May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hmmm. I said something similar a little while ago, and copped some heat, suggesting we’d fall back a little while other teams stepped up.

I agree with whoever it was who said the one who is likely to be the hardest to replace is Rich. He has really grown into that role and there is no-one that we have seen so far who looks like they can step in and fill his shoes. With that said he seems to be trucking along pretty well body wise (touch wood) and I would be hoping for 2 or 3 more years playing the elder statesman distributor role back there. We have been stocking up on small / medium defenders for a few years. Hopefully they can all come together as a really solid unit.

Zorko is a bit more interesting. I rate Dayne as a player but actually think we will not miss him too much when he departs. We have to compensate for two small players in the midfield at the moment and that can sometimes be not very effective. When Dayne retires we will play differently and it could actually allow us to be more balanced and more effective notwithstanding the loss of a good player in there. It will free up time in the middle for Rayner at a time when he should be starting to demand it and it takes pressure off having to try and manufacture forward time for Berry. We also have Robertson who I think will be a very nice player on the inside if we can free up time there and I like Coleman in that half forward linking role that Dayne sometimes plays on the outside.

Berry Jnr I think is already very capable of playing the lower possession hard nut role that Mitch has played this year. His disposal skills are likely to be better. Another preseason and I think his running should get him where it needs to be.

Big O has already stepped up into the number 1 ruck role. He is better in the centre bounce and up forward but we do give away a bit around the ground. There is upside still with Oscar as well. So again different but not necessarily worse.

Overall I have confidence that we will manage the group so that not everyone departs at once and I think we can adjust and maintain current levels. The critical mass will be in a couple of years when Neale is approaching retirement. Then it will depend on how well the current first and second years develop.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not sure if anyone posted it earlier, but there's a video on the AFL website featuring Cal Twomey and Riley Beveridge discussing trade rumours. The stuff about us is the obvious talking points, we're looking at Daniher and Brown, we were considering Dixon before he re-signed, Victorian clubs are circling Witherden.

Twomey also thinks a pick in the early 20s will be enough for Brown.

Maybe they've given up on Cameron re-signing :think:...................

............and have decided to shore up what they can now.
Crossed my mind. I would've been ok with Finlayson being delisted to be quite honest. I don't see what he offers a team that should be competing for at least top 4 positions when he doesn't provide a consistent impact against decent teams.

Mar 13, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Bruins, Dodgers, Bulls, SEM Phoenix
My wish is Starce to move to the middle this off season and become that bigger body player. I love his evasiveness and wouldn't be beaten that easily, he'll look awesome in the middle or wing. We could either get Prior going in defense or recruit a Perryman to be that utility defender.
This has always been the plan for him, but given how well he has been playing down back and starting to grow confidence is generating some run from half back, at what point does he become too valuable down there. He is a very good mark for his size and is capable of defending both small and medium players.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Victorian clubs are circling Witherden.
Hopefully Alex and the club resist any knee jerk decision here.

Sure he's only played 6 games this year, but so too have many players early in their careers. Doesn't mean they up and leave or don't stick around and fight for their spot.

I agree with whoever it was who said the one who is likely to be the hardest to replace is Rich. He has really grown into that role and there is no-one that we have seen so far who looks like they can step in and fill his shoes. With that said he seems to be trucking along pretty well body wise (touch wood) and I would be hoping for 2 or 3 more years playing the elder statesman distributor role back there. We have been stocking up on small / medium defenders for a few years. Hopefully they can all come together as a really solid unit.

Zorko is a bit more interesting. I rate Dayne as a player but actually think we will not miss him too much when he departs. We have to compensate for two small players in the midfield at the moment and that can sometimes be not very effective. When Dayne retires we will play differently and it could actually allow us to be more balanced and more effective notwithstanding the loss of a good player in there. It will free up time in the middle for Rayner at a time when he should be starting to demand it and it takes pressure off having to try and manufacture forward time for Berry. We also have Robertson who I think will be a very nice player on the inside if we can free up time there and I like Coleman in that half forward linking role that Dayne sometimes plays on the outside.

