Preview 2020 AFL National Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh. My maths. In my brain that was 1350. But agree that just scraping past their points value is unlikely to be enough.

As a principle wouldn't the Bulldogs or another club in the same position take the view that swapping their pick simply for the points value down the draft is not worth doing? They may as well take JUH with their first-round pick. Am I missing something?

I think worth that for the way he plays, but injury concerns really lower his price on the free market.

Yep, just checked and he has played 94 of a potential of circa 135 in his time at the Crows and most of his missed games have been soft tissue I think. So there would definitely be a durability question mark discount.

The kid is truly exciting, but I am not convinced he'll end up the best player from the draft.

The best looking kid at 18 rarely becomes the best player of that draft. That being said, if you are considered one of the best of your age group then you have a high probability of being a good player.

Yep, just checked and he has played 94 of a potential of circa 135 in his time at the Crows and most of his missed games have been soft tissue I think. So there would definitely be a durability question mark discount.
Missed a year with a broken leg, and missed a year for a groin injury. The other years are mostly hammy, so yep.

Unfortunately for Jackson, he’s a Melbourne supporter… and they’re all over him like a cheap suit! In fact his whole family are paid up Melbourne members

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Another reason why we should get him........... ;)

Missed a year with a broken leg, and missed a year for a groin injury. The other years are mostly hammy, so yep.

I suspect someone will bite at the high end of Gerard's range - 4 x 600 or thereabouts. Probably enough to get an end of first-round pick, remembering that Buddy delivered an end of first-round for 9 x $1m.

Sorry to intrude but I think it's worth adding that Crouch is currently on $650k to $700k, so 'valuing him at $500k' is unlikely, and second that Gerard Whately is a massive Geelong fan, and who are looking to pick him up? Geelong, Essendon, Sydney. It's just a game being played out in the media, and unfortunately not as transparent and even-toned an article as it first appears.

Perhaps the truth is somewhere between Adelaide and Geelongs' perspective?

I reckon Crouch would be prepared to shave price for length of contract.

I suspect someone will bite at the high end of Gerard's range - 4 x 600 or thereabouts. Probably enough to get an end of first-round pick, remembering that Buddy delivered an end of first-round for 9 x $1m.
Didn't the hawks win the flag that year....so it was pick 19?
I can't remember, but that's what i thought happened

Yep, and not one them reckoned Phillips played better than Rowell.

It would appear to be the case as far as their underage years went.

Are you sure you interpreted the correct context?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buddy was band 1, but hawks finished on top.

This is the exact reason why this system is so flawed. The pick should be based on the player, not team ladder position.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

As a principle wouldn't the Bulldogs or another club in the same position take the view that swapping their pick simply for the points value down the draft is not worth doing? They may as well take JUH with their first-round pick. Am I missing something?
There's no point swapping them for an equivalent from the Dogs' perspective. They could try to increase their number of points. If I'm not mistaken they can't just grab him with their R1 pick. They need to stump up 2400 points if he's bid on at pick 1 so they may go into deficit for the following year if they finish high enough / don't have enough points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back