Preview Round 18, 2020: St.Kilda v GWS - Gabba, Friday 18th September, 7:50PM AEST *MARSHALL 50TH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 52 64.2%
  • Giants

Votes: 29 35.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Our Captain doesn't have football skills

I disagree - is there another game where you have to run back with the flight like in Australian Football? Tagging is also a football skill.

Look, I think Geary being captain this year has thrown up a whole bunch of entirely predictable selection problems, but the idea that Geary was never a best 22 player is without foundation.

Carlisle is the biggest offender here. Zak Jones dropped his bundle last week. Hind also seems to feed off the emotions that come with front running.
One would hope the players are conscious of the need to either win or keep a loss to the minimum margin and fight it out.

We look a bit tired all round though, so hopefully they can get up for one more big effort, then finals is party time and they get to enjoy the moment.

Hopefully the Giants don't show up.
Probably Shaw's last game as well as Mummy, and a few blokes knowing they'll be at a different club next year.
Cameron extended for 2 more years, Lenny apparently leaving.

One of the more psychologically fascinating games of recent times..

I dare say the quality of the entries is what is killing our forwards, big and small.

Earlier in the year we were getting deep entries, being kicked from ~70m out.

Last few weeks it's been back to richoball, with long bombs from 80m-100m out landing just inside the 50.

Our smalls don't have enough time to press and hold the ball in there.

Our mids and half forwards need to take more risks in hitting tough passes, breaking tackles and running around the man on the mark so they are delivering it i50 from 70m out, not the centre line.

It's the same fix for our goal kicking accuracy.

If our mids take risks of getting pinged holding the ball or rundown, we get more quality, deep i50 entries.

If they play it safe and just throw the ball of their boot as soon as they are confronted with pressure 100m out- our fwds have no chance of locking the ball in (and getting possies themselves)

Plus our goal kicking accuracy tanks because when we DO get a shot- its from 50m out on an angle.

All the forward line problems begin and end with our midfield.
The other aspect of this is that we've clearly started to play more tempo footy, which a lot of us were calling for but: the downside is that when we are switching and retaining in the defensive half, we are doing it really slowly which is giving sides an eternity to set-up and flood our forward line.

We still aren't an elite kicking side so can't really afford to be trying pick through really heavy traffic by foot.

The breakneck play-on game has it's flaws, but it was suiting our players and personnel more than high possession keeping's off for extended periods.

Last edited:
The other aspect of this is that we've clearly started to play more tempo footy, which a lot of us were calling for but: the downside is that when we are switching and retaining in the defensive half, we are doing it really slowly which is giving sides an eternity to set-up and flood our forward line.

We still aren't an elite kicking side so can't really afford to be trying pick through a really heavy traffic by foot.

The breakneck play-on game has it's flaws, but it was suiting our players and personal more than high possession keeping's off for extended periods.
It's a complete change to how we were going at the start. Ratts mentioned a few times at the start that we were going so quick at times he wouldn't mind us slowing down a bit. Now we are going really slow a lot and not taking the game on as much

It's a complete change to how we were going at the start. Ratts mentioned a few times at the start that we were going so quick at times he wouldn't mind us slowing down a bit. Now we are going really slow a lot and not taking the game on as much
I think it’s more to do with other sides stopping our quick switch. We seem to have no other options.

this should be a belter of a game ... we have been underperforming the last few weeks and part of me is kind of wondering if the younger bodies of our team in the flurry of games and short recovery is starting to catch up on us.. no coincidence that the teams like Geelong WCE and Richmond are preforming considering the battle hardened team they have..
i think early on we were able to use guys like butler to sneak up on teams but now as the season unfolds they have grown wise to that and learnt that if you sit on buttler and take him away from the ball no-one else pick up that slack

Seems as though Carlisle is out for non-football reasons so not much point speculating about whether he'll come in.

I would like to see Roberton come in.

What is everyone's thoughts on Wilkie? particularly his defensive work, because I feel like his offensive stuff has gone downhill big time. He kicks rainbows coming out of defence when all the best distributors kick bullets and open up the play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s MFC
And they need to win to get in the 8.
So no surprises if they fu** it up.

Haha, honestly I think the only reason the bookies are taking bets on win/loss is because it's the Dees so there is some ever present base level pricing to them failing.

Essendon are completely done though. Have a look at Herbatron's 'We Are Essington Round 17' vid on youtube; it's a mix of hilarity and anxiety when you consider the Port game was in the wet and the Dees have a lot more to play for than Port did (not saying that Port didn't care about the game, but comparatively speaking).

Last edited:
Just a daily reminder that Melbourne are going to absolutely thrash the Bombers on the weekend, so we need to win this.
My mate whose a dees supporter, says the last ten years when they have played each other, he never goes into a game confident they will win. Whenever they are expected to win they lose, and vice versa

My mate whose a dees supporter, says the last ten years when they have played each other, he never goes into a game confident they will win. Whenever they are expected to win they lose, and vice versa

I wiiiish that the game could have been fixtured for tomorrow night because if they lost it would be a very lolworthy start to the weekend.

Taken from facebook. FB_IMG_1600242807350.jpg FB_IMG_1600242804536.jpg FB_IMG_1600242798546.jpg FB_IMG_1600242793745.jpg FB_IMG_1600242795906.jpg FB_IMG_1600242791523.jpg FB_IMG_1600242787982.jpg FB_IMG_1600242785311.jpg FB_IMG_1600242783149.jpg FB_IMG_1600242780325.jpg FB_IMG_1600242778082.jpg FB_IMG_1600242775443.jpg FB_IMG_1600242773285.jpg FB_IMG_1600242771008.jpg FB_IMG_1600242768449.jpg FB_IMG_1600242766339.jpg FB_IMG_1600242764015.jpg FB_IMG_1600242758600.jpg FB_IMG_1600242753979.jpg FB_IMG_1600242749329.jpg

Boys trained really well today. Last time I saw Luke training he was on very light jogging and skills by himself. Today he was running and moving really well! So was Hanners. Even Gresh was bouncing a ball around the boundary. A couple of noticeable absentees were Membrey & Jones. Was great to see Roughy out there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back