List Mgmt. 2020 List Management II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he's not we made a huge mistake for the player we rated @ #6 in the 2018 draft. :)
Look, it will be his third year next year and he looked very good in the midfield to me via the pre-season. Absolute bull.

I haven't watched a lot of The Tigers, but Graham has rarely impressed me.
He's averaging 13 touches a game this year across plenty of games.
Maybe he just looks better to some being in a good team.

He's just not the type we need....to me..

he isn’t a bad player but to offer him enough money to make him move just seems crazy to me.

Without trying to upset anyone or cause more controversy here, is it fair to say that for whatever reason (including many not his own fault) Paddy Dow had simply not come as we all expected or hoped by now ?
Oddly enough I feel far more confident in SPS (another whipping boy on this board) turning out to be a great player for us, I have seen many games/flashes of brilliance from SPS, but I have yet to get a similar vibe about Dow sadly.

Just my observation from afar, aka my couch.. This comment is directed at no poster here specifically btw, but I am really worried about Dow and his development (or lack thereof)

I think SPS once the the club and Teague finally figure out his position, which imho is an attacking winger/Half Forward Flanker, he will be fine.

We know he's a stupid old man, but this really tells you a lot assuming it's true.

With 5 picks in the 2012 National Draft, SOS selects
  • Whitfield (good)
  • O'Rourke (crap)
  • Plowman (crap)
  • Jacksch (crap)

Before Grundy was taken 18. And now we find out the Senior Coach was pleading the List Manager for them to take the best ruckman, aruably best player from that draft.

SOS is not the list management demi-god many on here make him out to be. He's possibly torched quite a number of our premium picks with Dow, LOB and SPS immediately coming to mind.

The indications that Austin is the consummate professional couldn't be any more welcome in my mind. Our football department stank a bit while St SOS was there.

Without trying to upset anyone or cause more controversy here, is it fair to say that for whatever reason (including many not his own fault) Paddy Dow had simply not come as we all expected or hoped by now ?
Oddly enough I feel far more confident in SPS (another whipping boy on this board) turning out to be a great player for us, I have seen many games/flashes of brilliance from SPS, but I have yet to get a similar vibe about Dow sadly.

Just my observation from afar, aka my couch.. This comment is directed at no poster here specifically btw, but I am really worried about Dow and his development (or lack thereof)

I think SPS once the the club and Teague finally figure out his position, which imho is an attacking winger/Half Forward Flanker, he will be fine.
Yup agree with you, I'd add O'Brien and Stocker too as other high draft picked youngsters, latent talents taking longer that expected to produce and contribute to our team. Its a concern.

We know he's a stupid old man, but this really tells you a lot assuming it's true.

• Whitfield (good)
  • O'Rourke (crap)
  • Plowman (crap)
  • Jacksch (crap)

Before Grundy was taken 18. And now we find out the Senior Coach was pleading the List Manager for them to take the best ruckman, aruably best player from that draft.

SOS is not the list management demi-god many on here make him out to be. He's possibly torched quite a number of our premium picks with Dow, LOB and SPS immediately coming to mind.

The indications that Austin is the consummate professional couldn't be any more welcome in my mind. Our football department stank a bit while St SOS was there.
Fair to say SOS stuffed that up.. 5 top 20 picks and misses on Grundy.

• Whitfield (good)
  • O'Rourke (crap)
  • Plowman (crap)
  • Jacksch (crap)

I'll bet Kevin Sheedy (nor any ex-coach) will want to tell you about the players they wanted, didn't get, but turned out to be duds.

I don't think we have to look too far to find examples of such :)

I'll bet Kevin Sheedy (nor any ex-coach) will want to tell you about the players they wanted, didn't get, but turned out to be duds.

I don't think we have to look too far to find examples of such :)
Bet he wanted Billy Longer from the year before if he was after the best young ruckman the year before. The reality was at the time they were fine for rucks with Mummy they just need to find a decent replacement in the last 5 years.

• Whitfield (good)
  • O'Rourke (crap)
  • Plowman (crap)
  • Jacksch (crap)

SOS got a few wrong, he's not the God list manager that many think he is, but he's above average imo.

Very good at trading and is a creative thinker. But not the best drafter.

Nobody nails every pick though, it's actually impossible. All 44 players on a list can't be freaks, even if they're all 1st rounders.

• Whitfield (good)
  • O'Rourke (crap)
  • Plowman (crap)
  • Jacksch (crap)

I’ve always said he is no better then the majority of list managers but he was exactly what we needed at the time he came to the club and done a bloody good job.

SOS got a few wrong, he's not the God list manager that many think he is, but he's above average imo.

Nobody nails every pick though, it's actually impossible. All 44 players on a list can't be freaks, even if they're all 1st rounders.

This is my biggest conundrum when assessing SOSs role at our club, I really like the way he traded some players to get a very good draft haul in 2015, I loved how he got max value out of Gibbs and I liked his future pick trading with the Crows, it’s when you bring recruiting in to the equation that the waters get quite muddy for mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he's not we made a huge mistake for the player we rated @ #6 in the 2018 draft. :)
Look, it will be his third year next year and he looked very good in the midfield to me via the pre-season. Absolute bull.

I haven't watched a lot of The Tigers, but Graham has rarely impressed me.
He's averaging 13 touches a game this year across plenty of games.
Maybe he just looks better to some being in a good team.

He's just not the type we need....to me..
I actually agree I don’t think Graham would add much that we don’t already have ... still think though we need more depth in the midfield in the form of players we already know what they could bring ... in addition to the youngsters coming on of course ...

