Not open for further replies.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
Caldwell could be a star. He could also be no more than an average player.

You can say he is a much better player than Dunstan but by that stage of his career, Dunstan had shown much more than Caldwell has. Nothing he has produced at AFL level this far suggests he is some rarity in the AFL system.
There’s a reason we tried to trade back into the draft to grab Caldwell, at tac cup level he was a gun with all the tools.

I watched dunstan in the championships and he was very good for SA but obviously was going to struggle to produce at the same level in the AFL. I could give you the usual opportunity, injuries and strength of list arguments but ultimately Caldwell has the tools to be a gun, dunstan unfortunately doesn’t.

All players carry risks and some obviously never live up to expectations, I’d still rather take my chances with A grade potential than C grade.

Yep.
The Cats would have played Chapman and Johnston as mids if they hadn't had Ablett, Selwood, Corey, Ling and Bartel.
They would have been OK too.
Stevie J’s numbers when he played in the midfield were pretty damn good. Almost 12 CP average one year then just over 10 the next. Geelong were a good team when he was a mid but they were winning flags when he was a forward, that’s where we need to get to.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
These decisions don't get made in a vacuum.
You think we still would have been happy to let bruce go for peanuts if we didn't have king?
You are correct. We had King for a year and was ready to go.

We got a second for Bruce and got Jones I think.
We would not get a top 5 for Ross, so the second round thing is a furphy.

We may get a quality mid for s good mid, we may not, but we need to try and improve the list.

Jun 21, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Am I the only one who thinks Adam Saad for $500k a year is crazy?

One of the best attacking defenders in the game but also pretty elite one on one. If we were planning to move Hunter into the middle, I’d absolutely be having a look at Saad. Would fit our game plan nicely as well
Prefers to be in Navy blue.

Captain Paddy

All Australian
Oct 19, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
You are correct. We had King for a year and was ready to go.

We got a second for Bruce and got Jones I think.
We would not get a top 5 for Ross, so the second round thing is a furphy.

We may get a quality mid for s good mid, we may not, but we need to try and improve the list.

Got two picks for Bruce, one of them was used in the deal to get Jones. From that Jones deal we also got 59 which we used to get Butler.

In a round about way, we traded Bruce and change for Jones, Butler and Byrnes.

And before that we took pick 6, Steven, Acres and change and got Hill, Howard and Ryder.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Got two picks for Bruce, one of them was used in the deal to get Jones. From that Jones deal we also got 59 which we used to get Butler.

In a round about way, we traded Bruce and change for Jones, Butler and Byrnes.

And before that we took pick 6, Steven, Acres and change and got Hill, Howard and Ryder.
And that’s what we needed to do as a bottom 6 side. We are now hopefully a Top 8 sides so we need to add more quality to get even further up the ladder. We now need that star mid somehow. The problem is Ross doesn’t get it on his own. The last thing we want is to be stuck between 6th and 10th. We need only one star mid and a young mid with maybe potential. Caldwell like and at least crouch like. Certainly not a star but if that’s the best we can get he is a very good mid Ideally it degoey or petracca but that’s fantasyland stuff.

Gosaints12

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ferrari
Seems like he had some good mentoring and coaching along the way. Its hard to say that his development hadn't been handled well.

If they didn't put time into him, well sorry that's crap.
We need to try to make every draft pick work.

Of course the aim from the club is to make every pick work. I believe that inside the top 15 you will get a 82 game player, from pick 15, with pick 1 averaging 155. That how hard it is.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Captain Paddy

All Australian
Oct 19, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
And that’s what we needed to do as a bottom 6 side. We are now hopefully a Top 8 sides so we need to add more quality to get even further up the ladder. We now need that star mid somehow. The problem is Ross doesn’t get it on his own. The last thing we want is to be stuck between 6th and 10th. We need only one star mid and a young mid with maybe potential. Caldwell like and at least crouch like. Certainly not a star but if that’s the best we can get he is a very good mid Ideally it degoey or petracca but that’s fantasyland stuff.

Agreed, been saying it for a while. We’ll be a genuine contender when we finally have enough the midfield depth to replace the Hind/Lonie/Kent positions with resting mids.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'd love to see an off season like this....