Berry Jnr I think is already very capable of playing the lower possession hard nut role that Mitch has played this year. His disposal skills are likely to be better. Another preseason and I think his running should get him where it needs to be.

Big O has already stepped up into the number 1 ruck role. He is better in the centre bounce and up forward but we do give away a bit around the ground. There is upside still with Oscar as well. So again different but not necessarily worse.

Overall I have confidence that we will manage the group so that not everyone departs at once and I think we can adjust and maintain current levels. The critical mass will be in a couple of years when Neale is approaching retirement. Then it will depend on how well the current first and second years develop.

Rayner himself on the roar deal last says he thinks he is a genuine forward who will spend minutes in the mid field. Got the impression that was a set future for him.

I can't see Geelong giving a list spot to Allison.
Has no trade value at all. Hasn't appeared to be even close to selection this year and really has shown very little when ever he has played at the top level. To be contrasted with recently traded/delisted players Josh Walker, Ben Keays and Squizzy Taylor who all showed they could play at the top level, just not consistently.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I’m wondering if we have any contracted players going out?

As has been mentioned multiple times, potential list squeeze this year, and I’ve been thinking it’s going to be hard to bring in even one or two traded in players, without contracted players moving on.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Also Headland up to 2002 who was a pretty good player for us before he was Fremantled

Des going "home" to Fremantle was a very bad career move for him.

Actually, the word at the time was that it was not so much that he that wanted out but his partner/wife who was pining for family support back in Perth.

FromOldFitzroy

Senior List
Jan 29, 2011
Werribee
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Headland was able to deliver the ball to Lynch in a way that left the full-back very little chance. Did it many times.
Des was a very good front/forward of the pack player.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Des going "home" to Fremantle was a very bad career move for him.

Actually, the word at the time was that it was not so much that he that wanted out but his partner/wife who was pining for family support back in Perth.
Des admitted after his career that he shouldn’t have left Brisbane and was a bad decision.

Probably the old adage that the grass isn’t necessarily always greener on the other side.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Des admitted after his career that he shouldn’t have left Brisbane and was a bad decision.

Probably the old adage that the grass isn’t necessarily always greener on the other side.

I vividly remember the PF at the Gabba in 2002 when we easily accounted for Port.

They were handing out Des Headland cardboard masks ....,the ones with the cut out eyes ................and thousands of Lions supporters donned them in a unified show of how much we loved Des and so very much wanted him to stay....and him happily waving to the crowd at the end of the game and giving us all the impression that he was on board for 2003.

Then at the B&F Dinner after we won the Flag in 2002, he VERY sheepishly thanked the Club for the Premiership medal that he got .......

...and that was pretty much a goodbye.

Funny thing was that his parents, who had moved to Brisbane after he got drafted, supposedly stayed here after Des left and reportedly remained avid Lions supporters for several years after.

Or so I heard.

Also bear in mind our list demographics. Zorko, Martin, Rich, Robbo, and probably someone else I've forgotten are a few years off retirement and would be hard to replace. It's literally this year and possibly next year as our window fully open with what we have. I reckon after those names are retired we may go back a little bit as the BAileys, Mccluggaes, Bery's get more consistency and the next tier start to step up. REckon we can steal a premiership this or next year, and go again in 4 years time with a new list.

If we don't make the grand final I fully expect we will go mature aged recruit in this off season. We are missing some depth and a few key pieces IMO.
Ive touched on our list structure previously in this thread, but the great thing about having Andrews, Mccluggage, Berry, Rayner and Hipwood, is that young core should allow us to constantly add to and give us a decent period of competitiveness.

After Rayners impressive game against GC and the constant comparisons to Dusty, it got me thinking that core isn’t too Dissimilar to Richmonds core of Dusty, Cotch, Riewoldt and Rance that has largely built the current success they’re having now. I understand that gloss over Edwards, Grimes, Prestia Vlaustin Etc who are really solid to exceptional players also, hopefully Bailey, Starc, Answerth can build to those levels.