I actually agree I don’t think Graham would add much that we don’t already have ... still think though we need more depth in the midfield in the form of players we already know what they could bring ... in addition to the youngsters coming on of course ...
He seems to be the Tigers version of Setterfield but - according to most of the tiger supporters on the main board - with a lot more 'leadership' qualities. That seems to be one of his strengths.

Yes it has

I posted this in another thread:

Our results this year, and then the corresponding game last year for those we played:
It should be noted that the Cats game was the last game of the year, our only smashing. We haven't played our last game of the year yet, let's see if we can improve against the Lions.

Richmond - Lost by 24, last year lost by 28
Melbourne - Lost by 1, last year lost by 5
Geelong - Won by 2, last year lost by 68
* - won by 1, (didn't play)
Saints - Lost by 18, last year won by 10
Dogs - Won by 52, last year lost by 3
Port - Lost by 3 (didn't play)
North - Won by 7 (didn't play)
Hawks - Lost by 31 (didn't play)
West Coast - Lost by 22, last year lost by 24
Freo - Won by 4, last year won by 4
Suns - Won by 33, last year won by 24
Pies - Lost by 24 (didn't play)
Giants - Lost by 9 (didn't play)
Swans - Won by 5, last year won by 7
Adelaide - Lost by 16, last year won by 27
Brisbane - last year won by 15

We've gone from 6-5 and 95.5% to 7-9 and a 95.6%

From the 10 clubs we played last year, we had a huge improvement against Cats and Dogs, but the rest was either very similar, or worse.
We've also had a much more settled backline this year.

It really doesn't look like improvement.

Our results this year, and then the corresponding game last year for those we played:
It should be noted that the Cats game was the last game of the year, our only smashing. We haven't played our last game of the year yet, let's see if we can improve against the Lions.

From the 10 clubs we played last year, we had a huge improvement against Cats and Dogs, but the rest was either very similar, or worse.

Just hold that thought

Last year lost to the Eagles in Melbourne by 4 goals, this year lost by 4 goals in Perth.
Last year beat the last placed Suns in Melbourne kicking 15.9 to 11.9, this year beat the 14th placed Suns 7.18 to 4.3

Last year we didn't spend almost the entire season travelling & have 2 stints in quarantine. Last year we got to play in front of large vocal (often one sided) crowds. Last year we could train as an entire group every training session which makes it easier to correct deficiencies. Last year we had Kreuzer for 9 of 11 post round 11 games.

Even if they were you wouldn't necessarily know it because half of them just wouldn't get the opportunity to show their stuff in the senior team...and would then become 'busts'.

His trading and overall list management I think were his biggest strengths.

Did incredibly well to pull off convoluted trades to secure the Charlie Curnow pick and everything involved with the Gibbs trade for example. Turned Hendo into McKay. Yarran into Cunners etc.

Then from a list management perspective he had the foresight to focus on KPP's in 2015 which is starting to pay off. We also heard how the moment he became our LM he worked to reduce the size of our contracts as our guys were on way too much coin.

top 5 not best 22? i think there are better ball winners out there to go after than merrett. We can aim to finish 5th-8th or aim for better players to get us better than 5th-8th
I am not a massive wrap on Merrett either but I think if he was playing along side Cripps, Setters and Ed doing the bash and crash in the middle and had Walsh helping shoulder some of the load he could be very valuable. The problem he has at the minute is that Heppell, Shiel, McGrath, Parish and him are all the same player - none of them are are to impose themselves on the stoppages, none of them do much defensively, mainly the just accumulate.

I am not a massive wrap on Merrett either but I think if he was playing along side Cripps, Setters and Ed doing the bash and crash in the middle and had Walsh helping shoulder some of the load he could be very valuable. The problem he has at the minute is that Heppell, Shiel, McGrath, Parish and him are all the same player - none of them are are to impose themselves on the stoppages, none of them do much defensively, mainly the just accumulate.
I don't get the point that you are trying to make. Merrett is not a contested ball winner. Happens to have elite disposal which we are seeking. You certainly want the ball in his hands kicking it to our forwards instead of our mids.

Yes, that is fair to say. But if we're really being fair we can't ignore the context.

Paddy had a very good first year and a good first half of his second year. Teague came in, moved him out of the middle and he has struggled since, not to mention battling with a few injury issues along the way,

We all want our kids to develop quickly and fully, but development isn't linear nor is it consistent from kid to kid. Not every kid will come in and dominate from day like Walsh, he is very much the exception rather than the rule.

Dow has become a bit of a whipping boy of late, but a 20 year old kid playing inconsistent footy and still finding his feet is very, very common.

I'm not worried about Dow unless we continue to play him outside of his natural position. He's a mid, not a forward. And I think he'll be a very good one in time.

• Whitfield (good)
  • O'Rourke (crap)
  • Plowman (crap)
  • Jacksch (crap)

There's an interesting debate to be had here, but I'm not sure that's really what you are looking for.

Every single list manager in the history of sport has had big misses, SOS is no different.

Name who you believe the best in the business to be, and I guarantee we can find errors that list manager has made. Errors - not just one, but many.

Suggesting one missed pick tarnishes his reputation is a massive stretch.

Also find it funny we bemoan non-recruiting staff for reportedly involving themselves in our own recruiting, yet here you are suggesting it's the domain of the head coach to intervene.

• Whitfield (good)
  • O'Rourke (crap)
  • Plowman (crap)
  • Jacksch (crap)

just a question: anyone ever heard sheeds say he got anything wrong ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back