Free Agency
Williams (If not Crouch)
Isaac Smith

Trades in
Caldwell for a future 2nd

Trades out
Calisle for a late 2nd early 3rd
Dunstan for similar

That gives us a heap of 3rd to 4th round picks to trade up with clubs that have academy players

Take our first rounder to the draft to use on a mid that can go forward or a pure mid

Back Battle to play CHB

Might need to also look at bringing in a young ruck

I'd love to see an off season like this....

Free Agency
Williams (If not Crouch)
Isaac Smith

Trades in
Caldwell for a future 2nd

Trades out
Calisle for a late 2nd early 3rd
Dunstan for similar

That gives us a heap of 3rd to 4th round picks to trade up with clubs that have academy players

Take our first rounder to the draft to use on a mid that can go forward or a pure mid

Back Battle to play CHB

Might need to also look at bringing in a young ruck

agree with this, minus Crouch. hoping we are in the market for a CHB, genuine inside mid and a small forward.

i think we need to let Libba hit the draft hard.

snails13

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
There’s a reason we tried to trade back into the draft to grab Caldwell, at tac cup level he was a gun with all the tools.

I watched dunstan in the championships and he was very good for SA but obviously was going to struggle to produce at the same level in the AFL. I could give you the usual opportunity, injuries and strength of list arguments but ultimately Caldwell has the tools to be a gun, dunstan unfortunately doesn’t.

All players carry risks and some obviously never live up to expectations, I’d still rather take my chances with A grade potential than C grade.
I think you will find that Caldwell will prove how good he can be when he becomes a Permanent member of a Starting 22.
Yes Yawkey he does have all the Tools to be a Gun.
Here in Bendigo Juniors and also in TAC Jye was leader of the pack (Not a 4th or 5th in line Player, like he is at GWS)and proved to be every bit a Future Star.
Hope we sign him in the Trade period

From 45

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Who said that? My post said Ross can obviously play and therefore has currency but would not be a B&F in a top 8 team.

Even this year if we make it, no way Ross is a B&F winner.
I think he can play and would have currency, but we need to improve our list, especially mids.
Nothing at all about him not good enough to play in a top eight team.
"
"Obviously can play, but in a top 8 team is not a B&F winner"

My point still stands unless I'm confusing myself with what you're saying.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
agree with this, minus Crouch. hoping we are in the market for a CHB, genuine inside mid and a small forward.

I dont think it's a great year to be hitting the draft hard.

There are some really good mids around where our pick will be.

Getting Caldwell after two years is as good as going to the draft.

I don't see the small forward as a huge issue if we can strengthen the midfield and allow Gresham to spend more time there. Butler is the leading goal kicker for small forwards for the year and Gresham is a proven goal kicker when he plays there too.

Captain Paddy

All Australian
Oct 19, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
I dont think it's a great year to be hitting the draft hard.

There are some really good mids around where our pick will be.

Getting Caldwell after two years is as good as going to the draft.

I don't see the small forward as a huge issue if we can strengthen the midfield and allow Gresham to spend more time there. Butler is the leading goal kicker for small forwards for the year and Gresham is a proven goal kicker when he plays there too.

The benefit of going after guys like Caldwell instead of hitting the draft means that our first pick might go further. Instead of just getting one guy, if we split it or package it with something else, we might get multiple guys who were first rounders in the last few years.

Seems pretty smart, especially with this draft being so stuffed

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
The benefit of going after guys like Caldwell instead of hitting the draft means that our first pick might go further. Instead of just getting one guy, if we split it or package it with something else, we might get multiple guys who were first rounders in the last few years.

I’d rather the chance of one star than two good players. The lower the pick the better. Pelchen loved splitting picks. That was a disaster.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda

I'd prefer we just try and keep our first and use a 2nd.

I think the Giants will be pushing hard for our first in some way though. He is highly rated there and they know how highly we rated him in his draft year.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda

I reckon next year is the one to hit the draft again.
Better quality, hopefully less compromised, fits our OOC situation, and a solid number of over ages that miss out this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back