I do feel very much the same, we’re every chance to potentially grab a premiership in the next few years if everything goes right, before a slight dip to go again. If we’re able to grab a couple of decent 25-27 year olds, it could bridge the gap perfectly.

To me, the biggest concern is our second ruck option. I think Big O has shown enough, and I’m not 100% sure we will get a better option in the current market, where a few clubs will be looking. Brown ticks a few boxes for me, gives us a genuinely good tall leading target, thats different to Hipwood and McStay Crash and bash, would allow both them to work up the ground where they’ve showed some decent signs lately. A genuinely reliable set shot, with an option to give Oscar a rest or even play him a kick behind play when the balls in our forward 50.

HBF, with Rich’s and Birchalls age, this will need addressing, Witherden hasnt held his spot, be still contracted. I’ve always like Hinge when I seen him play and hope he sticks around. Honestly always seems to be a HBF or two on the move every trade period, don’t think it’s a priority for those reasons.

The area where we really lack against the other contending teams, are intercepting defenders. Richmond absolutely shut Hawkins down when Grimes had little to no responsibilities, WC has McGovern, Hurn, Sheppard. Geelong are well drilled. GWS when in song Haynes and Davis. This is why it’s great to see Payne getting a decent run in the senior, this could potentially free Andrews down the track. I wouldn’t at all be against bringing in another mature KPD, Adams hasn’t quiet worked out and if Payne needs another year to develop.

By all the reports we seem to be looking pretty hard for another recruit, think Brown for one our first rounders would be great value, potentially a bargain pick up with Cockatoo. And given their track record, we seem to like to keep a selection no later than mid 20s to continue to add talented youth of our list.

I vividly remember the PF at the Gabba in 2002 when we easily accounted for Port.

They were handing out Des Headland cardboard masks ....,the ones with the cut out eyes ................and thousands of Lions supporters donned them in a unified show of how much we loved Des and so very much wanted him to stay....and him happily waving to the crowd at the end of the game and giving us all the impression that he was on board for 2003.

Haha, I'd forgotten all about that.

Hmmm. I said something similar a little while ago, and copped some heat, suggesting we’d fall back a little while other teams stepped up.

I don’t think you copped heat from suggesting we might fall back a little, more that we should concentrate on drafting now for that period after the expected decline, potentially let a really good opportunity slip now.

I'm getting better at long term recollections than short term stuff these days.

Old age is a terrible thing:shoutyoldman:

way way better than the alternative though.

short term memory is overrated. I don’t want to remember how much harder everything is now, I want to remember when I was young/er and invincible. And the lions were winning premierships. Go the long term memory!!

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Would be one more top midfielder give us true domination in the centre? I find myself thinking back to the days of the Fab Four steamrolling everyone on the way to three flags. While Neale is elite and Lyons and Zorko are very good, I'm not convinced our midfield as it is will get over the top in a grand final. Perhaps there's someone who can be shaken free of another club for one of our picks. Would Cunnington fit the bill? Could we go for a package deal with Brown and Cunnington?
I would love another gun mid to add to our side. I think we'd be very, very difficult to beat with another prime mover rolling through the midfield. I'm hopeful Starcevich could become a quality midfielder though or even Dev Robertson stepping into the side and contributing in a meaningful way.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I don’t think you copped heat from suggesting we might fall back a little, more that we should concentrate on drafting now for that period after the expected decline, potentially let a really good opportunity slip now.
I’m all for trading both of this years first round picks if they net us a genuine A grader the same age as Neale or younger.

With Blake Coleman from the academy and the possibility of a young ruck in the mid to late second round, I do see value later in this draft.

What I wasn’t convinced by, were the names being thrown around as potential and realistic trade targets.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I would love another gun mid to add to our side. I think we'd be very, very difficult to beat with another prime mover rolling through the midfield. I'm hopeful Starcevich could become a quality midfielder though or even Dev Robertson stepping into the side and contributing in a meaningful way.
We potentially have one on the horizon, but he’s 6 years younger than McCluggage.

Back