Status
Not open for further replies.

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wouldn't read anything bad into that exchange. As a few other people have pointed out Freo fans have constantly asked as well whether Rising Star and All-Australian selectors bother watching Freo games.

There's a pretty benign explanation if you're a journo. You're meant to be neutral rather than just shilling for Serong or any particular player, and having one player that looks way ahead of the pack because the others haven't met the lofty expectations put on them is way less interesting.
We've all gone decimal now Purple_Turtle - it would be ten centing for Serong.

Jonesy85

Draftee
Sep 15, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yer Dunstall is the better of the Vic-centric commies but he quite often calls the wrong blokes names, especially serong and cerra. The rest are very annoying to listen to. I hear that Mr Mayor himself is front runner to commentate the GF🤦

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
It was a ****ing weird way to present it if that was his intention. Not sure he meant for that to be the take home - luckily Dunstall and King handled it the way it needed to be. Is Ralph your Flog of the Year? Think it's his to lose atm.
would King have a bet on that? :cool:

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yer Dunstall is the better of the Vic-centric commies but he quite often calls the wrong blokes names, especially serong and cerra

It has happened more this season because they aren't at the ground. I think he knows the two players pretty well, can comment on them individually and what they have done in past games.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah Dunstall's one of the good ones. Though it's a shame that "doing your job well" is such a pleasant surprise when it comes to AFL commentators.

Its not like these guys are on small money either right.

There are only 9 games a week, if you can't watch all those games I'm not sure why you are in the business - but there seems to be zero accountability.

Dunstall, Brown, Dal Santo, Lloyd these blokes appear to watch every game. But then you have guys like Whately, Robbo, BT, Healy etc who clearly only watch 2-3 games a week (and are behind the push to make the game shorter).

showemhowtorock

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Dunstall is great, i've really like him since the start of the year when he was commentating the scratch match against the eagles and he called out Shuey for being a dick to banfield and stuck up for him. He has commentated quite a few of our games this season so has got to know us really well, it showed in the Freo v Richmond game where he was the only one who gave Freo any love. He has a man crush on Crowden too, always gives him love haha

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Dal Santo makes me want to cut my ears off chopper Style. Everytime he talks it sounds like hes I. A job interview or giving a class discussion in front of the teacher. Full teaches pet but in a very fake way.
Loves to say player X is a good/great ball user or the "outside class". Pretty sure he described Coniglio like that and I'm all like, "Do you even watch football?".

Jonesy85

Draftee
Sep 15, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
I dunno what his deal is but commentates like he's trying to sell you a car. Full on pyschopant

The thing Dunstall has going for him is that he is not a moron. Intelligent man and it shows.
the only major negative to him is sometimes going about goal kicking or players coming off the ground after kicking a goal, but even then on occasions like the weekend it was entertaining
Dunstall consistently impresses me with his knowledge of players.

There are a bunch of commentators like BT and Healy etc who don't know the Fremantle players. At least Dunstall appears to watch every game.
i reckon Healy watches most but point taken, someone like Luke Darcy wouldn’t have a clue (still remember Weller kicking a goal on the run from 45m out to the commentary of ‘Ed Langdon’s kicked a big goal just before HT’)

Wilksyy

Tab on a 🦀
Aug 26, 2018
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Leeds Utd
Dal Santo makes me want to cut my ears off chopper Style. Everytime he talks it sounds like hes I. A job interview or giving a class discussion in front of the teacher. Full teaches pet but in a very fake way.

The thing with Dal Santo is he’s not your typical footy jock. He’s a nerd that happens to be good at footy.

malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals
I don't think he is a nerd or if he is, he is one of the not smart ones.
To be a ‘nerd’ in footy commentary you just need to be youngish and capable of stringing together sentences

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
the only major negative to him is sometimes going about goal kicking or players coming off the ground after kicking a goal, but even then on occasions like the weekend it was entertaining

he has been doing it for so long i think he feels like he is obligated to go off on people kicking along the ground, or coming off the ground after goals etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back