the comp), more metres gained (#1 for his role), more contested marks, more possessions, more contested possessions, higher efficiency, more rebound 50's, etc.

This is not to denigrate Haynes as I think both would be worthy but as a point of comparison as these two are ahead of everyone else for their role in my view.

I think it also helps Sicily's case that he has been in AA form for 3 seasons now. Was a certainty in 2018 until he missed 5+ games. Then last year it was a 50/50 between Sicily and Stewart. The selectors went with Stewart as his team were top 4 and arguably the best defensive side in the comp while Hawthorn were pretty average. Sicily would have been in (and clearly statistically superior) if it wasn't for Clarko throwing him forward for a couple of games where his intercepts, metres gained, etc averages obviously dropped off.

Sicily is playing better this year (and is less supported) than the last two years as well.
28669233-4F94-4F85-AA7A-ED09B3F492A8.png

Touk Miller should make the squad. He's had a really good season.

That’s a good call. I hadn’t thought of him.

For Freo Tabs could maybe make the 40 man squad.
4th for goals
4th for marks inside 50
2nd for contested marks
6th for total marks.

Yeah I agree. I think he has been mentioned a bit but just in the context of making the squad

Any Port defender of Jonas, DBJ or McKenzie and Butters

When you are top all season and only Boak is a lock with Dixon a 50/50 the 40 will get some imo.

I think Jonas has been getting a fair bit of discussion as has DBJ. Mostly just about making the squad from non port-fans though.

McKenzie would be a big surprise

Langdon is a chance. He’s been a slow burn but his second half of the season has been exceptional. He’s done pretty much all you could ask of a wing.

I’m not expecting him to be named in the squad as he’s mostly flying under the radar, but if it’s based on performance he’s a real chance of the squad. Not in genuine discussion for the final side though.

Yeah good call. Wings are harder to pick so a decent chancd

Could honestly see Libba making it. Has not had a single bad game all year, and been close to our most important player - commentators have started noticing him a lot more in the second half of this season, which could help

That would be a big surprise given the competition for mids.

jayden short would be a richmond nomination. mention him here and you'd get laughed off as a bias troll. but he has been exceptional for us and has had a few people in the media talking about him, which we know is big for AA.

he wouldnt be in my first few picks from richmond but if you want a left field one, there you go.

I think short could scrape into the squad but don’t think he is a chance for the team.

Luke McDonald

Yeah good call, it’s easy to just write off teams like north.

Translation:

NEEDS MORE RICHMOND!!

The only Richmond player who would be close would be Vlastuin. Grimes is a player you would pick for balance, but isn't flashy and has only just started getting the recognition he deserves.

Everyone is harping on about Maynard being a lock, but it could just as easily go the other way with Vlastuin who is statistically above Maynard for Intercept Marks, Intercept Possessions, Defensive Half pressure acts, Spoils and has a higher Disposal and Kicking Efficiency.

Is Bont a chance now? Never really crossed my mind that he was ever in contention this year until I saw people have him in their teams. His first half of the season was definitely far below average, but has been on fire recently.

He might be 6th or 7th in the coaches votes after the weekend. Has to be in consideration. Should definitely make the squad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back